Halloween~ My children are not happy!

Options
Every year, I go out and buy 5-6 mega bags of mini candy bars for Halloween. Even tho we generally only have maybe a couple of dozen trick or treaters...

We generally have tons of the stuff left and I can eat Snickers and Peanut Butter Cups all day! :)
To solve my problem of having all that candy left over after the season, I purchased Rice Crispy Treats!
My reasoning, first of all, I wont sit and eat them one after another if there are any left...
AND even if I do have one or two after the season, they are much less of an evil than a Snickers! o_O

My kids are not happy! lol

What do you do to avoid the left over candy?
Do you not buy the candy and do something different?
Just looking for some other ideas for next year maybe...

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I remember getting wax lips and teeth from one neighbor many years ago. If I gave out treats, I'd probably try to find something unusual like that kind of toy.

My sibling and I had a lot of fun with those fake lips and vampire teeth!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'll be handing out raisins and protein shakes and ezekiel bread with sweet potato spread.

Then, I'll move to another state because my house would get burned down.

Honestly, I'll be handing out candy bars and when it nears the end of the night some lucky kid will be getting a buttload of candy. This solves the leftover candy issue and it makes one kid really freakin' happy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'll be handing out candy bars and when it nears the end of the night some lucky kid will be getting a buttload of candy. This solves the leftover candy issue and it makes one kid really freakin' happy.

Agreed.

Though Rice Krisy Treats aren't terrible thing to hand out. I can't eat them, anyway, being veg and all.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    There is a family by me that gets together in their garage and they make fresh funnel cakes to hand out! Adults, nieces, nephews and inlaws. The only leftovers are what they decided to fry up!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You're a mean one, Mrs. Grinch
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I throw a bag of Snickers, Heath and Kit Kats in the freezer for later consumption. The rest of the candy, I bring to work and its usually gone within the first hour.

For about a month, I end up with Heath cookies, Snickers chopped in my frozen yogurt, Kit Kats used as dipping sticks in my plain Greek yogurt. If I make too many cookies, those go to work too. =)
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I live out in the country so no trick-or-treaters means no candy to buy. But I do take my kids in town to trick-or-treat and will try to resist the urge to dive into any kit kats or nut-filled candybars.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I send leftover candy with my husband in to his work, he works with a bunch of teenagers so it's gone in a night.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    We don't have kids coming around in our neighborhood, but when we did, I just bought the kind of candy I didn't like. Or things like jawbreakers, bubble gum. I sure didn't over-buy for leftovers. I'd rather run out and then just give kids spare change if I get a few extra.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    whoever is the last stragler of the night gets the whole lot of it! lol. OR i go over and give it to my neighbours kids. i only alllow mine to fill up their pumpkin buckets once. theyre only 5 &3, they dont need alll that junk! we just visit family and show off their lil costumes still mostly :D
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    any leftover candy goes to work for my office candy jar. I'm not much of a sweets person (my mother thinks I was adopted - lol) the candy jar on my desk isn't much of a temptation for me. And there are LOTS of sugar fiends in my office.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I remember getting wax lips and teeth from one neighbor many years ago. If I gave out treats, I'd probably try to find something unusual like that kind of toy.

My sibling and I had a lot of fun with those fake lips and vampire teeth!

I do this too!! Vampire teeth, lips etc for the boys and halloween style hair bands etc for the girls. I get them from my local supermarket in bulk and they work out cheaper than all of the sweets i normally purchase.
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    We donate all of our leftover candy, and about 85% of my kids' haul, to care packages for the troops. Before that idea came up, I used to toss out a handful from each bowl each day while they were at school. ;-)
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fishy crackers
    playdough
    gum
    pencils
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    We get candy that my husband likes more than me. I don't want to eat it, my husband gets quick bites of energy to take to work (yes he needs to work on his eating habits, but that's for a different post).
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My mother in law buys halloween pretzels (aince my daughter loves them) or fruit snacks and then 2 or 3 bags of candy. Nerds, tootsie pops, chocolate bars etc. Each kid gets quite a bit here but at the en d of the night whoever is last at our door about 8ish gets the whole bowl of what is leftover. =) I don't mind keeping the pretzels since my daughter and I love them and it's not a big temptation for me like chocolate is. Although, rice krispie treats sound yummy. My daughter would probably want that over a snickers anyway (I don't know where she came from)

A house around the neighborhood gives out little play dohs or markers etc. Those are cool too.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. Kids still like Rice Krispy Treats, and it'll be nice since people don't hand them out very often.

I eat all of the leftover candy. ALL OF IT. Yum. =) I'm just going to eat a couple a day and not binge on it this year.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I hand out the good stuff but I don't open the bag till Halloween. The day after I bring it all to work and dump it in the community candy dish.
  • ashleyngill
    Options
    If you have any left over (or if your kids have too much and you can talk them into it), look for a candy donation site. These are starting to get popular. For example, last year there was a dentist's office that collected candy. They paid the kids something like $1 for each pound of candy they brought. All donations were shipped to deployed Military units.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Though Rice Krisy Treats aren't terrible thing to hand out. I can't eat them, anyway, being veg and all.

Why wouldn't an ovo-lacto vegetarian eat rice krispy treats?