Paleo diet, crazy or worth it?

Options

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would stay away from any sort of diet/lifestyle that cuts out a food completely (unless, of course there is some sort of intolerance). The likelihood of never eating dairy or grains again is pretty slim. Why not just clean up your diet (not OP you, just general) and eat in moderation or eat whole grains?

You ask "why not?"

I guess my question for you is, "why?"

Why do people insist that just because we *can* eat certain types of food that it is inevitable that we *should* eat them?

I was just genuinely curious. I'm not paleo, and never will be. It's fine if others are, I wouldn't knock it, but the OP asked about it so that was my answer.

Just because we can use cars, should we? They're dangerous and life threatening, yet not using them isn't really an option for most people. Same sort of situation. Not all change is bad. I'm not disagreeing that processed foods aren't healthy, but why cut out unprocessed foods (beans etc.) by that logic? That's all I'm saying. If paleo works for you, then that's awesome, but cutting out foods completely isn't for everyone.

My CBA for using a car is decidedly B>C. For eating beans *for me personally*, B=C at best and perhaps B<C. (For eating wheat *for me personally*, definitely B<C.)

That makes sense! If it works for you, then keep at it!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How about a challenge? Try it for 30 days and then report any criticisms you may have. :)

Nobody is arguing that Paelo isn't better than eating crap all day like most people do. The point the critics are making is that my diet isn't any less healthy because I ate some corn and had a glass of milk.

^^ This. Exactly.

Really? You knocked Paleo without anything to back it up. I dont recall anyone knocking anyone elses diet. I read people pointing out the attributes of of Paleo.

Saying that it doesn't make sense to me is "knocking it?" If I offended you, then I apologize. Like I said in the beginning, I have some friends of mine (I mean real life friends, not MFP friends) who choose paleo. That's fine with me. All I ask is that people don't make false claims.

You didn't say "it doesn't make sense", you called it a fad. I'm not offended in the least, I'm not a fan of blanket criticism without fact.

Saying something is a fad isn't "knocking it." There are plenty of fads that are harmless and lots of fun. As a teenager, I went in for the fad of wearing neon plastic bracelets. There's nothing wrong with that. I also used to wear two-color Chuck Taylors. That was a very cool fad.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That may be true, but it still makes no sense to me, all that "grains causes cancer" business that they tout.

you have made up your mind ( or actually you keep it closed)

I have never heard the paleo crowd "tout" grains cause cancer.

I have read that some paleo followers believe that grains are not required and can cause more problems than they are worth regarding nuitritional benefit..

I dont think I am intolerant to grains but I cut them out as an experiment for my own curiosity and have found that I feel better, sleep better and maintain my fitness goals better without them. It also gives me more calories for foods I enjoy better than grains.

Its obvious you have never tried it but you sure enjoy bashing it. Thats fine but dont make stuff up to justify your closed mind.

That's interesting that you have missed what I have seen several times a week. I see them less as I have several paleo folks on ignore.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would stay away from any sort of diet/lifestyle that cuts out a food completely (unless, of course there is some sort of intolerance). The likelihood of never eating dairy or grains again is pretty slim. Why not just clean up your diet (not OP you, just general) and eat in moderation or eat whole grains?

You ask "why not?"

I guess my question for you is, "why?"

Why do people insist that just because we *can* eat certain types of food that it is inevitable that we *should* eat them?

I was just genuinely curious. I'm not paleo, and never will be. It's fine if others are, I wouldn't knock it, but the OP asked about it so that was my answer.

Just because we can use cars, should we? They're dangerous and life threatening, yet not using them isn't really an option for most people. Same sort of situation. Not all change is bad. I'm not disagreeing that processed foods aren't healthy, but why cut out unprocessed foods (beans etc.) by that logic? That's all I'm saying. If paleo works for you, then that's awesome, but cutting out foods completely isn't for everyone.

My CBA for using a car is decidedly B>C. For eating beans *for me personally*, B=C at best and perhaps B<C. (For eating wheat *for me personally*, definitely B<C.)

That makes sense! If it works for you, then keep at it!

Indeed.

The tricky part of this is, until I eliminated wheat from my diet, I didn't realize the effect it was having on how I felt. I believe this is why "paleo people" seem so insistent on people *trying* it too...because until you do, you really won't know.

(Yeah, I know, it's an unscientific n=1 and there could be a dozen other explanations for how I felt pre- vs. post-. However, I don't believe, even if you exclude the possible negatives of it, that wheat is a particularly healthy food anyhow, and certainly isn't nutritionally dense enough to warrant being the base of the pyramid. Given this, I'm even more comfortable eliminating it from my diet.)
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love good conversation...however some arguing for the sake of doing it is kinda weird.

The paleo lifestyle is just absolutely brilliant..EAT CLEAN NOT CRAP! How anyone would think that's not a good idea is beyond me. I may have said this before and I will suggest it again. Watch "Forks Over Knives" and you will see the link between food and disease.

I will give up anything if it means my body is better for it...whether it be peanuts or milk..the purpose of cow's milk in humans is what again?? Cow's milk is to make baby cows bigger....Hmmm? Bye bye dairy...

What I love about humans is the ability to make decisions/ free will. There are some that live paleo but add beans now and again to a pot of chili. AWESOME!! Or have a slice of cake at a birthday party. FABULOUS!! You can make it what you want and still stick to the lifestyle...that's what I like :)

Thanks to jofjltncb6 and paleopath4lyf....I appreciate your wonderful commentary on this topic. Ffeel free to add me as a friend.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hard to give up toxic food (imo)?

This is the kind of comment that really makes me roll my eyes. The idea that grains, legumes, and dairy are "toxic" to humans is simply absurd. Eat what you want, but don't make false claims. It is only "toxic" if you have some sort of medical condition.

Did you miss the IMO in the brackets? Those foods ARE toxic for me and that's exactly what I said by saying "imo" (IN MY OPINION).

People like you make me roll my eyes. I wouldn't make a claim like that if my diet hadn't resolved a huge, long list of "medical conditions". Some of the minor health problems are things that most people live with every day and think of as "normal" because we've never been without it (gas and bloating for instance-no, not normal!). Some of the major health problems that were resolved were life-threatening. So, am I passionate about this topic? Damn right I am.

(Instead of being so dead-set against the "idea" that we have been misinformed about what is healthy and not, why don't you just TRY it for two weeks, then at least you can speak from experience.)

A chronic health condition is a very good reason for restricting certain foods from your diet. I would never suggest otherwise. My husband has Crohn's disease, so there are many things he simply can not eat. (some of which I rarely eat since we often eat the same meals) I completely understand that some medical conditions require specific diets to maintain good health.

However, advocating "natural foods from plants and animals" while restricting certain healthy plant and animal based foods is contradictory, barring a medical condition, of course.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    What I love about humans is the ability to make decisions/ free will.

:flowerforyou:
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

That may be true, but it still makes no sense to me, all that "grains causes cancer" business that they tout.

I have read that some paleo followers believe that grains are not required and can cause more problems than they are worth regarding nuitritional benefit..

I dont think I am intolerant to grains but I cut them out as an experiment for my own curiosity and have found that I feel better, sleep better and maintain my fitness goals better without them. It also gives me more calories for foods I enjoy better than grains.

Its obvious you have never tried it but you sure enjoy bashing it. Thats fine but dont make stuff up to justify your closed mind.

That's interesting that you have missed what I have seen several times a week. I see them less as I have several paleo folks on ignore.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would be commenting on this topic at all ? If you don't agree with Paleo then okay..but the OP I think is asking for legitimate pros and cons not continuous insults or arguing for the sake of arguing. Just a question.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I'm pretty sure it's not a "fad diet".
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.

I pretty sure that the term "fad" describes it appropriately. It's the latest thing in dieting and will not stand the test of time. It's much better than some of these silly single-food diets and such, but indeed, it is a fad.

A natural diet based on animals and plants "didn't stand the test of time". Really? You win the award for the most brilliant comment ever. :noway:

You are not exactly describing "paleo" when you say a natural diet based on plants and animals. Don't peanuts come from plants? Does cheese and milk come from animals?

You are completely looking over the point.

Peanuts can not be consumed in their natural state. You can not dig up a peanut and pop it in your mouth and eat it like you can say almonds. You can eat RAW almonds.

Also, many Paleo people eat RAW dairy. This means they consume raw cheese, raw milk, butter made from raw cream, etc. Like milk a cow raw dairy.

That is what Paleo is. Eating for health and nutrition and eating foods that can be eaten in their natural state as well as cooked.

So you can eat meat in its natural state (uncooked)?
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ...Watch "Forks Over Knives" and you will see the link between food and disease....

Yes, yes, yes! It is a *must watch*

Edit:
    I have not found that this is an expensive lifestyle change; in fact, I spend considerably less now than I did before going strict paleo.
    My epilepsy and my fiance's RA were NOT the reasons behind our decision to make lifestyle change. We did our homework, researched like crazy and took the challenge. Don't get me wrong, we are both fully reaping the benefits from it now, but it was not the reason behind wanting to do it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Basically what are your thoughts on this new way of eating? It seems to be very healthy and beneficial but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought?

Its definitely not a new way of eating... its a healthy lifestyle that targets the healthier foods out there while avoiding refined foods, highly starchy foods thus keeping things clean.

Eating healthy food found within a Paleo or Primal intake is definitely a smart route to take...
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It only works if you wear animal skins and use a flint tipped spear to hunt your meat.....

you also must discuss your hunting techniques over a broadband internet connection

Awesome
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a full paleo diet, because I am in love with bagels and cream cheese, among other things.

But I do feel better eating less bread/dairy. My skin's better, energy levels are better.

I spend more time focusing on flavors, rather than textures, if that makes sense? I didn't realize before how too much bread/dairy can really dull my taste buds.

If I eat something bready/cheesy now, it's for exclusively that product. I will not eat gross American cheese, but cut me some smoked gouda and I will savor it like nobody's business.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It only works if you wear animal skins and use a flint tipped spear to hunt your meat.....

But seriously, the appeal of being a lean, sleek caveman aside, there are some good ideas to this approach - cutting out processed foods, eating leafy vegetables, etc. I just don't see that much difference between it and Atkins or Protein power.

The bottom line is, if something makes you eat better, it might be worthwhile, but I have found that cutting calories and exercise works just as well - if not better. I feel fruit and grains are part of a healthy diet for me.

My guess is that paleo man would have eaten anything he or she could get their hands on, LOL.
    I really don't think this paleo diet is authentic in any way. That being said - if it is healthy and works for you - great. I tend to agree with the quote above - they would eat anything they could find. I don't think that is the real intent of this diet.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have a close friend who has recently transitioned her family to a completely paleo diet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

For me Im a mom and it sounds SO hard to change my entire families way of eating and cutting out foods that I thought were good for me.You have to cut out beans, and dairy, and gluten among other things.

Basically what are your thoughts on this new way of eating? It seems to be very healthy and beneficial but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought?

It's way too much meat for my liking. I don't particularly enjoy a lot of meat, eggs, butter so I'd either starve or be sick to my stomach if I followed a Paleo diet.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet checked what this diet is exactly.. but in my opinion I think that there can be pros and cons with any diet (of course) but unless your children are severely obese I don't think it's right to force a diet on them... I think it's wonderful to have mostly healthy foods and to teach them good eating habits but they deserve to have milk, soup, pizza, ice cream, mac and cheese.... it's yummy! and they're kids.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a close friend who has recently transitioned her family to a completely paleo diet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

For me Im a mom and it sounds SO hard to change my entire families way of eating and cutting out foods that I thought were good for me.You have to cut out beans, and dairy, and gluten among other things.

Unless there is a medical need there is no reason to cut healthy foods like whole grains and beans (including some nuts) from your family's diet. I'm sure you can be healthy on this diet, and if you want to use it as a weight loss tool there is no harm in that. But IMO there is something wrong about denying healthy active children foods that are good for them, like a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread or a bean burrito.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would be commenting on this topic at all ? If you don't agree with Paleo then okay..but the OP I think is asking for legitimate pros and cons not continuous insults or arguing for the sake of arguing. Just a question.

Because I am bored at work and the OP "bothered" to ask the question. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm not on a full paleo diet, because I am in love with bagels and cream cheese, among other things.

But I do feel better eating less bread/dairy. My skin's better, energy levels are better.

I spend more time focusing on flavors, rather than textures, if that makes sense? I didn't realize before how too much bread/dairy can really dull my taste buds.

If I eat something bready/cheesy now, it's for exclusively that product. I will not eat gross American cheese, but cut me some smoked gouda and I will savor it like nobody's business.

Yes, this actually makes perfect sense to me. Though, my exception is coconut. I love it toasted. I love the smell, the flavor, but I won't ever eat it raw because of the texture. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Peanuts can not be consumed in their natural state. You can not dig up a peanut and pop it in your mouth and eat it like you can say almonds. You can eat RAW almonds.

Also, many Paleo people eat RAW dairy. This means they consume raw cheese, raw milk, butter made from raw cream, etc. Like milk a cow raw dairy.

That is what Paleo is. Eating for health and nutrition and eating foods that can be eaten in their natural state as well as cooked.

So you can eat meat in its natural state (uncooked)?
    [/quote]

^^^ :laugh:

I am a fan of raw dairy. But I am also a fan of roasted almonds. They taste nasty when they are raw. Honestly, I believe that *most* food tastes better when it's heated/grilled/toasted/roasted, etc. Raw food diets were big in the 90s. The owner of our local herb store is still into it.

And why is it ok to eat a food once it's cooked, but only if that food could potentially be eaten raw? That makes no sense.