Over 200 Club New Year New Body-Part 7

Options

Replies

• lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a business programming class and leanring visual basic..I made a calculator that determines your goal weight using body fat percentage rather than BMI or any other method. Its pretty neat, but It crashes if you put letters into the input boxes. If anyone wants to give it a try, let me know, or I can crunch some numbers for you with it without sending it.

You put in:

Current Weight: 242.6
    Current Body fat percentage: 43.5
    Goal Body fat percentage: 20

And it spits out:

Lean weight: 137.1
    Goal Weight 171.3

Programming is fun!

I am programmer..of course i don't get to program in fun pretty stuff...::grumble: But it is still fun :) People think i am crazy like my family but oh well

Badtz - Welcome here !! And congrats on your baby .
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a business programming class and leanring visual basic..I made a calculator that determines your goal weight using body fat percentage rather than BMI or any other method. Its pretty neat, but It crashes if you put letters into the input boxes. If anyone wants to give it a try, let me know, or I can crunch some numbers for you with it without sending it.

You put in:

Current Weight: 242.6
    Current Body fat percentage: 43.5
    Goal Body fat percentage: 20

And it spits out:

Lean weight: 137.1
    Goal Weight 171.3

Programming is fun!

I am programmer..of course i don't get to program in fun pretty stuff...::grumble: But it is still fun :) People think i am crazy like my family but oh well

I agree - programming is fun! I was a programmer too, now I'm a DBA - but love it when I still get to do some fun programming. Yeah nerdy programmers! :flowerforyou: (well, I'm sure we girls aren't too nerdy ... I work with a group of extremely nerdy programmer guys ... OMG sometimes I don't know how I stand it :ohwell: )
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    (well, I'm sure we girls aren't too nerdy ... I work with a group of extremely nerdy programmer guys ... OMG sometimes I don't know how I stand it :ohwell: )

LOL, Istpaul. I actually LIVE with a nerdy programmer guy. :laugh:
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Welcome badtz!! Everyday we check in with our calories, water (if we drank 64oz), excercise (if we did any) and say one thing we are proud of. You'll catch on quickly!

To all: I was looking at the 'goals' that MFP has for me and they have carb-protein-fat at 55-15-30. I was thinking about tweeking those a little to reduce my carbs and fat and increase protein...what are your thoughts on this and what you think the pros/cons are

I am doing research now so if I change it I will let you know what I change it to and why

I am a little scared to do anything to change it since so far the plan is working for me...maybe I'll change it when I hit a plateau?

~Cris
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    To all: I was looking at the 'goals' that MFP has for me and they have carb-protein-fat at 55-15-30. I was thinking about tweeking those a little to reduce my carbs and fat and increase protein...what are your thoughts on this and what you think the pros/cons are

I am doing research now so if I change it I will let you know what I change it to and why

I am a little scared to do anything to change it since so far the plan is working for me...maybe I'll change it when I hit a plateau?

I hit my plateau the same time I hit the continuous runs wtih C25K. At that point, I changed mine to 50/25/25. It seemed to help me get over (or under?) my plateau and I think it definitely helped me feel better during my runs. I'm thinking of changing it again (45 carbs/30 protein/25 fat) because I think that may be what I'm eating anyway as of the last week or so. I'm usually over in protein. I just feel better eating more (I have hypoglycemic tendencies & protein helps a lot).

Edit: Yep, just went to change mine to 45/30/25 & my diet's nutrition is fitting pretty well into those percentages for the last few days so I think I'll stick there for now.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Tiger - Congrats on the marriage! :heart: Yes, I remember the days of struggle between my MIL and me for the reigns. (my mother was long gone in heaven by the time I married) Take a deep breath and do it your way! Your mom will understand, eventually...maybe years after the wedding, but eventually. :tongue:
    cris - My philosophy is, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." But if you feel the need to mix things up, research, research, research.
    pos_me - Way to go on those peanuts!
    jlb - I LOVE the accordion! Been in my Polish family for years. I don't play it so well, but my brother cranks out some pretty gnarly tunes on it.
    heather - I had an awakening, too, about what I value. Mostly that I do not think about it enough - just like you said. I think that's why I posed the question. It's always good to stop and check for the important things on our journey. I value most my family and my health - the fact that every single day I feel better and am getting to a better place health-wise. :heart:
    badtz - welcome! You'll love the group. :flowerforyou: We are a very loyal and accountable group of people who never give up on ourselves or each other. And if we ever feel like giving up on ourselves, we make sure to tell the group so that we can all build up the person who is wavering. A really nice place to be, here at the 200 OK Corral. :happy:
  • Solandra
    Options
    Welcome, badtz!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Cris-I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it. Usually when you hit a plateau is a great time to change something like that up. That's what I do. I change my workout and my diet whenever I hit one. I have been bouncing back and forth in the low 230's for months and finally think I broke through the plateau when I changed up my diet.

I must say I am a little nervous. My roommate and I are going out to dinner tonight to treat ourself to some Mexican food (Can you tell we live in Texas!?) and the restaurant doesn't have a nutritional menu. I think I will be okay. Her and I usually share one entree. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I resisted temptation of craving chocolate so bad today at lunch. Pretty proud of myself!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I must say I am a little nervous. My roommate and I are going out to dinner tonight to treat ourself to some Mexican food (Can you tell we live in Texas!?) and the restaurant doesn't have a nutritional menu. I think I will be okay. Her and I usually share one entree. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I resisted temptation of craving chocolate so bad today at lunch. Pretty proud of myself!

Good luck!
    When I go for Mexican I just consider it a big ol' cheat. I'm just not going unless I can eat cheese enchiladas, lol. Even if it's low calorie, it's LOAAAADDDDDEEEED with sodium so don't freak out if you're retaining a little (or a lot of) water tomorrow. :wink:
    Fajitas are usually a pretty sensible choice. :smile: I'm actually planning ot make fajitas tomorrow night (notice it's AFTER the weigh in :laugh:). Though tonight I won't be much better sodium-wise with the marinara sauce & polenta I'm planning to eat. :ohwell:
  • lstpaul
    Options
    (well, I'm sure we girls aren't too nerdy ... I work with a group of extremely nerdy programmer guys ... OMG sometimes I don't know how I stand it :ohwell: )

I'm guessing your nerdy programmer guy can't POSSIBLY be as nerdy as the ones I work with - my boss is the nerdiest of them all ... I'm talking just plain socially challenged (clipped his fingernails in my office once and left the clippings on the floor, constantly cleans his ears with his pen while he is talking to you, on and on and on) :huh:
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I'm guessing your nerdy programmer guy can't POSSIBLY be as nerdy as the ones I work with - my boss is the nerdiest of them all ... I'm talking just plain socially challenged (clipped his fingernails in my office once and left the clippings on the floor, constantly cleans his ears with his pen while he is talking to you, on and on and on) :huh:

Theres a difference between nerd and hygiene-impared, thankyou! *pushes her glasses up* I love nerds.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    lstpaul - that doesn't sound nerdy - that sounds plain gross! :laugh:

Yeah, mexican. Hmm. I always gain after a good mexican fiesta. Fajitas or a salad would be your best bets, I guess. And WOAH - the margaritas are FULL OF CALORIES! Ay cariba!
  • lstpaul
    Options

Theres a difference between nerd and hygiene-impared, thankyou! *pushes her glasses up* I love nerds.

Ok, I agree ... we are part of the 'proud to be' nerdy group. My boss (and some of my other co-workers) are socially inept, hygiene-impared men who also happen to be nerds - and they give nerds a bad rep. :wink:
  • LittleSpy
    Options

Ok, I agree ... we are part of the 'proud to be' nerdy group. My boss (and some of my other co-workers) are socially inept, hygiene-impared men who also happen to be nerds - and they give nerds a bad rep. :wink:

You're right -- he's more of the "proud to be nerdy" type, too. I know the nerds you're talking about -- completley socially challenged. Now, I'll admit I can be socially awkward at times (I used to be painfully shy but now now it's the opposite problem -- my sensors don't always keep me from saying things I shouldn't say in social situations :laugh:). It pains me to be around people like that. Poor them.
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Thanks on everyone's input, I think I will hold off and change up when I hit a plateau (notice I keep saying when...I feel one coming):huh:

Istpaul- uhm ewww! thats not nerdy, def gross!

Jess- mmmm on the mexican! I am going to panera's tonight with an old friend I havent seen since middle school! We got reconnected on fb...Im hoping to to keep the damage to a minimum and have already planned out my meal, now its a matter of sticking to it! Good luck to us both!

I wish I was going after the weigh in! dang it! :tongue: :laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies! I am super nervous about having Mexican the night before the weigh in. It's her only night off from school and so it's like our "roommate date night". Maybe if I drink a ton of water today it will all flush out by tomorrow morning! I think I might go with fajitas! Good luck to both of us Cris! I know we can still lose weight on our weigh in tomorrow. No margirats for me that's for sure!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Jess: I'd recommend sticking with the fajitas and don't go too crazy with the sour cream. Even the trainers on Biggest Loser suggest fajitas. I'm a Mexican food junkie (especially lately) so I always get fajitas but I can't say no to the chips and salsa! I usually stick to water for the beverage, though.

Cris: Way to plan your Panera trip ahead of time. I'm sure you'll be just fine and you'll see a drop on the scale tomorrow. Have fun with your long-lost friend! Gotta love FB!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Jess - go for the fajitas with no tortillas! If they have a full bar get Tequila on the rocks with a dash of Rose's lime juice and a big glass of water!:drinker:

Tiger- Congrats on the wedding:happy: :indifferent: :happy: . I"m a little cynical :ohwell: about marriage... but it's *coughCRAZYcough* sweet to see people so full of hope! I do love my husband and I would be with him either way... but just know they don't tend to improve with marriage:grumble: ;-)

NERDS!!! I used to teach Visual Basic :) Waaaaaaay back in the 90s! I am now an IT Auditor so I look at general security issues and controls. I married a math/physics nerd - I :heart: love :heart: big brains!:love::love:
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Welcome badtz!! Everyday we check in with our calories, water (if we drank 64oz), excercise (if we did any) and say one thing we are proud of. You'll catch on quickly!

~Cris
    In my opinion carbs and fat should be lower.According to my biggest loser cookbook the ration should be 40% protein 30% carbs and 30% fat.I hope this helps!! This is what I have been doing and I am losing major inches because of this and of course exercising.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

~Cris
    In my opinion carbs and fat should be lower.According to my biggest loser cookbook the ration should be 40% protein 30% carbs and 30% fat.I hope this helps!! This is what I have been doing and I am losing major inches because of this and of course exercising.

How would I go about changing this in my profile?