"Did you know that running is bad for your boobs?"

Options
"Oh, I've been meaning to tell you: do you know that running is bad for your boobs? It helps them to sag more. Never will I run".

I got this comment from my cousin and I have read this before in websites. I am quite content to run regardless, because of the way it engages my body in physical work and it especially helps me when my mind is overwhelmed with loneliness and feelings of self-doubt. Plus it has helped me lose weight where worrying about the firmness of my breasts has not.

My resolve is that I have to purchase sports bras what provide good support. The condition of the skin on my breasts isn't very good from all the weight gain and weight loss over the years (at my heaviest, I was 60, 70 lbs heavier than today). For this, I can try to replenish the skin with lotions and stuff. But for now it feels like I cannot compromise overall fitness and health over a physical flaw that isn't really a flaw but a reality for a woman's body.

I am admitting things about my body that I would normally be embarrassed to say to friends or family so openly. If anybody was some suggestions or opinions about this issue, you are welcome to add your opinion.

Replies

• LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I am 48 and don't see much of a difference in mine. Invest in a couple of really good running bras and get your run on. A healthy body and confident attitude is always sexy!
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Interesting...this is why i do not run!

LOL jk i guess a good sports bra should do the trick but after 2 babies im still in the A cup club :( SADDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That sounds more like an excuse to me. The way I look at it if you have a good sports bra you wont have any problem. I know people that have sagggggyyyyyy boobs and they've never ran a day in their life and I also know people who are 100% completely opposite of that. If you're going to have saggy boobs you're going to have them. Simple as that. That's just my opinion.
  • emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. After nursing for a year, when my boobs on a daily basis would inflate to DDDs and deflate to Ds depending on how full of milk they were, my boobs will never be the same! But I ran through all that and I'm still running today. My advice to you is to get a great bra. There are bras out there that will stop the bounce 100%. Then you won't have to worry about running doing any harm to your precious ladies.

If you find a cream or something that helps, PLEASE let me know. I use Palmer's Cocao Butter which helps the quality of the skin, but there is only so much improvement that I'm seeing with that.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    To piggyback on this topic... Does anyone have any suggestions for good, supportive sports bras for larger busted women?
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    What in the world..? That is crazy talk.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mine were put there by a doctor rather than nature so i think I am exempt from this? lol
  • cfc32flvrs
    cfc32flvrs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    To piggyback on this topic... Does anyone have any suggestions for good, supportive sports bras for larger busted women?

Moving Comfort brand, Juno style. Best job bra ever! Nothing moves, you are strapped in tight.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options

You should start a thread with this topic. I've seen some suggestions for "regular" bras on MFP threads, but I'm a 38DD (and bigger during my week) and would love to find a sports bra that fits.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Someone has been watching too much Baywatch.
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    I went on a quest to Academy and tried on every single sports bra I could get in a 38D to find the most supportive/comfortable one! I got an Under Armor one that is soooooooooooo amazing! I love it! Is very comfortable and holds the girls in place!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Yes! in fact I wrote a whole blog post about it! check it out or PM me for my advice (can update to say that I have now run a marathon in the Freya sports bra and have had no breast pain at all!)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and have been running less than a year - old age and gravity have taken their toll on the girls, but that's about it! :laugh: A good compression sports bra is a great investment. :wink:

Someone has been watching too much Baywatch.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'll have to say I agree, because since I started running my breasts have all but dissapeared, lol.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    "Oh, I've been meaning to tell you: do you know that running is bad for your boobs? It helps them to sag more. Never will I run".

Bwahaha I've heard this too, along with "you know that long distance running is really bad for your joints right?" and "Oh I can't run, I've heard it's really bad for your knees"

I particularly love this when I hear it from friends or family who have never run a day in their lives and who struggle with weight problems. I generally reply: "You know what else is bad for your breasts, knees, joints, internal organs, etc? Being sedentary. Also being overweight."

And I know, you don't have to run to be fit or thin, but so far I've found no better method of managing weight and feeling fantastic. Running is a fully body workout that burns a ton of calories, and if you listen to your body and invest in the proper equipment, including very supportive bras, you can avoid injury completely.
  • JennyBug2007
    Options
    Surprisingly, I have converted from this belief. Well, I never ACTUALLY believed that running was bad for your boobs, but it did really hurt my back (I've always been a rather busty lass). My husband, who ran cross country for about 9 years, told me to start wearing a tighter bra. That didn't work - it just made it harder to breathe! I now wear two bras when I run, and I am perfectly comfortable. You might always have a little bit of bounce, but it definitely cuts down on it!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the bra suggestions! I'm way new to this running thing, but I'm determined to push past my mental restrictions and "just do it"... Ok, corny, I know, but really!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Babies - having them balloon to twice their size while pregnant and nursing, then nursing for a year *times two kids* - THAT wase bad for my boobs. :noway:

Fat loss - losing a lot of body fat... THAT was bad for my boobs. :grumble:

Running? Those puppies are crammed into my sports bra so tight that there is NO WAY it will have any noticeable effect... tho I do look like I end up with cleavage... :tongue:

Yeah, RUNNING is NOT bad for my boobs.
    Or at least, not what I have LEFT!!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me that I should stop running because it would make my face sag and make me look old.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Under Armour products are magical.