Do you eat Cereal?

Options

Replies

• sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of Special K on the weekends for breakfast and it hasn't hindered me at all.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Nope. Eggs and sausages.
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Holy Crap (Canadian)

There is seriously a cereal called that? Hahah

Anyways .... this morning I decided to have a bowl of Special K topped with banana instead of my usual porridge (oatmeal) an ok nutritional choice I thought .... however I was hungry much earlier on in the morning..... so personally I go for porridge for keeping me fuller for longer...
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I eat kashi and special k. Occasionally I'll snap and buy a thing of "junky" cereal because its on sale and I want it haha
  • parmeisan
    parmeisan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a new celiac, I can't eat oatmeal or much of any normal breakfast foods (toast, muffins, etc) but I love my Gogo Quinoa + Nature's Path Whole O's mix. Not sure what I'd do if I had to get rid of my cereal.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmcereallllll

i dont eat it everyday, but when i do i like to get silly with some frosted mini wheats with strawberry crap in it, orrrrrr some peanut butter cheerios, orrrrrr some cinnamon toast crizzzzunch!

i like whole milk on it too. and side of bacon.....always.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Until I discovered how good overnight oats could be, I bought a lot of cereal.

This morning's overnight oats were superb:

50g oats
    25g raisins
    100ml apple juice
    25g pecans
    Big tsp peanut butter
    Cinnamon
    Ginger

I aim around 600kcal for breakfast. I really wouldn't like to eat that many calories in cereal...
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In the am, most cereals spike my blood sugar too much. Not much different than a bowl of sugary dessert as far as my blood sugar goes.

I do love it occasionally though....esp cocoa pebbles or something. yummm Been a while since I had it though. I don't really see it as good for me.

THe past few days I have skipped breakfast entirely, fasting thru till lunch.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Kashi Indigo Morning...as a snack. So yummy, it is ridiculous. And only 100 calories per 3/4 cup. Just make sure to shake the box or all the blueberries and blackberries will be at the bottom!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't say "never" to any foods. And I"ve found that each of us has certain foods that don't agree with us during weight loss. I eat granola, a couple fiber one cereals, as well as oatmeal. These are fine for me to eat and I lost weight eating them. I now maintain eating them. The higher sugar cereals I don't like, but if I did, I would maybe treat myself to one every now and then. If you enjoy cereals, measure appropriately for correct portion, and still lose/maintain weight, go ahead.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No cereals. Putting that kind of blood sugar spike in my system after overnight fasting (sleeping) throws my blood sugar into a boom-crash cycle for the whole day (that's cereal without any sugar at all).

If your blood sugar is okay with it, go for it. But read the ingredients, most breakfast cereals are designed to be cheap, long life and tasty more than nutritious (sugar, fluffy nutrient depleted grains, dried fruit, very little protein). Grains do have nutrients, but most vegetables and fresh fruit kick their nutritional butt. What you put on your cereal counts too, I can't have the milk either. Unsweetend Almond Milk will give you a lower carb count plus protein.

If I want something like a cereal, I'll have a Muffin in a Minute, made from Golden Flaxmeal.

There is plenty of medical evidence that some people should not eat cereal for breakfast. Anyone with blood sugar or insulin problems should be very wary. My doctor would have a pink fit if I started having cereal for breakfast, it could even trigger diabetes (I'm Insulin Resistant).

That said, lots of athletes will carb-loads with 14 weetbix and it works fine for them. Find what works for you and your body. We are all different. Bircher Muesli works well for some people (soaked oats), it causes too many spikes for me.
  • Luvs_Chocolate
    Luvs_Chocolate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hell ya!! who says cereals just for kids?

Cheerios plain
    Special K Vanilla and Almond etc
    Fiber one
    Rice krispies
    and Fruit Loops when I'm feeling naughty!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    bottom line is if you want to loose weight and get fit and in shape per say.....cereal isnt the best option for breakfast. too much starch with not enough fibre in most cereal....id suggest oatmeal (original unsweetened) instead...it has very slow digesting carbohydrates giving you ample energy through out the morning and keeping you full for longer.

ideally a protein heavy breakfast is the best way forward. Thats what i found has worked for me and keeps me full and energised through out the morning.

I agree with you in principle, but there are some decent cereal options out there. These are the numbers for the cereal I usually have:
    162 cals
    Fat: 3g (0.5 saturated)
    Carbs: 21g
    Protein: 7g
    Fibre: 12g
    Sodium: 25mg
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sometimes!.. I REALLY love Nestle Fitness with yogurt, mmmmmm good!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't. They never sustain me. Even the ones with fiber and protein. I just stick to eggs and English muffins or tortillas. :)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal very often because I find I get hungry fairly quickly after eating it.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I mix a little homemade granola in my yogurt but otherwise I don't eat cereal because I only like the kinds you can snack on without milk (hate all kinds of milk cow, almond, coconut, allergic to soy) and those kinds of cereals are very sugary like cookie crisp, frosted mini wheats, etc so i don't eat them or keep them in the house anymore. I have a hard time resisting temptation
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Loving that fiber plus cinnamon oat crunch cereal right now...also a huge fan of mini wheats, frosted flakes, and peanut butter cheerios
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I like anything from Nature's Path.
    Right now I have the flax plus multigrain cereal. All their cereals have been really good so far.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    Shredded wheat--every day. The biscuit kind. With berries added. If you look at the ingredient list there is only one--whole wheat.