Please Help Me - I Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I can't handle all those numbers. Good luck , I hope you find the answers you need.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you don't intake a minimum of 1300 calories a day your body will go into starvation mode

Oh boy.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options

Let me ask you something, you say a ketogenic diet works for you, are you aware of what changes in your body and veins happen to create a "stroke?"

Yeah, I stopped having afternoon migraines...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1. Your BMR is not 1200, it is about 1448. Check it here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    2. Adding your exercise calories to that does not give you your TDEE. You first have to multiply it by the activity factor. Even completely sedentary people get a 1.2, but most people are more like 1.5. So that makes your TDEE 2172 (all numbers are estimates, every human is slightly different and we cannot be put on a chart precisely).
    3. A healthy deficit is 20% of TDEE. So you should be aiming for 1737 a day, which can be rounded to 1700, since it's all estimates anyway.

This is your starting point. Eat 1700 a day and lift weights, for a FULL MONTH.
    Do NOT step on a scale during that month.
    After a full month, judge your progress by what you see in the mirror, how you feel, and how your clothes fit, not by any numbers on a box on the floor, or any numbers some dude at the gym told you while poking you with plastic things...numbers mean nothing.
    IF you do not notice ANY positive changes after that whole month, tweak your calorie intake SLIGHTLY by going down to 1600 or so, and try that for at least 3 weeks before making a decision if it has helped or not.

My personal opinion? You ate way too little for way too long, you screwed your metabolism over, and it is going to take some work to fix it. Eating 1200 or less a day again is not going to do you any long term favors. Fix your furnace so it burns properly.

repost in case you missed this within the arguing....

On page 3 you stated your BMR was 1200 and went on to add exercise and call it your TDEE.
    You're doing it wrong. See above.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    1. Your BMR is not 1200, it is about 1448. Check it here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    2. Adding your exercise calories to that does not give you your TDEE. You first have to multiply it by the activity factor. Even completely sedentary people get a 1.2, but most people are more like 1.5. So that makes your TDEE 2172 (all numbers are estimates, every human is slightly different and we cannot be put on a chart precisely).
    3. A healthy deficit is 20% of TDEE. So you should be aiming for 1737 a day, which can be rounded to 1700, since it's all estimates anyway.

This is your starting point. Eat 1700 a day and lift weights, for a FULL MONTH.
    Do NOT step on a scale during that month.
    After a full month, judge your progress by what you see in the mirror, how you feel, and how your clothes fit, not by any numbers on a box on the floor, or any numbers some dude at the gym told you while poking you with plastic things...numbers mean nothing.
    IF you do not notice ANY positive changes after that whole month, tweak your calorie intake SLIGHTLY by going down to 1600 or so, and try that for at least 3 weeks before making a decision if it has helped or not.

It does not have to be as complicated as this thread suggests. ^^^^This is the most sensible response to the OP. Just tweak your calorie intake a bit, You say you lost at 1000 cal per day and are not losing at 1700 cal a day. There is a big difference between 1000 and 1700, so just try a bit less than what you have been lately and check it in a few weeks.
  • blunderwhere
    blunderwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would like everyone's input on my situation. Caution: If you don't give me the answer I am looking for or like I plan to call you a troll. ( ;
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

Let me ask you something, you say a ketogenic diet works for you, are you aware of what changes in your body and veins happen to create a "stroke?"

You didn't answer my question, so I shall assume you do not have any idea of what I'm talking about.
    I'm done with your "please help me" plea.... you don't want help, just people to tell you what you want to hear.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

You didn't answer my question, so I shall assume you do not have any idea of what I'm talking about.
    I'm done with your "please help me" plea.... you don't want help, just people to tell you what you want to hear.

Your argument is COMPLETELY anecdotal. There is absolutely no evidence that suggests saturated fat is linked to having a stroke.

CONCLUSIONS:
    A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

I second this^^^^ And there are HUNDREDS of these studies. Would you like a list???
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I can factually say this from my own experience, it's not just about calories, it's about what you eat and don't eat.
    Processed foods are not good for weight loss...

My advice, eat lots of unprocessed fruit, vegetables, some nuts, seeds but nuts and seeds in moderation, and not roasted or salted...
    I've lost 85 pounds this year, and never been hungry once, and being I'm disabled I can't exercise...
    But don't listen to me, do your own research, and find the truth for yourself...

This is Annette Larkins, she's 70 years old, and look at the difference in the way she looks, compared to her husband who eats the standard American diet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

I've lost 85 pounds this year, and never been hungry once, and being I'm disabled I can't exercise...

Holy Moly. Congratulations!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    I can factually say this from my own experience, it's not just about calories, it's about what you eat and don't eat.
    Processed foods are not good for weight loss...

My advice, eat lots of unprocessed fruit, vegetables, some nuts, seeds but nuts and seeds in moderation, and not roasted or salted...
    But don't listen to me, do your own research, and find the truth for yourself...

Awesome job! Kudos to you!!!
    I watched that video - she looks amazing! What a great story!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    Your argument is COMPLETELY anecdotal. There is absolutely no evidence that suggests saturated fat is linked to having a stroke.

OMG.... really? When you're 50 and have your first stroke (like my momma), you let me know. That is if you're not half paralyzed and still know your own name.

Ok, I guess all of her doctors were completely wrong. I take it you must have a PhD in nutrition and know better than five physicians that were treating her? Let me break it down so even the teens on the board can understand this:

1. Dietary saturated fat increases blood cholesterol. Foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol can increase cholesterol levels. Saturated fat is NOT needed by your body, and one's body typically makes enough cholesterol on it's own.

2. When you have increased blood cholesterol, it deposits all over the walls in your veins, worst case scenario is in the "chipped" areas of your veins.... as they turn into blood clots and the body doesn't like those clotty things swirling around in the veiny bits all that much.

3. When these particles/clotty chunks of cholesterol and what not break off due to blood rushing past them in your veins..... ta daaaa... when that particle gets stuck, you have a stroke.

PS - When you throw a blood clot/stroke out in your lungs it kills you and your lips will turn blue. Just ask my mother......

The end. Carry on!

"Eat a healthy diet — maintaining a diet low in calories, saturated and trans fats and cholesterol helps manage both obesity and healthy cholesterol levels in the blood, which also reduces risk for stroke."
    http://www.stroke.org
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I thought that, it sounds more realistic, but... total weight has a bigger impact in terms of energy expenditure. You might be right.

Using the example above a 150lbs person with 20% bodyfat = 30lbs of fat.

30lbs (31kcal/lbs) = 930 calories of fat per day. Or 1.86lbs a week.

20% bodyfat is pretty average, and most people say 1.86lbs might be too much for a person with 20% body fat.
    Really, even 2 lbs/week is a heck of a lot of weight to lose. I think most people who are on this forum don't really need to be concerned... by the time you hit the high end of overweight, even using my paranoid 23kcal/lb (arbitrary number based upon error margins) fat yields enough energy to supply a full day's TDEE. I just didn't want to go into an insane amount of detail for someone who just wants a simple 'what do i need to do' plan, so chose 1.5 lbs as it should be reasonable for a female til at least the low 20's, and know that people here have a bad tendency to go overboard on the cardio+caloric restriction, lose a ton of lean body mass, then post "OMG I LOST THE WEIGHT AND I LOOK TERRIBLE" type posts.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Yes lyle mcdonald is educated, but he's frowned apron now. He's inconsistent with what he says. his rapid fat loss plan is BS.
    Why do you say that?? Who says that?
    The raid fat loss plan, me and my friends did it, i had a private group on MFP for it. i only allowed experienced MFP members i the group. Results... I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks, stalled out for 3, i was eating 1,300 calories a day. WIth no results i said screw it on week 5 got off it. I gained back 7lbs in 2 days after that. Total loss 3lbs in 5 weeks.

He wrote a protein book that sells kind of high, I think 100 dollars or so. In the first chapter he says, "protein consumption should be based on lean body mass" then he write a long *kitten* book where he recommends protein consumption based on "total weight"

Someone challenged him on his forums. It was a talk about insulin. The guy said.. "if insulin wasn't produced no one would be fat" (of course we'd also be dead). Mcdonald's reply was, "Diabetes isn't normal physiology"

People who are over weight have some from of insulin resistance. Since he writes for people who have "normal physiology" none of his stuff applies to us.

He wrote an article that says, "you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time." Yet he wrote a book on the subject on how to do so. UD 2.0 (Ultimate DIet 2.0)

sounds like you did it wrong.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

OMG.... really? When you're 50 and have your first stroke (like my momma), you let me know. That is if you're not half paralyzed and still know your own name.

Ok, I guess all of her doctors were completely wrong. I take it you must have a PhD in nutrition and know better than five physicians that were treating her? Let me break it down so even the teens on the board can understand this:

1. Dietary saturated fat increases blood cholesterol. Foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol can increase cholesterol levels. Saturated fat is NOT needed by your body, and one's body typically makes enough cholesterol on it's own.

2. When you have increased blood cholesterol, it deposits all over the walls in your veins, worst case scenario is in the "chipped" areas of your veins.... as they turn into blood clots and the body doesn't like those clotty things swirling around in the veiny bits all that much.

3. When these particles/clotty chunks of cholesterol and what not break off due to blood rushing past them in your veins..... ta daaaa... when that particle gets stuck, you have a stroke.

PS - When you throw a blood clot/stroke out in your lungs it kills you and your lips will turn blue. Just ask my mother......

The end. Carry on!

"Eat a healthy diet — maintaining a diet low in calories, saturated and trans fats and cholesterol helps manage both obesity and healthy cholesterol levels in the blood, which also reduces risk for stroke."
    http://www.stroke.org
    TL;DR: Regular exercise and not being fat are more important to your cardiovascular health than diet.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/healthy-fats/index.html

Current research indicates dietary fat intake has a negligible effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Obesity/diabetes ("metabolic syndrome) is the number one correlate for cardiovascular issues such as heart attack and stroke.

Anecdotally, I eat probably 2-3x the "recommended" dosage of saturated fats, have normal LDL, and "high" HDL (in case you are unaware, high HDL is very good), which puts my ratio in the "disgustingly healthy" category according to my doctor. Poor cholesterol and heart attacks/stroke run in my family, so it is definitely not genetic. Also, my father had blood pressure and cholesterol issues prior to starting a diet/workout regimen similar to mine, and, despite eating a significant quantity of saturated fat as well, after 6 months he now requires no meds, and has very healthy BP and cholesterol numbers.

I realize you are trying to help, and recommend you review the most recent literature, as you will find that our understanding of the role of dietary fats in blood lipid levels has changed drastically over the last several years.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    DO NOT EAT EMPTY CARBS. carbs from veggies are okay but try to limit your carbs to 100grams or less per day. the weight will shed off of you. eat a lot of meats, veggies, berries(in moderation), NO precessed food, eat fish and DRINK A LOT OF WATER, try to cut sugar out completely(use stevia-its a 0 cal natural sweetener)

basically check out the PALEO/PRIMAL lifestyle and the weight will come off without you having to restrict.

and working out is anyways nice to to look toned
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you came to the wrong place for dietary advice.

go to your doctor and then maybe a nutritionist.

you need professional advice. you will not find that here.

Yes there is a lot of terrible rambling and people who just want to get their opinions out there with out having a clue on this topic.

there has been a good answer here, which is a surprise. that doesn't normally happen. that being said a good nutritionist should be able to measure your BF% and the rest and hopefully give you better advice than 95% of people on this forum.

if you don't eat properly it can be very bad for you. thats why seeing a doctor is a good idea. she could have health problems and needs a check up, no matter how stupid you say your doctor is.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I would like everyone's input on my situation. Caution: If you don't give me the answer I am looking for or like I plan to call you a troll. ( ;

"in addition, if someone gives me really really good advice, I will not acknowledge it's existence or say thank you for correcting my glaring errors... I will only argue with everyone else and ignore the best piece of truth and knowledge in the thread"
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

"in addition, if someone gives me really really good advice, I will not acknowledge it's existence or say thank you for correcting my glaring errors... I will only argue with everyone else and ignore the best piece of truth and knowledge in the thread"

hear+speak+see+no+evil.jpg