Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    As a rule, when I want to lose weight, I eat clean during the week and let loose during the weekend (since I'm a strong believer that if you hold out for too long, you binge); but at 34, I must come to the realization that it doesn't work that way anymore:sad: !

Hi Julie. I came to a realization recently that I can have NO sweets whatsoever, because once I taste it, that's the end for me, and about 2 bags of cookies. I just came off of a 2 month sweets binge in which I gained back 22 pounds of the 47 I had lost. I realized just how big of a problem I had, and that I was killing myself, and I quit cold turkey 11 days ago. I've already dropped 10 of the pounds I had put back on.

I haven't completely cut out hidden sugars or carbs (though I do eat pretty much all whole grain) or anything along those lines, but no sweets. It's been hell, but honestly, it's so much easier than having a little and trying to stop. :)

My nightly treat is a bowl of low sugar, whole grain almond cereal with a banana, and I can't believe how ridiculously sweet that tastes to me now. It hits the spot though, and I know I have some sweetness to look forward to at the end of the night.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I just came across this thread and thought I could learn a few things from you.

I had some bloodwork done yesterday to well, try to determine why I'm having such a hard time losing weight.

The thyroid test came back normal.
    The glucose came back "within normal range" - but possibly glucose "intolerant"... when you have diabetes, your glucose levels will be above 7 and normal range is under 6... my fasting range was 6.2, so above normal. She did one other test (A1C) which determines my glucose levels over the last 3 months and it was 57%, anything above 60% is not normal. So I'm in the higher range, but not considered diabetic.

So, my doctor has no answers for me, I see an endo next week and we will see what he can do for me - but right now all she can recommend is I stay away from refined sugars because she just sees it as being glucose intolerant. Funny thing is I rarely eat refined sugars.

Maybe the endo can fine tune it for me, but then next step is looking at my nutrition.
    So that is my next question - since I don't normally eat sweets (I'm a salt & meat/cheese craver) - should I consider giving up fruits and just eat vegs? Mediterranean diet? I'm really pretty lost!
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey, Brenda Lee
    Good job on quitting sugar cold turkey!! Wow, 10 days! :flowerforyou:
    I have shivers just thinking of quitting sugar... For me, it's from an extreme to the other: whole grain everything, but chocolate, cookies and cake addict!
    It's like I have split personality... I'm mad when I see that I didn't lose an inch with all the hard work I put in, but when it's time to go all out with cake, pop, chocolate etc... I suddenly "accept myself as I am"!! Baby steps, baby steps... Reading this thread should help :wink:

Mojogurl: Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you... but I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. Nutrition and human metabolism are so complex! It seems like one advice contradicts another all the time... Keep us posted with your progress :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    Options

I had some bloodwork done yesterday to well, try to determine why I'm having such a hard time losing weight.

The glucose came back "within normal range" - but possibly glucose "intolerant"... when you have diabetes, your glucose levels will be above 7 and normal range is under 6... my fasting range was 6.2, so above normal. She did one other test (A1C) which determines my glucose levels over the last 3 months and it was 57%, anything above 60% is not normal. So I'm in the higher range, but not considered diabetic.

So, my doctor has no answers for me, I see an endo next week and we will see what he can do for me - but right now all she can recommend is I stay away from refined sugars because she just sees it as being glucose intolerant. Funny thing is I rarely eat refined sugars.

Maybe the endo can fine tune it for me, but then next step is looking at my nutrition.
    So that is my next question - since I don't normally eat sweets (I'm a salt & meat/cheese craver) - should I consider giving up fruits and just eat vegs? Mediterranean diet? I'm really pretty lost!

Hi Mojo. What's your carb situation- refined or whole grain? Simple carbs like white bread, white pasta, white rice act the same as sugar in the body.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Wait a minute-- your doctor has no recommendations other than to avoid refined sugar? Your doctor doesn't know that ALL CARBS affect diabetics-- potatoes, corn, apples, bananas-- hell, even milk has carbs.

I have a diabetic daughter-- type 1-- and just from what I've learned from taking care of her the past 7 years, watch your fruits, fruit juices, pastas, rice, breads-- all these turn into sugar in your body and will raise your blood glucose.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like your signature "snap out of it" :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Brenda, Marla -

I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next week for further testing, then if he cannot find anything through his tests, we will see the nutritionist again.
    but normally - no refined grains get consumed. For the most part (other than the rare sushi night) it's always brown/wild rice - whole wheat couscous, barley - and when we do have pasta, I buy the flax seed pasta or spelt.
    I rarely drink juice, but lately I've been craving Orange Juice and been drinking it right out of the carton. I do not drink milk, but put a dollop of steamed "froth" in my espresso.
    I'm sad about potatoes - I just recently discovered baked potatoes as a meal. boo:brokenheart:
    I don't drink soda either - once a month, a coke zero, if even?

Admittedly, my downfall is wine. Maybe I should take up hot baths instead :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Brenda, Marla -

Admittedly, my downfall is wine. Maybe I should take up hot baths instead :laugh:

Look - from :
    http://www.weightandwellness.com/id40.html
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The sweet side of alcoholism

If you have traded an alcohol addiction (sugar) for a sweet roll addiction (sugar), you have gained little more than a lessened risk for a DWI. Biochemically sugar and alcohol are the same thing. When you take in large amounts of sugar it sends your blood sugar high and releases a feel good neurotransmitter called serotonin. The alcohol and the sweet roll both send your blood sugar high but the alcohol is able to spike your blood sugar twice as quickly. So if you have stopped taking in alcohol and replaced it with high sugar eating you are setting your self up for a relapse.

If you are ready to put an end to this cycle you need to be eating balanced meals every two hours and taking some amino acids to help rebuild and heal your brain chemistry. Balanced meals should consist of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. For healthy protein, eat chicken, fish beef, cheese, and steak; for fat- butter, olive oil, raw nuts, cream cheese; for carbs-fruits and lots of veggies.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(You didn't see me here) hiding_behind_a_couch.gif
  • Marla64
    Options
    who was that masked man?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ninja.gif
  • tamarads
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm happy to see her...:wink:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    ninja.gif

a verified sighting of the rare and elusive (and super smart and cool) sugar-free lady ninja!

So, I've fallen off the wagon a bit as I've resorted to popscicles to soothe my incredibly sore throat. I promise to get right back on the bandwagon when this illness clears up. For now, my throat needs the numbing and my non-existent appetite needs the calories. I may be :wink: MIA in the meantime, or lurking. I'm considering lady ninja training from the master.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Brenda, Marla -

Look - from :
    http://www.weightandwellness.com/id40.html
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The sweet side of alcoholism

If you have traded an alcohol addiction (sugar) for a sweet roll addiction (sugar), you have gained little more than a lessened risk for a DWI. Biochemically sugar and alcohol are the same thing. When you take in large amounts of sugar it sends your blood sugar high and releases a feel good neurotransmitter called serotonin. The alcohol and the sweet roll both send your blood sugar high but the alcohol is able to spike your blood sugar twice as quickly. So if you have stopped taking in alcohol and replaced it with high sugar eating you are setting your self up for a relapse.

If you are ready to put an end to this cycle you need to be eating balanced meals every two hours and taking some amino acids to help rebuild and heal your brain chemistry. Balanced meals should consist of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. For healthy protein, eat chicken, fish beef, cheese, and steak; for fat- butter, olive oil, raw nuts, cream cheese; for carbs-fruits and lots of veggies.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(You didn't see me here) hiding_behind_a_couch.gif

LOOK, you come back, and everyone posts! If that's not proof you're needed, I don't know what is. :wink:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thanks, Brenda. I think you all do fine with or without me. If I could do without the extra sharp (white) cheddar cheese - now that would be helpful.

I'm still not eating things, though I did have three cocktails and a Coke in the past ten days.

The end.

Hang tough, ya'll.

winken.gif don't lay chocolate eggs.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    um. ^^ Still not eating sweet [/img] things.

...........................yeahthat.gif

obviously I'm eating things..........
  • Marla64
    Options
    Well, I gotta tell ya, Cheryl, I felt so bad reading your swan song because I'd started this whole "no sweets until" stuff. Did I open up this encouragment thread just to make it harder for all of us?

Personally, I lost 40 pounds eating all foods in moderation. I ate 1200-1400 calories of the same crap I fed my family. Peanut butter and jelly on white bread, cereal, pastas.....and the occasional sweet, logged and documented.

Self control is self control to me. Why, oh why did I start feeling and believing otherwise? Controlling myself to have a small portion of the thing I occasionally want and LOGGING it, and then stopping the eating when the calories are done for the day led to 40 pounds less of me.

So, why and when did I start to freak out? Yeah, I may have less "belly flab," but...eh....I'm not gonna sweat it. I don't have a steady diet of it. I don't eat it every day.

I'm chillin' out on this and going back to what worked for me....
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I had to face my demon head on, and I'm glad this thread forced me to do it, so don't think it was all bad! I learned a BIG lesson from participating here. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yeah, I really don't totally understand Marla's post......I just had to bow out - for ME.

Each to his/her own.

Not because of how other people deal with the issue. I do better with total abstinance from sugar. Apparently some people can do it another way.

rats, edit......................................................................
  • Marla64
    Options
    my only point, dear Cheryl, was that by starting the abstinence thread maybe put too much emphasis on it.

Like, for example, "QUICK, don't think of a pink elephant."

you know? As soon as you're challenged to NOT do something, you want it. (there's a scriptural reference too that's very much the same theme, but I'll refrain)

And then wondering why I worried about abstaining from sugar in the first place, when I was doing just fine with it in moderation for over a year. I guess the plateau that I've been on freaks me, so I think of trying new things.

But, my bottom line was feeling guilty that I made things harder for you in the long run by beginning the thread of "encouragement."

Did I make any better sense? (not a great day over here)
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    my only point, dear Cheryl, was that by starting the abstinence thread maybe put too much emphasis on it.

Like, for example, "QUICK, don't think of a pink elephant."

you know? As soon as you're challenged to NOT do something, you want it. (there's a scriptural reference too that's very much the same theme, but I'll refrain)

And then wondering why I worried about abstaining from sugar in the first place, when I was doing just fine with it in moderation for over a year. I guess the plateau that I've been on freaks me, so I think of trying new things.

But, my bottom line was feeling guilty that I made things harder for you in the long run by beginning the thread of "encouragement."

Did I make any better sense? (not a great day over here)

I follow you and after Cheryl's post I started to think the same thing and rethink how I had been thinking about sugar. Sugar was never really a huge issue... til I made it one. Sure I like sugar, always have, but when I really watch and follow a good diet, added sugar's are not part of it for the most part. The more I tried to stay away, the more I wanted it.

Moderation is the key to success in many ways. Moderation can be defined differently. For some it means one little thing each day, for others it means a weekly treat, for others moderation is once a month or less.

I am not stressing the sugar, I'm focusing on eating well, exercising and being happy.

Right now, there is a pic of a girl in a sports bra to the right, it says Become a Personal Trainer. Dude, I want those abs.