Paleo diet, crazy or worth it?

Options
I have a close friend who has recently transitioned her family to a completely paleo diet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

For me Im a mom and it sounds SO hard to change my entire families way of eating and cutting out foods that I thought were good for me.You have to cut out beans, and dairy, and gluten among other things.

Basically what are your thoughts on this new way of eating? It seems to be very healthy and beneficial but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought?

Replies

• bethanyclaire88
    Options
    You just have to go with what works for your family. If it works for your friend, that's great, but it may or may not work for you. I personally wouldn't do it because I couldn't give up beans or dairy. Plus I don't eat that much meat, and it is more expensive than some of my other dietary choices. If you're going to cut out dairy, make sure your kids get enough calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D from supplements or other food sources- they are very important for growing children's bones.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think people should do whatever works for them. But I do hope she talked it over with her husband before doing it so he has a say in what he eats.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I think for people with certain allergies and intolerances, the diet is extremely beneficial. If others are able to make sure they get all of their micronutrients on the diet I don't think it is harmful, but I certainly don't think it is necessary for good health.
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    expensive, but worth it if you have the money and the time to cook
  • mhart21
    Options
    I eat mostly paleo, but it's not a short term diet, I'm doing it for life. Paleo works really well for me, but I don't think it would be easy for an entire family.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for your family.

Does a Paleo way of eating work. I think it does. I've heard good results from people. Do I think other "ways" of eating work. Yes I do. Weight Watchers works. Following the MFP plan works.

Do I think any of these plans work for everybody. Nope.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It only works if you wear animal skins and use a flint tipped spear to hunt your meat.....

But seriously, the appeal of being a lean, sleek caveman aside, there are some good ideas to this approach - cutting out processed foods, eating leafy vegetables, etc. I just don't see that much difference between it and Atkins or Protein power.

The bottom line is, if something makes you eat better, it might be worthwhile, but I have found that cutting calories and exercise works just as well - if not better. I feel fruit and grains are part of a healthy diet for me.

My guess is that paleo man would have eaten anything he or she could get their hands on, LOL.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, your instincts are correct. I agree with the fact that in emphasizes whole, minimally processed foods, but I also thinks that it excludes foods that are perfectly healthy.

It's possible to eat healthy without wrapping it up in mythology about what a caveman might have eaten.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It only works if you wear animal skins and use a flint tipped spear to hunt your meat.....

you also must discuss your hunting techniques over a broadband internet connection
  • Sabs_21
    Sabs_21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are currently doing a 30 day challenge. We're two weeks in and I've lost 5.6 pounds and 1.7% body fat. The first week was very difficult, but you eventually find what works for you. I personally don't think that it's a "fad" diet. I see it as an extremely healthy way to eat, but I know that it's going to be difficult to maintain especially by today’s standards and what is readily available. It can be on the expensive side and we’re finding that we do have to spend a good amount of time prepping our food since there’s no processed or pre-made foods. I'm hoping that when we're done with the challenge that we can maintain it at least 85%-90% of the time. I made paleo chocolate chip cookies the other day since we were desperate for sweets and they were surprisingly good.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Welcome to the site.

Be prepared for tons of anti-Paleo comments.

I was Paleo (stricter than most people on this site) for 6 months. Loved it.

But how healthy do you eat already? I went from a McDonalds for breakfast, steak-n-cheese for lunch, pizza/pasta/chinese for dinner diet; so of course I saw results. I could've seen results going on Weight Watchers haha.

I guess my point - if you're going to do it, please do it the right way. Do research on marksdailyapple.com, buy Sarah Fragoso's cookbook, and be prepared to stop eating at restaurants and ordering take out. Otherwise, most families can benefit from simply eating more fresh meats and produce and switching to whole-grain (unless you are gluten intolerant or have a member with Celiac). Get rid of the simple sugar while you're at it.

Hope this helps :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, your instincts are correct. I agree with the fact that in emphasizes whole, minimally processed foods, but I also thinks that it excludes foods that are perfectly healthy.

It's possible to eat healthy without wrapping it up in mythology about what a caveman might have eaten.

Very much agree with this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a close friend who has recently transitioned her family to a completely paleo diet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

For me Im a mom and it sounds SO hard to change my entire families way of eating and cutting out foods that I thought were good for me.You have to cut out beans, and dairy, and gluten among other things.

Basically what are your thoughts on this new way of eating? It seems to be very healthy and beneficial but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought?

I have several friends on it. Most of them can't stick to it. As soon as I found out it eliminates eating peanuts, I knew it wasn't for me. It seems crazy to me that evolved people want to try to eat like prehistoric, unevolved people.

I do have one friend that actually lost 80 pounds doing it. He said he doesn't like peanuts or bread anyway, so it really boils down to what you enjoy eating. If you feel deprived, then you won't stick to it, and if you can't stick to it, then what's the point of making such a change?
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet and it's 1,000% worth it :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Very much agree with this.

+2
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I'm pretty sure it's not a "fad diet".
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It depends on if it is something you want to follow for the rest of your life. It isn't meant to be a short tern weight loss diet, just a way of eating. I eat mostly paleo because I have gluten intolerance, although after 6 months of following it I have added back in a few more foods that aren't paleo (hummus, gluten free oatmeal). I also eat more primal than paleo. It's not as restrictive, you can have dairy, sweet potatoes. I don't even really like to say that I eat paleo/primal, because then you have all these restrictions and rules and worry about what is or isn't paleo, and "paleo people" will debate about what is paleo or not. I like the idea of eating whole foods, not processed stuff from a box. Higher protein, lower carb. And if you have gluten intolerance (which some people do and don't realize it until they stop eating it for awhile and realize how much better they feel) I think following a paleo-ish diet it great. The rest of my family doesn't eat paleo, I think it would be difficult to make children to follow that way of eating. It is a great way to jump start into a life of healthy eating, eating whole foods, getting off empty carbs and sugar. You can always try it, see how you feel, and add back in other foods (beans, dairy) and see how you feel once you add those things back in.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Only benefit i can see for someone with no knowledge of nutrition would be increasing protein and fat consumption, which will help with keeping muscle and giving you a better hormonal profile. But if you understand nutrition its useless.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It seems crazy to me that evolved people want to try to eat like prehistoric, unevolved people.

the whole caveman or prehistoric idea of the paleo way of eating is just the marketing idea of identifying with this style of eating.

It should be thought of as a way of eating that gets away from what we have "evolved" into as far as our food. We have evolved and are focused not on nutrition but on mass production of preservative filled crap laced with fake sweeteners.

the haters of a paleo diet often pull out the caveman analogy but for many paleo type eaters, it is about cleaner nutrition and not emulating the caveman.