Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Halloween~ My children are not happy!

Options

Replies

• JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'll be handing out raisins and protein shakes and ezekiel bread with sweet potato spread.

Then, I'll move to another state because my house would get burned down.

Honestly, I'll be handing out candy bars and when it nears the end of the night some lucky kid will be getting a buttload of candy. This solves the leftover candy issue and it makes one kid really freakin' happy.

That's how I do it too! The last kid wins the jackpot. I also try not to buy stuff that I like. If I buy the Snickers, I'm going to eat them.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie ideas - Discount stores often have bags of toys, erasers, pencils, mini pin ball games for Halloween. I stock up on those. Also, small bottles of water and/or juice is a great give-away. Kids get super thirsty going trick-or-treating.

As for the candy, yeah, we buy it too. And, the kids bring home gobs. But, mysteriously it all is gone in about 5 days. After the kids go to school, i throw out about 1/3 of what is in their bag. In the trash. In about 5 days, there's no more stinking Halloween candy.

:( I would have cried so much if my parents ever did this to my candy stash.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I do it. The last kid wins the jackpot!

I also try not to buy stuff I like. That way I'm not tempted to eat the goodies while I'm waiting for the doorbell to ring.:smile:
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the country and we got homemade stuff all the time. One of the older ladies made popcorn balls every year just for Halloween. Her kids had been grown and moved away years before and this brought her great joy. I hate that we live in a society where people no longer trust their neighbors to not poison homemade snacks. I will be traveling on the 31st this year, so no worries about left over candy.
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    As a kid we threw out half the bag anyway because all the pieces were ripped and then ended up giving it away at school to classmates or just throwing the access amount of it away (since I only really like certain things and I never could get very many of what I wanted) now we just don't buy candy to give away since there aren't many kids anymore. Used to give out handfulls to make the pile smaller and we would end up with a small amount which my parents usually consumed while us kids were away at school (at that age when your to old for trick or treating)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My husband and I (who don't have kids) talked about giving out bags of pretzels, or popcorn this year instead of candy so there would be none left over... possibly McDonalds Free Ice Cream Cone Certificates...
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Every year, I go out and buy 5-6 mega bags of mini candy bars for Halloween. Even tho we generally only have maybe a couple of dozen trick or treaters...

We generally have tons of the stuff left and I can eat Snickers and Peanut Butter Cups all day! :)
    To solve my problem of having all that candy left over after the season, I purchased Rice Crispy Treats!
    My reasoning, first of all, I wont sit and eat them one after another if there are any left...
    AND even if I do have one or two after the season, they are much less of an evil than a Snickers! o_O

My kids are not happy! lol

What do you do to avoid the left over candy?
    Do you not buy the candy and do something different?
    Just looking for some other ideas for next year maybe...

They're probably unhappy because you just nixed the majority of their Halloween loot. Tell them to suck it up or buy their own!
    My solution was to send it to the husband's office but then he started working from home. Then I tried to see if the neighbor's would like to take it to work and they said the office already gets too much.

I say 'suck it up, buttercup!"
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My kids will be going ToTing, and I'm just going to exercise my self restraint. If I can sneak one a day in, that might satisfy my craving.

As far as purchasing, I'm doing something fairly healthy- pretzels or chips or something along those lines.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    We don't get many kids so I buy 10 full size candy bars. So I don't have bags of mini candies. So if only 6 come, then there are only 4 full size candy bars that I can space out way better than mini candies.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    we won't buy the candy until the day of, then when it starts to wind down, kids will get bigger and bigger fist fulls. This is our first Halloween in this Stepford Wives-esque neighborhood, so we will probably buy too much just to prevent running out since we don't know how hoppin it will be. But, yup no leftovers here - especially since my two kids will bring home their spoils, but I never touch their candy, I don't really like candy - my husband is another story.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Some lucky kids get the whole bowl of candy at the end of the night. I also by candy we don't like.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I buy the big bags at Sam's and give it away in handfuls. There's usually nothing left, but if there is I take it to work. This year I did buy less of what I like (chocolate) and more of what I don't (Skittles, etc.)
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I buy it - but, when I know nobody else is really coming, I give handfuls to the last kids to get rid of it! :smile:
  • skkdeere
    skkdeere Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our Local Food Shelf LOVES getting left over Halloween candy! Last year my kids trick or treated in a great neighborhood. Their candy combined together filled a 5-gallon pail! OMG! I was excited...needless to say I gained over 30lbs from Halloween to New Years! This year I have a plan and already contacted the food shelf. My kids get to keep only their favorites, as much as they can fit into a quart size canning jar. The rest is going with hubby to work and to the food shelf!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Our local dentist will give the kids $1 for each pound of candy they turn in.

Usually my kids will eat a piece or two the first few days following Halloween, then their interest dies down.

Sometimes I take the candy to work other times it goes in the trash.

I am a vegan and there is very little vegan-friendly candy!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do what I do whenever I have a lot of food I would gorge myself on, I take it to work. Never lasts long.
  • karabff
    karabff Posts: 98
    Options
    I send all the left over candy with my husband to take to work-out of sight out of mind!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I make my husband and son hide it from me. I'll take one piece and say ok, please hide the rest....lol And don't tell me where it is........
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I'll never know...
    I think I'm going to buy Junior Mints, they're pretty low fat, taste good, but aren't a huge temptation for me.
    And they are VERY refreshing!

You're my favorite quoter today!

I like the suggestions about non-candy stuff to hand out like microwave popcorn and glow sticks. Who doesn't love glow sticks?? I'll bet I can procure a few of those while I'm trick-or-treating in the West Village this Halloween.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of members are commenting on this. I couldn't read all of them. The whole issue of Haloween candy is loaded. I used to buy it "early" and then I had to buy more because it was gone by Halloween. I gave out pencils for a few years (the kids loved them...I had all sorts of themes and they could choose which ever ones they liked). My husband said it was dumb and after a while he started buying regular size hershey bars to give out. The kids loved that too. lol. Now he is gone and I get to choose. Last year I found individual serving pouches of fruit/nut trail mix at BJs. No enthusiasm from the kids but I bet they took them to school for lunches and snacks. Still undecided this year but it will not be candy. I like the idea of the wax lips, etc.