1200 is not difficult.

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To use your example, that 400 lb woman is probably somewhere in the 40-60% BF (body fat) range, which means her LEAN MASS is approximately 160-240 lbs.

Interesting idea,

Obese: 194 lbs, FFM 111 lbs, 42 %fat
    Morbidly obese: 239 lbs, FFM 122 lbs, 48% fat
    from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12641641

I'm not seeing 40% BF at 400 lbs somehow

The calculators I have used said that I started at 68% body fat (263 lbs) and now 56% body fat (225 lbs). That *does* seem rather high, but how should I now? :ohwell:

The same calculator showed me at 89 pounds LBM in the beginning and now shows 96 pounds LBM. I always hope that it's really higher. There's no way to know for sure, I guess.
  • LISALOSBORNE
    Options
    I read all 14 pages of this thread.

The 1200 calories and me being 5'2" will probably work for a while.
    At 1200 calories may be starving my husband to death. He'll be happy to know, I'm increasing his calorie intake.

:D
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The calculators I have used said that I started at 68% body fat (263 lbs) and now 56% body fat (225 lbs). That *does* seem rather high, but how should I now? :ohwell:

The same calculator showed me at 89 pounds LBM in the beginning and now shows 96 pounds LBM. I always hope that it's really higher. There's no way to know for sure, I guess.

Calculators like that are NOTORIOUSLY bad for folks at extreme ends of the spectrum (short, tall, heavy, light). I weigh 300 lbs. BMI doesn't have a shot in hell of accurately assessing my actual BF%. Don't sweat it.
  • I think 1200 is reasonable. I have a way to test my muscle mass and body fat whenever I want and that helps to make sure I am not shorting myself on calories.. I am not a tall person and I feel more than happy with 1200 calories and my doctor said that most people who are on the shorter side like me, I am five foot and one half inch can do okay with it as long as they are not doing hard core training.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When I was into losing (before pregnancy), 1200 worked fine for me. That was 1200 net, so if I exercised I ate more. It wasn't that hard and I wasn't starving at all.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Some may hate me for it, but generally, if you're a petite female, 1200 is perfectly fine. 10-11 calories per POUND of body weight for sedentary individuals is a healthy amount. Granted, this is of course such a diet has sufficient EFAs, micronutrients, and protein. 1200 calories of just fats/carbs and no fiber/micros/protein IS unhealthy.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    128622_v1.jpg

Winston Churchill is not impressed.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was excpecting this.

1200 is not difficult...said no one...ever.

I'm leaving now
  • BookterAE12
    BookterAE12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-plan what I am going to eat the day before. 1200 calories is tough. I'm either 100 calories over or like 60 under. Any thoughts or suggestions on a great meal or day of meals/snacks?
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories for months, and started at 221 pounds, and I felt 'full' too.

Then suddenly I wasn't losing anymore, and my family was complaining how cranky I was, and how saggy I looked.

Went to the doctor and most of the weight I lost was fat, and muscle.

I had to start strength training to rebuild what my body had eaten to fuel itself.

I now eat almost 1800 calories a day and I lose weight steadily.

I have a *kitten* ton more energy, I am not longer cranky, and I look fit...not skinny.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Since OP keeps pointing out that we're all special snowflakes, and what works for some people, won't work for everyone...

I can only assume the whole point of this thread was to bow down to her awesomeness that "1200 is not difficult"

I ran outta gold stars so I hope this will do:

orson-welles-clapping.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Some may hate me for it, but generally, if you're a petite female, 1200 is perfectly fine. 10-11 calories per POUND of body weight for sedentary individuals is a healthy amount. Granted, this is of course such a diet has sufficient EFAs, micronutrients, and protein. 1200 calories of just fats/carbs and no fiber/micros/protein IS unhealthy.

I agree. There are certain people for whom 1200 is not too few.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

well said.

This can sum up this whole thread.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

well said.

But the OP isn't a petite female. She's 220lbs (ish) or 100kgs.
  • zanaedreamwalker
    Options
    Great job. It is seeming difficult to me. I'm sure that the more I learn, the easier it will get, though. I am 57-year-old, with firbromyalgia and Type 2 diabetes, so it will take adjusting at a slower pace, I think. You are an inspiration!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Nobody is different.

You are not special, unique, or a delicate snowflake.

Personal preferences, ailments, and lifestyles might lend themselves better to one paradigm or another. But the same basic principles apply to everyone:

Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.
    Eat too much less than you burn and a greater portion of that weight lost will be from LBM and can result in health issues
    Eating adequate protein supports LBM retention on a deficit and growth on a surplus
    Resistance training supports LBM retention on a deficit and growth on a surplus
    Weight loss/gain and LBM loss/gain are not linear processes

So everyone has the same BMR and TDEE??

I can guarantee that a 60 year old woman needs fewer calories than a 25 year old man. Yes, we are different. I am not a unique snowflake, for there are many snowflakes just like me. But I am a different snowflake than you!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

well said.

She is also 45. Her metabolism is a lot lower than a 20 year old.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

well said.

Does it make me a dirty old woman if I say you have awesome abs?!
  • angelatolomeo
    Options
    1200 for me is over what I normally do. I thought I had to stay above 1,000 when I started dieting until I came on here. When I track my foods it always says I'm under and that I should be eating 1600 (YEAH RIGHT!) I always try and eat 1000 or less.
  • Apeck87
    Apeck87 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

well said.

She is also 45. Her metabolism is a lot lower than a 20 year old.

I looked at her diary, she doesnt exercise.. If you dont exercise its easier to eat less, I eat about 1250-1400 calories a day. 1200 is not doable if you are exercisely intensly.