Paleo diet, crazy or worth it?

Options

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It is horrible for your health. You will likely lose weight, but you will have a plethora of health problems if you choose this long term. I know there are people who swear by it, but there are plenty of long term studies that find it is not a good long term solution.
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is horrible for your health. You will likely lose weight, but you will have a plethora of health problems if you choose this long term. I know there are people who swear by it, but there are plenty of long term studies that find it is not a good long term solution.

Why?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's basically the "new" adkins diet. Good luck with that
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It only works if you wear animal skins and use a flint tipped spear to hunt your meat.....

you also must discuss your hunting techniques over a broadband internet connection

BAHAAHHAAHAHH (I heart intelligent response on MFP!)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot on this subject and the conclusion I have come to is that the paleo diet is unsustainable and a fad diet. That's just my opinion, what can I say. There is plenty on the internet for you to google about it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    That makes sense.
    I read this post a while ago... her take is you can be vegetarian and Primal. But it's harder to be vegetarian and Paleo (no dairy) and very hard to be Vegan and Paleo. You'd end up eating a lot of your protein from nuts, which would make it very high cal and lots of phytates. It's interesting to read the comments on her post from people who are vegetarian/Paleo or vegan/Paleo. It can be done, but it seems with some tradeoffs.

http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/06-28/can-a-vegetarian-or-vegan-be-paleo/

Dairy is allowed on Paleo if your body is tolerant and RAW dairy is recommended.

Why does everyone keep saying that there is no dairy on Paleo? I enjoy some raw cheese, raw butter and cream on a fairly regular basis.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Look at a list of the foods you wont be allowed to eat. beans, etc. now ask yourself if you can handle that long term.

If you can, go for it.

i read this list of no-go foods and laughed. my main proteins in about half my meals are on the ban list. beans, nuts, cheese-im a vegetarian and that would leave me eating very little.

I would never last either! I'm also a vegetarian (20+ years) and there's no way I could give up beans, nuts or cheese!!!! I'd starve!!:laugh:

I agree. While there are some Paleo vegetarians, it is VERY DIFFICULT. I would not recommend Paleo for someone who want to remain a vegetarian.

Sometimes I border on a Paleo Vegetarian with my eating. I don't find it difficult at all.

However, I could not a vegan Paleo - that would be very hard to do and I do like meat. I just like vegetables and fruits more.

I eat a lot of fat from coconut on those days and my protein comes from Hemp hearts and then eat loads of vegetables, nuts and some fruit. Home made yogurt is also a good protein source.
    Wait, didn't you say you eat raw meat??? Hardly what I'd call vegetarian...

I never said I was a vegetarian. I stated that I SOMETIMES border on vegetarian. Which means I do enjoy some vegetarian days.

I eat plenty of protein, fat and vegetables. Read what I wrote.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Look at a list of the foods you wont be allowed to eat. beans, etc. now ask yourself if you can handle that long term.

If you can, go for it.

i read this list of no-go foods and laughed. my main proteins in about half my meals are on the ban list. beans, nuts, cheese-im a vegetarian and that would leave me eating very little.

I would never last either! I'm also a vegetarian (20+ years) and there's no way I could give up beans, nuts or cheese!!!! I'd starve!!:laugh:

I agree. While there are some Paleo vegetarians, it is VERY DIFFICULT. I would not recommend Paleo for someone who want to remain a vegetarian.

Sometimes I border on a Paleo Vegetarian with my eating. I don't find it difficult at all.

However, I could not a vegan Paleo - that would be very hard to do and I do like meat. I just like vegetables and fruits more.

I eat a lot of fat from coconut on those days and my protein comes from Hemp hearts and then eat loads of vegetables, nuts and some fruit. Home made yogurt is also a good protein source.
    Wait, didn't you say you eat raw meat??? Hardly what I'd call vegetarian...

I never said I was a vegetarian. I stated that I SOMETIMES border on vegetarian. Which means I do enjoy some vegetarian days.

I eat plenty of protein, fat and vegetables. Read what I wrote.
    I know what you said. And I am saying that eating the occasional meatless meal is not vegetarianism. For many people, it is much an ethic as it is a diet. Please respect that.
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the outlook of yourself and your family. I do think it's benefits are overstated because it's the latest fad and mostly based on empirical evidence, so make sure you do a lot of research from a variety of sources (not just pro- or anti- paleo sites) before you decide.

Personally, I have a major problem with rules and restrictions. Because of this, I know that I would never be happy trying to stick to a diet that excluded certain items or have a lot of restrictions. I use the "if it fits my macros" approach, so I allow myself to enjoy any/all foods in moderation. I do try to eat healthy, but it's easier to stick to my plan when I allow myself to occasionally enjoy less healthy foods as long as they fit my calorie and protein/carb/fat goals.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think this diet is horribly misnamed. I'm pretty sure paleo/primal man did not keep domestic cows and chickens, so if you were actually following a paelo/primal diet, you wouldn't ingest dairy and probably not eggs, either (though it's possible they stole eggs from wild birds. I don't know.).

And fruit would be more plentiful than vegetables.

Follow whatever diet you like, but the name is extremely misleading.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Are there? Not trying to be snarky, it's just that I've never seen any long term studies on the Paleo diet. And most of the nutrition sites I frequent caution that there isn't enough evidence to show long term outcomes due to the lack of studies. Do you have links to any of the studies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

[/quote]

total bullshirt
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

total bullshirt
    [/quote]

Are you talking about the fact that there are no long term studies showing grains, dairy and legumes are bad?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

total bullshirt

Are you talking about the fact that there are no long term studies showing grains, dairy and legumes are bad?
    [/quote]

she didnt say that grains, dairy and legumes are bad. Nor did I.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

total bullshirt

she didnt say that grains, dairy and legumes are bad. Nor did I.
    [/quote]

I understand that, you called BS on her claim but could easily do the exact same for the entire paleo diet using the same criteria
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hang on, before any more arguing, May I suggest you both step shirtless into this pit of mud...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Are there? Not trying to be snarky, it's just that I've never seen any long term studies on the Paleo diet. And most of the nutrition sites I frequent caution that there isn't enough evidence to show long term outcomes due to the lack of studies. Do you have links to any of the studies.

There is no such thing as a long-term study on the paleo diet. It hasn't been around long enough yet! :laugh:

There *are* studies though that show increasing protein in the diet is the best route for long-term weight loss, and that the amount of carbs and fats are irrelevant, so long as protein is high and you're in a caloric deficit.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

There *are* studies though that show increasing protein in the diet is the best route for long-term weight loss, and that the amount of carbs and fats are irrelevant, so long as protein is high and you're in a caloric deficit.

I have never heard fats are irrelevant. not saying you havnt heard it somewhere, but I have never heard that. And...fats are relevant.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I have never heard fats are irrelevant. not saying you havnt heard it somewhere, but I have never heard that. And...fats are relevant.

I think it was the 2003 Harvard study. I would have to look it up again. I could be remembering wrong. It was basically saying that the groups that did high protein did the best at losing/maintaining. Some had more carbs and some had more fat. But the conclusion was that it is best to do *at least* 25% protein. While fats/carbs can play a larger role with body recomp when near maintenance levels, they are irrelevant in terms of fat oxidation when in a caloric deficit.

Edit: Actually, I think it was moderate protein, but the point was where protein should be between 25-30%
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I tried it. I didn't lose weight. I felt awful and kept getting sick. I slept 12 hours a day and felt tired constantly. I had really wanted to believe. I read Mark's Daily Apple religiously.

I cut back on animal products, added back in grains and felt amazing. Stopped getting sick. Skin infection disappeared. Lost weight. Sleep 7 hours now.

I have no problems digesting dairy, grains, or legumes. I never ever have bloating or gas when eating them. I have serious problems digesting meat, especially red meat.

I am not built for the paleo diet. And the "science" behind the forbidden foods is very dodgy, imo. Is there harm in giving up these foods? No, I don't believe so. Is there harm in eating them? Undoubtedly not.