The moment that made you SERIOUS about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I saw a HORRIBLE set of pictures that had been taken. Shortly after, I realized that I couldn't go horseback riding with the family because I was uncomfortable with the thought of being on a horse at my weight. So I'm working on being able to get back on the horses.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I got stuck in a kiddie train at the mall.
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The first "now or never" moment happened before I had my daughter. I was 160+ lbs on a 5'2" frame and was climbing a ladder at work. My knee gave out and I almost fell from the second level steel.

This time it was because I realize that around 30 I will have to work twice as hard to lose the weight. So I need to start now. :wink:
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I was trying my wedding dress on and sat down in a chair and everything got pushed UP... like busting out of the top! I'm determined to change that before my big date!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I went to a wedding last weekend where many pictures of me were taken by my mother...and I barely recognized myself because I had a confirmed double chin. Every angle, every photo, big ol' double chin. Also, yesterday I stepped on the scale and saw the highest number I have seen since I was 18, and that was like an electric shock. I bawled for awhile, then realized that I needed to see it because reality just hit home in a very big way.
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump for later to read and reply.....
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I went into my doctor's during the summer. It was hot out, and I was wearing one of the last outfits which still fit me. She looked me up and down, bluntly said "You are overweight. You need to lose weight. I'm sending you in for bloodwork to check your cholesterol".

To have this tiny Asian woman give it to me straight was such a shock. Her voice echoed in my head for months, but within a year I'd begun losing weight.

Man maybe I should go back and thank her!
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    I remember it was after I ate 4 slices of pizza.
    I felt disgusting,fat and the worst of all,unhealthy.
    Very unhealthy.
    I couldn't exercise properly.
    I wasn't looking good. I looked gross and I had let myself go from bad to worse and to the worst I've ever been.
    There have been ups and downs and after 8 months I've lost 18 kg. I know it's not great but it's not bad either.
    I used to weigh 106 kg and now I weigh 87. It feels so different and I feel so strong.
    Yes,I binge sometimes.
    But I won't let myself down! I want to live a long,healthy life and I want to look good of cource ;)
  • bessemerchick79
    Options
    I was 198 pounds, and I am only 5 foot tall. I was in size 18 jeans! I hated every picture of myself. I did it so i could be here with my kids for a long time =)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was 20 years old, 383lbs and pre-diabetic! My GP told me that I could reverse the diabetes IF I lost a dramatic amount of weight. After losing only 50lbs, there was no sign of diabetes and 200+lbs better, I am now almost to my goal weight :)
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Three things that motivated me:

1) Taking a stress test and being told I could not finish it because my blood pressure was too elevated.

2) Realizing that me and my wife were like the characters from "King of Queens". She was the hot trim wife (size 2-4 petite) and I was the bumbling overweight husband :)

3) Dreaming that I would one day be able to run a 5K race with my daughter (25) but realizing that I was a long way from that ever happening.
  • meghanp92
    Options
    I went to a theme park with my family and couldn't fit/barely fit on most of the rides. It was completely mortifying, and then when I got home I stepped on the scale for the first time in 6 months and was horrified. I want to be able to do things and have fun and not be thinking about how FAT I am the whole time!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year, a nurse came to my house to take vitals on me and my wife for underwriting additional insurance. I went through a similar procedure years earlier at roughly the same weight and was approved, so I thought nothing of it. Everything this time was going swimmingly until she took my blood pressure. I don't want to provide actual numbers but let's just say that it was the sort of number you'd hear watching a hospital ER drama on TV! She took it 3 times and on both arms with similar numbers. My mom was a nurse when I was young, so this nurse suggested I take it myself (stethoscope and all) to make sure; numbers were consistent! To say I was scared $h!tless is an understatement.
    At this time, I was already researching primary care doctors because I wanted to stop being the guy who only went when he was sick and even then only going to clinics, etc. I never had a regular doctor, even as a child, so I was dragging my feet picking a doctor. I chose one from my list that morning and went 2 days later despite nurse gently suggesting that I go to the emergency room that very morning. At the doctor's office, they took my BP and it was easily 40-60 points lower than the readings 2 days prior! Even though it was likely the insurance nurse's BP device was miscalibrated, my BP was still elevated enough to warrant concern so we're keeping an eye on it.
    That was the donkey kick that I needed! I lost 20lbs in ~10 week span even though I didn't hear about MFP until many months later. The most recent 10lbs are attributable to MFP; I'm hooked!
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I ordered a fitness program that I saw on an infomercial. I figured I probably wouldn't actually do it, since I have about 30 different videos, a bosu, a billion resistance bands, hand weights, and an expensive elliptical machine that all sit shamefully in the corner, but I thought I'd give it a try. The program encourages you to take a "before", "10-day", "30-day", "60-day" and "90-day" ("after") photo. I figured that I'd take the first picture just in case I actually completed the program. Again, I didn't have any great expectations for myself. However, after I took the picture and looked back at it on the camera, I was wondering who that fat girl was and why she was wearing my clothes. It was shameful. It wasn't just a little extra weight like I kept telling myself - it was FAT, and a lot of it. I couldn't believe what I had done to myself. So, in short, my big moment was when my own "before" photos made me cry.

I'm 17 days into the 90 day program and I haven't missed one work-out. The last time I checked, I had lost 9 pounds and 4.5 inches. I have had one "cheat" meal and I let myself have one little square of Dove Chocolate once a day (every day). So far so good. I keep the photo on my ipod and when I'm thinking about being "bad", I take a look. Talk about motivation........I don't want to be that person anymore.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor in March and found out how much I weighed. It was the heaviest I'd ever been and I was disgusted and angry. That was when I decided something needed to change. I started logging my food intake on MFP and working out. I started working with a trainer and picked up running as well. Ran my first 5K in September and plan on running another in December. I'm on my way! I love reading these forums/group discussions on MFP...really motivating! Keep it up everyone :)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I was 20 years old, 383lbs and pre-diabetic! My GP told me that I could reverse the diabetes IF I lost a dramatic amount of weight. After losing only 50lbs, there was no sign of diabetes and 200+lbs better, I am now almost to my goal weight :)

This is AMAZING!! You have so much to be proud of. Very motivational.
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You know, I had THAT moment this time. I got winded chasing my 2nd grader to his bedroom (in the house), and couldn't catch my breath to read him his bedtime story. I don't ever want to feel that way again. I am committed in a way that I never have been before. I had a "do this for a little while" attitude, not a change your life attitude.

I've had lots of other moments that could have been THE moment: I've seen the photos (ack!) I've had people congratulate me on my pregnancy (I'm not). I've had family members nudge me (to no avail). I've had complete strangers say rude things to me (that have stuck in my brain, but weren't motivating). I've gone to restaurants where I don't fit in the chairs (embarrassing, but not sufficient to motivate me).

I already feel better. I don't feel foggy. I don't get winded going from the living room to my son's bedroom. And I haven't lost that much, but I have changed the fuel I'm putting in my body. I can't wait to run after my son next summer...and maybe even beat him!
  • heypurdy
    Options
    Amazing story! You are an inspiration to everyone trying to get healthy.
  • heypurdy
    Options

Amazing story! You are an inspiration to everyone trying to get healthy.

Ahhh still learning this group posting thing :)
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    when I went to get my drivers license with my mom I lied about my weight on it haha and I think at the time I weighed like 155-160 or something (I never weighed myself) and I put 135 because I wasn't sure what my weight really was at the time. and my mom looked at me laughed and said "yeah right". It made me feel really bad that I must have looked HUGE. I'm now 130 so I'm lighter than my drivers license says. :laugh: