So when do you say goodbye to MFP?

Options

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You never leave...No but seriously, not just to keep on track, but for funsies-mfp is just an educated apporach to knowing what you put in your body.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'll leave MFP when every single one on my friend's list has hit their goals. Without their support, I'd have NEVER hit mine.
  • hgbair
    hgbair Posts: 1
    Options
    I work in a weight loss center and I would say that you should just stay with it. The dietitian in our office says that you should always keep a food journal. It's a lot easier to look back and see where you have room for improvement when you can see what you've been eating. It's a good habit to have. Stick with it.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    In the words of a very wise person:

Never ever ever.

Like ever.

this!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to try and put some muscle on properly without putting too much fat on.
    I was saddened to hear these days this means actually eating just 250 calories over TDEE, rather than eating as much as I wanted!

That being the case, will definitely be sticking with MFP to ensure I'm not going too far over this and putting too much fat on.

After that, think it depends "where I am" and what I'm eating.
    I can generally still get a reasonable idea of what's going on and may be quite happy to just set myself a weight limit where I start paying attention again - ie, say if I hit 13stone I may consider losing weight, but not worry about it until the scales get up to that level.)
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I also found MFP right at the end of my journey, and have been maintaining for about 6 months now. I don't think I'll stop logging my food anytime soon. Logging gives me accountability, which is what I was lacking before I started my journey. It makes me look up the calories and the macros in everything I eat, so that I make better decisions about the food I put in my body. I'm also running bulk/cut cycles to put on some more muscle mass, and tracking calories on here is excellent for that.

I figure the more tools I have at my disposal to control my weight, the better. At this point, it takes maybe 5 minutes a day to log everything. Very small price to pay for the benefit of staying healthy.
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ditto. For some it's like advising a recovering alchoholic when its okay to start drinking again. Those bad habits that got your body to a point that you were unhappy with are hard to kill and they're always ready to come back. MFP is a good way to stay focused... not the only way, but its easy and free 92 deal sealers for me). I'm hoping I'll stick with it forever.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MFP is only a tool. If you feel like you can get the job done without it then quit.

What i've learned is that Losing weight is easy. Maintaining your weight is the hard part.

I agree completely.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bunch of fanboys (and fangirls).

I've left MFP for good at least once a week for about a year. I keep coming back.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    MFP is like the haunted mansion at Disneyland... ....

...consider this dismaying observation...this chamber has no windows and no doors... which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out! :devil: :devil: :devil:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I found MFP late in my weight loss journey (lost 70 pounds total) and it was rerally helpful for fine tuning my diet when I was close to my goal weight. I made it to maintenance in February of this year. I tried to quit MFP meal tracking a time or two but failed a little and had to stay with it. I think I have it down now and my training regarding portion sizes, acceptable foods, exercise, etc. is complete. The only reason I am still on MFP, I guess, is habit, keeping the days-logged-on streak alive, and keeping in touch with my MFP pals.

So I have to ask the question...So when do you say goodbye to MFP?

Anyone else have the same dilema going on?

i'll quit logging my meals here when :

a. the site goes defunct
    b. my heart's ability to pump blood to my brain and vital organs goes defunct.

while dropping 110, i made myself the promise that i would not ever have to do this again. i have been logging maintenance for several years now on various sites, and intend to keep the promise.
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What if you cut down on the frequency? Maybe start off by logging in three times a week... just to check in, maintain that checks and balances thing. Pick a day to weigh in to make sure you are where you want to be for maintenance. Then you can go down to once a week for weigh in... and if you go three weeks and see you've gained... maybe track until you are back where you want to be... then go back down again?

IDK... this is a tough one. I'm still a long ways off from maintenance. I have friends on here that are not here for weight loss, but rather for tracking their fitness goals for endurance... or strength training... etc. It's not just about weight loss.

I know that I've had issues in the past keeping it off as a lifestyle... without any checks and balances. I don't like the idea of tracking EVERYTHING forever... but I am not willing to let myself go back to where I started either. If it's not something you want to do forever I would say just make sure that you check in with yourself consistently enough to make sure that you stay at maintenance. Six months maintenance seems like a long time... but old habits die hard... and when life gets busy and temptations abound... things like the holidays and constantly saying... to myself, oh I just missed one workout... and it's just one day of splurge that adds up to day after day... and skip after skip... I don't want to let myself do that.

Pretty much though... you have got to find what works for you... and know that IF you do add on some weight... you can ALWAYS come back... and it's better to come back sooner rather than later. I wouldn't cancel your account... and maybe if you do ween off... check in at least once a month or something to log your weight... that way a year or two down the road you can still document your status.

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree that you'll likely be more successful if you keep logging once you get to goal, at least for a little while. And that's what I plan to do. Something I've done all along this process is to take on the ways of some of my slimmer/fitter friends and for at least two of them, they only log when the weight starts creeping up or they want to check on their macro balance.

So I figure that's the way I'll do it to. Get to my primary goal, keep logging and maybe work on losing another 5-10 and then after I'm confident with my goal and maintaining it, I'll try to stop logging for a while. I've already tried this out a few times on vacations or weekends when it was too tough to log and I seem to do ok. Although it sounds a little scary, I don't think it'll be all that bad. Good news is, you can always come back when/if you need to!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP in January/Feb 2012. This was my first time trying to lose weight and I NEVER counted calories nor kept track of my eating & exercising. Once I did, I started dropping pounds, but especially inches immediately. I dropped down 4-6 pants sizes (going from a size 20 jeans (tight) to a size 16-14 in about 4 months and lost close to 20 pounds.

I overdid the exercising and hurt my foot, then took Tae Kwon Do and hurt my knee. I stopped tracking in June 2012 and like others, at first I continued to eat and drink and exercise most excellently--as I did when I logged on everyday. That lasted for about a month. Then I started eating sweets and snacks, because I wasn't logging and knowing my "friends" wouldn't see, I started eating out fast foods and eating junk out instead of cooking at home, and most destructively (for ME and my body type) I stopped exercising completely and went back to a sedentary lifestyle, God and Mfp helped me to deny.

I from June to September...I put on almost all of the weight back (gained back 12-13 pounds of the close to 20 I had worked so hard to lose.:indifferent: :sick: The size 16's still fit, but with a muffin top now. I can't fit the 14's anymore. I started back 21 days ago and am down 4-5 pounds since logging in faithfully again.

Long story short...my time to say goodbye to Mfp is going to be a long time. I need the accountability and humility (as in humble) because when I got "over-confident" that's when I feel back. I thought I'm grown and I don't need this "crutch". I humbly admit I was wrong. That's my story...but everyone is different:flowerforyou:
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I really like MFP I actually feel the people that are meet here make my Day. Honestly I look forward to saying Hi. When I don't go on because of being off the radar like camping it is like missing a relative. I would prefer to search the community or message boards. I like the positive remarks and when I ask for a kick in the butt I get the help I need. I can't imagine stopping.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Its like my new Facebook. :love:

Oh my god me too! I'm never on fb anymore. I love the community aspect of it, and honestly I will probably always have to log because it just sneaks up on you with how many calories are actually in things.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    I'm miles from goal but I think it would be nice to keep up with MFP on a more sporadic basis once you've maintained for a while to keep on top of bad habits creeping in. Otherwise I think a reward for all that hard work should be not having to be so heavily involved in logging and thinking about food and weight loss all the time, but to just be able to live a normal life as a slim you.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will, even when I've reached my goal. It's always good to log your food and excercise just to stay on track. Plus, it's great to have those that have reached their goal continue on here for motivation to others that haven't reached their goal. But, obviously nobody's obligated to stay on MFP regardless of reaching goal or not.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'll leave MFP when every single one on my friend's list has hit their goals. Without their support, I'd have NEVER hit mine.

I LOVE this answer. You are awesome.
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Never...

I am so hooked to it now that I check it more often than my FB account. lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!