I gained 18 pounds overnight

Options

Replies

• scoilcolm
    scoilcolm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Think you weighing scales are playing games with .
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle. Have you been using the shake weight or maybe tae bo?
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you were retaining that much water you would be puffy all over your body. However, if you are noticing lots of water weight and can't seem to shake it, please go to your doctor. A can of soup isn't going to make you gain 10+ lbs of water. However certain medical conditions might........
  • scoilcolm
    scoilcolm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    interesting reply - whats the banana connection?
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to have a towel rack in front of your scales? You might be going "Homer Simpson" on them.

LOL! I rarely watch The Simpsons, but I did get this reference! LOL! Some days I wish I had a towel bar close by!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    This actually DID happen to me once. i could not for the life of me figure out wtf was going on! picked scale up, put it back down.. over and over... changed batteries.. said i would gain, or lose like 20 pounds each time!!!!! Turned out.. the cat had knocked a tiny little thing (about the size of a piece of a toothpick) under it and it got stuck in the little "foot pad" on the scale.. LOL!

Once i dug that out, scale worked fine!

=)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Put down the dumbells next time before you weigh.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    hmmm...were you wearing steel toed boots this morning? Otherwise, I'd say your scale is broke!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

OVERNIGHT? ARE YOU FLIPPING INSANE?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but maybe your scale is messed up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now if we can only get another 100 responses to back me up, we may have a solution. <end sarcasm>
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ok the scale is BROKE.You can gain some water/sodium intake weight,but no way that much over night. My advice,check the batteries,or get a new scale.Make sure you weigh yourself the same time and way every time you weigh to not get any unecessary variations.Best of luck,don't fret abt.the number,IT IS WRONG!
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    interesting reply - whats the banana connection?

callback to previous poster claiming that bananas made her fat. Hilarity ensued.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

what, you've never heard of that? Could also be from heavy lifting, that'll make you gain at least 14lbs overnight.
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    this thread makes my head hurt.

oh wait that was from banging it on the desk.
  • manofpies
    manofpies Posts: 71 Member
    Options

what, you've never heard of that? Could also be from heavy lifting, that'll make you gain at least 14lbs overnight.

Happened to me once.... Then I realised I was still holding the weights... :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Is Fluffy missing? Maybe you ate the cat in your sleep.
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    Maybe your eyes were tired last night and the scale actually said 181 instead of 161...6 and 8 are easily confused through sleepy eyes.....in that case.....you actually lost 2 lbs this morning :wink:
  • shadoewz
    Options
    Do you keep your scale in exactly the same place? Our scale will weigh a bit differently depending on where we sit it down, so i keep it in exactly the same spot and that made it a lot more stable. The scale I had before (I threw it away) would weigh up to 15 pounds difference depending on just "how" you stood on it, or which foot you stepped up onto it with...obviously a broken scale.

On the other hand, if you are convinced your scale is correct.......People in my family have been able to gain massive amounts of water when they ate a little too much salt and drank a ton of water (or whatever other liquids they consume.) I know there are those that think that much is impossible but I assure you, it's not.

If you truly gained 18 lbs overnight, then rest assured it is NOT fat-weight, it's more than likely water-weight.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I once ate 10lbs of pizza for lunch (verified by before/after on a shipping scale). But I could tell I was heaver. Your scale got jacked.

You should contact Food Network immediately. Even Adam Richman from Man vs. Food can only take on -/+ 7lbs of food at a time. You could be the next big star in television gluttony.

That was years ago, way back in my younger days. I got so disgusted with my self I started exercising the next day and dropped like 40 pounds over the next few months walking and jogging. But like I said that was years ago, I since gained all that back plus another 100. I am looking forward to getting back in the 200s.
  • ambate2
    ambate2 Posts: 61
    Options
    Something similar happened to me last week...all of a sudden the scale said I gained 7-8lbs yet my clothes didn't feel any tighter. It turned out that our bathroom floor (wood) was all sorts of messed up due to a leak and it had absorbed a ton of water. Hopefully you don't have a screwed up floor and it's just a screwed up scale.