The moment that made you SERIOUS about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    edit> error :ohwell:
  • Shannah256
    Shannah256 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Three things motivated me all at once:
    1) The first time I heard my thighs slap together a s I ran upstairs.. ewwww
    2) The fact that my sister had lost 2stone
    3) The thought that I would be be fat When I went on my holiday in March

and thats all I have to remember to keep me on track :)
  • SunshineDancerr
    Options
    My ahaaa moment came not too long ago.

I always thought that the younger kids in my life looked up to me being the cool young adult (20) that I am.
    My fiance's little sister is one of those kids and I adore her to death. She's 7 and recently she started asking me why I was "chubby"? Well, apparently her grandma had said something about me needing to go on a diet and that I was fat and she heard but then her grandma said that it's not nice to call people fat, it hurts their feelings so if you must call someone/something fat call them/it chubby instead.

She made a playhouse out of cardboard but she told me I was too big to go in it because I would take up all the room....

Her innocence and honesty to the situation is what got me thinking that I am not where I need to be and I need to set a good and healthy example for her.

I am also not fond of the fact that my fiance's family thinks I'm "chubby" and that they were talking about it in front of her.... >=/
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was close to 18 stones. I had a good friends, nice job but could not get my weight under control. I had been big all of my adult life and could not see a way to get the weight down. It was a month before my 26th birthday and i was depressed at thought of being this size for my birthday. I then managed to read 'Idiot Proof Diet' which was the first time I had became aware of a Low Carb Diet. This diet changed my life as I had lost three stones within the year and have kept this off. With the low carb diet, I became motivated when I lost ten pounds in two weeks. It was the first diet that I have ever seen results and suddenly ten pounds was not enough and I kept wanting to lose more. This made me serious about losing weight. I think it was the thought of another Birthday that motivated me initially however long term it has been a combination of factors eg sick of being laughed at behind my back by *****y colleagues because I had too much fat sticking out, wanting to sit comfortably on a plane, wanting to wear to nice clothes.
  • samfday
    samfday Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine's a bit odd - I was looking through old family photos with my parents a while ago and saw some of my mum when she was younger. She was playing volleyball and looked so fit and healthy. Right now Mum & I weigh almost exactly the same (i.e. we're both a bit "cuddly"!)... but from the pictures I realised that when she was my age she was way smaller & fitter than I am so my brain couldn't help but think what I'd look like if I put on the same amount of weight she did but started from where I am now... the picture didn't look so good - I'd be about one and a half times the size my mum is (or maybe even twice as large if I'm honest).

I decided that I needed to do something about this now - I'd be fine with looking like my mum when I'm 60.. but mum-and-a-half not so much and no matter how hard I need to work it's got to be easier to fix this now than later on when I weigh even more!
  • 192orbust
    Options
    Looked in the mirror last November and truly hated what I saw. Vowed to lose 50 pounds, I have 6 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm very stuborn!!! After almost a year of my doctors (two of them) saying "Do or Die"
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think the moment I became serious was when I stepped on the scale at the Y and it read 305lbs. I had deluded myself into thinking that I was still around 250 and that it wasn't "that big". Having that reality smack me square in the face was my ultimate wake up call. Even if I have a day where I fall off the wagon, I made the promise that I will NEVER go back to the way I was.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't really remember. It's been since about 2010 when I originally had that moment. I managed to lose 34 pounds and get within 5 pounds of my goal weight before I found out I was pregnant in March of 2011. Then, after I had her, I really didn't make an effort to lose until some time over this last summer. Then, in July, I had the inkling I was pregnant again, and viola, here I am. You have to understand, I don't have regular cycles, at all. So with the last 2 pregnancies, I didn't even know until I was almost halfway through with the pregnancy. Now, though, I've been counting my calories consistently for just over a month. And my last OB appointment was on Wednesday. In that 4 week time (the last part of my Second Trimester btw), I hadn't gained a single pound. I also have only really gained a total of 10 pounds since I found out I was pregnant. I'm hoping that by counting my calories and doing the exercise that I am now, I will create a routine that I will stick with after I have this child.
  • DaisyMae84
    Options
    We were at the lake on the 4th of July. There were about 15 to 20 friends there and everyone was in the water playing and swimming except me. My kids kept asking me to come play with them and daddy in the water, but I was too ashamed to put on a bathing suit. I was embarrassed because It kept running through my mind, "I wonder what everyone must think about me".

That's the point I realized I'm missing out on my life, and most importantly, I'm missing out on my kids' lives.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The question everyone kept asking me was "ARE YOU PREGNANT?

I am so conditioned not to ask a woman if she is pregnant for fear that she might NOT be pregnant, I probably offend women who ARE pregnant by pretending not to notice.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    --The doctor telling me I needed a lifestyle change.
    --Many times where I was so "addicted" to eating cookies and drinking lattes just to get enough energy for the day.
    --I was starting to outgrow the largest pant size I had ever had.
    --looking in the mirror and feeling like I was seeing someone else
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When the salesperson in the jeans shop looked me up and down, said ''you could try some on but I doubt we have anything in your size..'' and walked off. I was mortified!
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My motivation is my Mom, may she rest in peace. She was always such a strong woman, who grew up in rural Slovenia, everyone had to work hard all the time. When she was in her teens, one of her many jobs was to go down to the river and beat the clothes on the rocks, with cold, icy water. She worked so hard on the farm, such a strong woman. Then she moved to Canada, over the years she still worked hard every day, but it was definitely an easier life. After my Dad passed, she still stayed in the house, still did the stairs, even though she sometimes had balance issues, and had some minor falls.

One day (she was 80 years old) she slipped getting out of the tub after her bath. She had no core muscles, and her other muscles had degenerated so badly that she couldn't pull herself out, not even up to the end of the tub where the tap was, to get water. She was discovered 20 hours later by a neighbour (thank the Lord!), severely dehydrated and ended up in the hospital for a few days.

At that point I decided that I was not going to be an 80-year old woman who didn't have the core strength to pull herself out of a tub! I want to be strong and fit! It's been a journey ever since.
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I visited my family in April 2012 and mother called me a few days later. She called me and gave me an earful. She told me that my uncles who are in their 70s look better than I do (I am 37), she mentioned that I was puffy everywhere and if I dont take care of myself, no one else will. She also said that if I dont have my health then I wont be there for my 2 kids. She did not want me to continue down a negative path after some serious personal issues.

She helped me put things in perspective and it was a wake-up call. After listening to her, I started walking, then started and finished 1 round of insanity and 2 weeks left in round 2. Thus far I have lost 14 lbs and I have had to put new holes in my belts - A huge NSV for me.

My future goal is to get to normal BMI and I have 10 lbs to go for that. I continue to be in the overweight category. By doing this, hopefully I wont be in the pre-diabetic category any longer.
  • 2004Jessica
    Options
    All my weight is around my midsection, true, I have no fat arms, no big legs and no butt. Everything is around my belly. The question everyone kept asking me was "ARE YOU PREGNANT? or i can be outside and get chewed out for smoking a cigerette because ppl assumed I was pregnant. It finally broke me down and thats when I said this has to stop. Keep it in mind the only thing big on me is my midsection. My legs and arms look like a normal person. I am shaped oddly but yea when everyone assumes your pregnant when your just fat, it hurts.

Hey, Mandy! I am the same way, most of my problem is my belly. It means we have an apple shape body. If someone mainly gains weight in their hips and thighs, they are pear shaped. That's what my doc said. She also said the belly is the most dangerous place to have fat and it's the hardest to get rid of. Belly fat causes diabetes, heart disease, etc. A personal trainer told me the only way to bust belly fat is through cardio- whatever makes you sweat, breathe hard, and gets your heart pumping. Best of luck to you, Mandy. :flowerforyou:
  • cthon98
    cthon98 Posts: 19
    Options
    My motivation was this:
    My girlfriend had been out of the city for a few months, doing her work term in a far off part of the province. I was getting things together to go and visit her, and it just struck me. I should REALLY surprise her.
    So about a month and a half before the visit, I got into Keto on recommendation from a friend, and dropped 15 pounds before seeing her. She was indeed surprised. Now though, it's another 15 pounds (30 total) that I have lost in almost 4 months on Keto, and I'll soon be seeing her again.
  • usfirefly
    usfirefly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    it was great to read all the storys,

So interessting what motivates diffrent people.

I always knew that i wanted to get married and have children. beginning of january when I moved into my own appartment and practically had nobody to watch what i ate or did, i figured that would be the perfect time to start.
    I am really determined.
    even though i don't even have a boyfriend yet. I want to look good in my weddingdress, should I ever get married. I want to be pretty and thin.
    and since i love to have kids at some point in my life I decided that i better get healthy for that now. Besides I have PCOS and loosing weight has been a huge improvement in my symptoms.
    I am so going to do it.
    Also I always said to myself that i will never be more then 90kg and i figured if i get pregnant at 88kgs I would be in trouble... so now I in for the battle and so far i have ups and downs, but this year has been really eyeopening and overall sucessfull so far.
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When my doctor said I had type II diabetes. He said do you realize how obese you are and that your are killing yourself? After I got over being angry, I had to take a serious look at myself.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself. It was not pretty. Not at all.