What are your "red lines" foods and why?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Kettle-cooked salt & vinegar chips. I could probably polish off a bag in a day without even thinking about it! lol. So yeah, I don't keep them in the house.

Oh definitely. I have a serious case of slug-mouth before I'm ready to put down the salt and vinegar potato chips
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Food in paper bags passed to you through a window. Bad times.
  • marfmellows
    Options
    Ordering out at all. I am a cook by nature so I know something is wrong when I am ordering food. There is no healthy way to do it, at least in my area, and it means I need to get by butt off the couch and do some grocery shopping and major kitchen cleaning!
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Alcohol- if I drink to much that is a lot of calories already, considering one of the only alcoholic drinks I like are around 250 calories per 12 ounces. Then the next day when I'm hung over all I want is greasy food. And exercise, well that's just out of the question. It usually takes me about a week to get back on track after a good night out. :/
    The other is chips- As a kid, My uncle worked for a huge chip company and we always got boxes and boxes of chips from him, no big deal when I was the young "skinny" kid. Now, I always crave them. Not good!

sooooooo right there with you!!
    i think this is currently my biggest challenge.
    i'm a hard cider fiend.
    i've moved down from the ultra yummy woodchuck at 200cal/bottle, to the pretty yummy magners at 125cal/bottle.
    but the calories still add up fast...
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Let's see...what is on my NEVER BUY list..... Cookies of any kind, cereal, CHEESE, ice cream, pastries, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting - and since it's better that way, I won't try too hard to remember!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Reeses or ANYTHING which combines PB & chocolate. Mmmmmmm!!!!! Been that way since I was a child.

Any type of buffet because I'm frugal and I want to get my money's worth in meat!!!

Buffalo chicken wings (w/pizza or fries). Family tradition on weekends from Nov thru April to make wings at home with a deep fryer (w/butter, parm. cheese, celery seed, Franks Red Hot and tabasco sauce). Kept it going after getting divorced 6 years ago with my sons. The wings beat buying them in a restaurant EVERY time and they're a lot cheaper.
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wine or a beer while I'm cooking supper. Its been my treat to motivate me to cook for my family after a long day of work. It relaxes me and brings out my inner gourmet goddess. Unfortunately it also brings out my appetite and my goddess is now FAT. So its my hardest habit to stop cause I still have to cook everyday- so the craving is still there.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Rice and Pasta are my two NO NO foods, once I start eating them I have a problem stopping, so I find it easier not to start.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    Chips, chips, chips and doughnuts. Especially doughnut holes from the local grocery store. I can polish off a box of those in 10 minutes. Ugh. So I don't even walk by those things in the grocery store. Too much temptation.
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mexican food - once I load up on chips and salsa, something triggers in my brain that says, "well, I might as well order a margarita and cheese enchiladas!"
    Pizza
    "Party food" - IE chips and any kind of dip, cheese/crackers, etc.
    Ice cream out of the carton
    Chinese food
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wine or a beer while I'm cooking supper. Its been my treat to motivate me to cook for my family after a long day of work. It relaxes me and brings out my inner gourmet goddess. Unfortunately it also brings out my appetite and my goddess is now FAT. So its my hardest habit to stop cause I still have to cook everyday- so the craving is still there.

I absolutely struggle with this, as well. It's relaxing to have a glass of wine while cooking, after a long day of work. But I found myself doing that EVERY night. Now, I look at it as a treat. Sometimes I pour sparkling, flavored water in a wine glass instead... it sort of tricks my brain into thinking I'm indulging in my old habit.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sweets! I went to culinary school for baking, so it sucks not being able to make the stuff I love - especially since the boyfriend isn't a big sweets person. Pizza too! I could still probably eat half of a deep dish pizza - or more!
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Baked stuff (brownies, muffins, cupcakes, etc) makes me want to binge like crazy. I have a rule now where I will only eat something baked if I bake it myself from scratch in a single serving size, so I can control all the ingredients that go into it and substitute for lower cal stuff.. especially with the holidays rolling around and there being pumpkin EVERYTHING..
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    sour patch kits, chewy sprees, licorice. they are definitely my gateway.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Caffeine (Lattes) - Frappucinos.
    Cookies, Ice Cream or both.
    Pie is another one.
    One of my biggest binge moments of the summer was a chocolate chip "cake" of marscapone - I had about a third of the cake! And it was basically just marscapone that "glued" many layers of cookies together...

Any processed sugar is a danger zone for me really...
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Pasta. Massive bowls of it - definitely signals "I've given up on today"
  • DLP87
    DLP87 Posts: 3
    Options
    Chips!! It's super hard to eat only 1 serving. I have to eat half the bag to feel satisfied so I just don't eat them often.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    god!! potatoes! bread! noodles! anything that's a carb! its amazing that someone that eats as healthy as me is as big.. i stay away from fried foods and a lot of desserts! i dont even drink soda! 't must be the side dishes!!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    chips and salsa, any kind of dip, condiments. My boyfriend calls me condiment queen. I can't just use ketchup, I have to have variety! haha

Anything Mexican or Italian is red line for me too... I indulge in those foods :/
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Funny - none of the things you list tempt me in the least.

But trail mix - all kinds - OMG! I could eat it until I'm so stuffed I can't move.

That's so funny - me, too! And it's hard, because with proper portion control, the kind I love is really great for you (lots of antioxidents and super nutrients). But I can't control my portions!

And banana w/peanut butter... in moderation, a very healthy snack. My version? NOT in moderation... lol