Replies

• Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    damn. 5 pages...hahahah
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Antioxidant Blend is 13g or 13,000mg. There are 16 ingredients. Break that down and it's over 800mg per ingredient. that seems sufficient to me...

and as with ANY supplement, it's more effective with prolonged and consistent use.

You are making the assumption that the blend is divided out equally, which is most likely a false assumption

prove to me it isn't. see, we're both hypothesizing with no info to back it up, except for the fact that i don't get sick and my digestion and energy levels are awesome. :)

What kind of asinine argument are you trying to make here? First off, you're hilariously assuming that the amount is split evenly amongst the 16 ingredients. Secondly, you're assuming that 800mg of each ingredient equates to an effective dose without factoring in what is the active component of each ingredient and how much of the active component one needs to take for that component to become effective.

Yes, taking certain components for prolonged periods of time will help that build up in the body BUT there is still a MAINTENANCE dose that is required daily to achieve that affect.

So hypothesizing or not, the fact is that your argument is ridiculous, nonsensical, and did I mention ridiculous? I mean, your argument equates to "look, it has all these ingredients and these are all theoretically good for you ingredients thus it MUST be good for you!"

Just purely from a baseline level, the minimum BB could tell you is if the nutrients and beneficial active components in this mix powder is provided at effective doses but obviously BB refuses to tell the consumer that. Also, saying that it's a proprietary blend and using that as an excuse to NOT reveal if the nutrients and active beneficial components are at a clinically proven effective dose per serving is ridiculous. Nobody is asking if for the exact amounts of each part of the ingredients profile but only asking if everything is given at clinically proven effective doses. Also, saying that it's all in a special blend that is synergistic is complete bull unless there is clinical research done on humans that is available to back up the claims of the synergistic effects (and those research trials will obviously tell what the combinations needs to be, what the ratios are, and what are the effective dosing of the components, which comes right back to my original point, why hasn't BB explained to the consumers that they are providing clinically researched and proven effective doses? BB doesn't have to reveal the prop blend amounts of each ingredients but should be able to say yes or no to the dosing being clinically researched and proven effective amounts).

Yeah, sure, you apparently don't get sick as often, your energy is higher, and your digestion is better. That's all just hyperbole though. Have you professionally monitored yourself for months or even a year to prove that Shakeology was the cause of such turn of events for your health? Obviously not. I can tell you right now that since I've supplemented with GNC Ultra Green for Men, I haven't gotten sick, my digestion is better, and I have more clean energy (and those multivitamins costs only $40 for a 2 month supply). Do I know this as scientific fact? HECK NO. All I can say for certain is that my pee is a nice consistent nearly highlighter yellow since I've been taking those multi-vitamins. Everything else could just be placebo, or due to eating better, generally better active lifestyle, change in certain habits, drinking more water, who knows but it is a fact that I haven't had a cold for almost a year now, energy levels are up, and my digestion is good since I can eat a tub of ice cream with no stomach discomfort and my number 2s are consistent floaters now. Sounds to me like I'm getting the same exact benefits that you claim to get from Shakeology except I don't have to put up with the excess fiber in Shakeology (that's what keeps you satiated, not some magical blend of superfoods, it's purely from the heavy dosing of fiber) and I'm paying just $40 for a 60 days supply of GNC Ultra Green for Men (they have the Women variety as well) plus I don't have to put up with a really bad tasting shake (I've had a sample packet, chocolate is only moderately better than that greenberry monstrosity).

Finally, yes, this is my first ever post on MFP but I just had to register and respond to your absolutely nonsensical asinine argument. I mean seriously, the question that was being asked was simple:

Are the beneficial components being dosed at an effective clinically proven dose per serving of Shakeology or not. We don't need to know the exact amounts but only if there is AT MINIMUM an effective dose that is clinically proven on humans, studies which are peer reviewed and not just BB paying for "tests" and paying for testimonials from so called "doctors."
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You realize, of course, that you have no idea whether or not you're right... you're making a hypothesis just like me. For there to be an AVERAGE (by the way, that doesn't mean they all have to bee the same) of 800mg/ingredient means that by default, as least something in there is probably at effective dosage levels. i mean hell, go ahead and look at all your supplements. Look at the number of mg for each ingredient. Typically they're NOWHERE NEAR 800. Typically - like with my dietary ezymes - the active ingredients are 45mg, 6mg, etc. Even in colostrum that I used to take it's 500mg. So for effective supplements like that to have much less than 800mg, and Shakeology avg's that 800mg/ingredient... i dunno man, use your head for a second.

would I prefer they just come out and say it? sure. has anyone actually ASKED? I don't know. Have you? What did they tell you?

your whole argument about the benefits also falls apart because shakeology only has 3g fiber. less than a bowl of oatmeal... so... that's not what keeps people satiated.

nah I'll grant you dude if you feel like you're getting the results you want on your GNC products that's cool and more power to you - to each his own. But for me here's why I use it.

1) It works
    2) It does taste good (Vegan Chocolate and Vegan Strawberry are both awesome, but you haven't tried those)
    3) I get to use it for free because I'm a coach, and I don't have to even sell it if I don't want to. When my team buys their own shakeology, I make money. When I buy it, they make money. I'd rather buy my supplements as part of a team, and put money in my friends' pockets, then just throw it all at the mega corporation GNC who doesn't even put out good products to begin with. Their **** is terrible and overpriced. (yeah... the guy using shakeology just said GNC is overpriced) :P

But listen, the main point is what I said up above. If you can give me proof that 800mg is NOT an effective dosage I'll back off, but all of my other supplements on the shelf say otherwise.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You realize, of course, that you have no idea whether or not you're right... you're making a hypothesis just like me. For there to be an AVERAGE (by the way, that doesn't mean they all have to bee the same) of 800mg/ingredient means that by default, as least something in there is probably at effective dosage levels. i mean hell, go ahead and look at all your supplements. Look at the number of mg for each ingredient. Typically they're NOWHERE NEAR 800. Typically - like with my dietary ezymes - the active ingredients are 45mg, 6mg, etc. Even in colostrum that I used to take it's 500mg. So for effective supplements like that to have much less than 800mg, and Shakeology avg's that 800mg/ingredient... i dunno man, use your head for a second.

would I prefer they just come out and say it? sure. has anyone actually ASKED? I don't know. Have you? What did they tell you?

your whole argument about the benefits also falls apart because shakeology only has 3g fiber. less than a bowl of oatmeal... so... that's not what keeps people satiated.

nah I'll grant you dude if you feel like you're getting the results you want on your GNC products that's cool and more power to you - to each his own. But for me here's why I use it.

1) It works
    2) It does taste good (Vegan Chocolate and Vegan Strawberry are both awesome, but you haven't tried those)
    3) I get to use it for free because I'm a coach, and I don't have to even sell it if I don't want to. When my team buys their own shakeology, I make money. When I buy it, they make money. I'd rather buy my supplements as part of a team, and put money in my friends' pockets, then just throw it all at the mega corporation GNC who doesn't even put out good products to begin with. Their **** is terrible and overpriced. (yeah... the guy using shakeology just said GNC is overpriced) :P

But listen, the main point is what I said up above. If you can give me proof that 800mg is NOT an effective dosage I'll back off, but all of my other supplements on the shelf say otherwise.

Yes people have asked the CEO
    OK, guys...let's beat a dead horse some more. I just wanted to let you know that I finally got an email response from Carl Daikeler concerning the prop blends of Shakeology and the suggestion that Green Vibrance may be more useful to people, especially concidering the high quality ingredients and lack of prop blends. I will put his entire email response to me in a quote box...and hopefully I am doing it right.

This is what the CEO of Beachbody had to say:
    Hi Karen -

There are a lot of good things in Green Vibrance... everything but the protein, flavors, and it lacks many of our unique superfoods.

It is simply is not true that it equates to Shakeology. We have other rare superfoods etc. and not just a combination of different protein powders and some green blends.

People can get all those things and certainly make it themselves if they want to and or add more of what they want and customize it. It all depends on what someone wants or needs indeed.

We do not list all the individual blend because that is our intellectual property and how we protect our R&D. We're not coming from the place of hiding something but by honoring the time the team spent creating the synergetic capacity of our product and not simply handing that over to copiers. More does not necessarily mean better especially when you are talking about hundreds of phyto-chemical and biological interactions. It is most important that the ingredients work in union. Shakeology is the sum of the individual parts working in unison. Shakeology IS a whole new superfood entity now delivering benefits that cannot be measured by just talking about all of what is in it.[ That is like saying your individual cells are the value of your body when all of your cells working together in harmony is what equals your living body.

We do list out the total of the blends. And since we don’t have any ‘filler’ or cheaper ingredients just to increase volume there is no ‘hiding’ necessary. Most people have no idea what the amount of an ingredient means anyway.

Also, what Shakeology is is we have done the gathering and proper blending for the customer.

A rare and real difference to 99.9% of the nutrition products out there is that virtually no other or a rare few can say where their ingredients are truly are coming from direct sources. We travel the world so we know by working directly with the countries of origin, the farmers, researchers, producers at the place where the superfood is grown and strive everyday to better our supply, growing conditions and better the life of the farmer. Most competitors cannot say they actually SEEN the fields, met the people and put their hands in the soil, watched how the food was processed and delivered in their product.

The bottom line to it all is how someone feels when they take it. That's the proof. And regardless of the formulation, if it doesn't make them feel/perform better, then perhaps the formula is not right for them.

I hope that helps add more color to what this product and our philosophy is about.

Carl

Your response should simply be, can you provide me any peer reviewed research showing that oral supplementation of any of the ingredients have been shown to work synergistically together in humans.

And you could ask him about this, the latest blog posting on Yacon (http://www.shakeology.com/web/shakeology/the-blog). The studies that were linked to had subjects consume Yacon syrup (not powder like ShakeO) in dosages ranging from .14-.29g per/kg of bodyweight in one study to 20g a day in another study, yet the entire prop blend that contains Yacon is only 1.15g. So if a person weighed 18lbs and the entire blend was Yacon, maybe it might be of some benefit. OR it's much more likely that it's severely underdosed.

Yacon syrup: beneficial effects on obesity and insulin resistance in humans. Clin Nutr. 2009 Apr;28(2):182-7. Epub 2009 Feb 28.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19254816
    "We used two doses of yacon syrup, 0.29 g and 0.14 g fructooligosaccharides/kg/day"

Effect of Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) on Colonic Transit Time in Healthy Volunteers
    Digestion 2008;78:30-33
    http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000155214

"in a dose of 20 g daily"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    give me another company that only uses natural and non-synthetic ingredients.

but then again, you don't mind ingesting chemicals. :)
    Lol, this is funny because the shake is actually processed. It's not grown on a tree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's about the quality of the ingredients in the shake/smoothy.
    If that's the case then why does Beach Body contract out the manufacturing to a 3rd party who gets their raw materials from China who DON'T have regulation on actual purity?
    If you're unaware, DSHEA doesn't require that supplements have to be shown as PURE. Contamination happens.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And really weight loss/gain is %100 about calories......

Very true. For weight loss calories out > calories in. Weight gain calories in > calories out. But the quality of those calories is still important. Every PT I know (be it a vegan PT or my hardcore Crossfit Paleo friends) have told me the same thing, "Quality of the calories is very important." If it wasn't then why would you be eating the Fage brand of Greek Yogurt? Why not Yoplait that is less expensive (at least here in my area)?
    Because most PT's are educated in broscience. Quality food helps more with calorie control for most people. It's not news that junk food is high in calories. But even the best athletes in the world will have some of it in their diets because to be eating nothing but quality food would require constant eating if their expenditures were 8,000 calories a day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    Options

so you think they shouldn't protect their intellectual property? i think that was actually a pretty decent response on Carl's part.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    If that's the case then why does Beach Body contract out the manufacturing to a 3rd party who gets their raw materials from China who DON'T have regulation on actual purity?
    If you're unaware, DSHEA doesn't require that supplements have to be shown as PURE. Contamination happens.

IDEA Fitness member

i don't disbelieve you, but source?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    to the OP, here have been my reactions to shakeology use, every day, for the last 6 months.

1) improved digestion
    2) improved energy
    3) i have not gotten sick ONCE, and if i feel that tickle coming on, I drink an extra shake, pop a zinc lozenge, and it passes. my immune system is friggin amazing

yes, i have also worked out consistently. yes, i have also overhauled the rest of my diet and don't do dairy and processed food, but I cant argue with the way I feel and how my body works right now.

I'm 26, I live in NYC, and I'm a waiter. I can barely afford to buy shakeology every month, but I do because I love how I feel. I was as skeptical as everyone else at first. Bought a bag, tried to make it last as long as possible by drinking it every few days, but eventually realized I'd benefit more if I drank it regularly. So I do, and I love it.

Feel free to bash all you want, but that's my honest to god experience.
    I don't use shakeology and feel the same way. I haven't been sick in 3 years and I eat junk food once a week. Of course anecdotes aren't real evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Acg67
    Options

so you think they shouldn't protect their intellectual property? i think that was actually a pretty decent response on Carl's part.

I liked the response to, he basically made a bunch of stuff up and then called his consumer base ignorant and gullible, which is what they are
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    to the OP, here have been my reactions to shakeology use, every day, for the last 6 months.

1) improved digestion
    2) improved energy
    3) i have not gotten sick ONCE, and if i feel that tickle coming on, I drink an extra shake, pop a zinc lozenge, and it passes. my immune system is friggin amazing

yes, i have also worked out consistently. yes, i have also overhauled the rest of my diet and don't do dairy and processed food, but I cant argue with the way I feel and how my body works right now.

I'm 26, I live in NYC, and I'm a waiter. I can barely afford to buy shakeology every month, but I do because I love how I feel. I was as skeptical as everyone else at first. Bought a bag, tried to make it last as long as possible by drinking it every few days, but eventually realized I'd benefit more if I drank it regularly. So I do, and I love it.

Feel free to bash all you want, but that's my honest to god experience.
    I don't use shakeology and feel the same way. I haven't been sick in 3 years and I eat junk food once a week. Of course anecdotes aren't real evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

true, doesn't mean that my experience didn't happen.

this is all silly because you can return the stuff for a full refund if you DON'T like it or it doesn't work, so why do people feel so vehemently about it? there's no risk for the consumer.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I liked the response to, he basically made a bunch of stuff up and then called his consumer base ignorant and gullible, which is what they are

what supplements do you take? can you tell me the difference in the effects on the human body when you take 500mg of creatine vs 1,000mg? scientifically speaking of course.
  • Acg67
    Options

what supplements do you take? can you tell me the difference in the effects on the human body when you take 500mg of creatine vs 1,000mg? scientifically speaking of course.

About nothing at those dosages, the benefits from creatine comes from muscle saturation, which roughly takes 5g/day for a month or 20g a day for a week. 500mg or 1g a day is laughable
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

i don't disbelieve you, but source?
    TEAM BEACH BODY

Where is Shakeology manufactured?

New York

Quality control on product?

Shakeology is manufactured in a facility that is registered with the FDA, adheres to current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and is GMP-Certified by the NSF (National Science Foundation) and the NPA (Natural Products Association).

Supplement Facts:

Quality of ingredients?

We've put every effort into making sure Shakeology's ingredients are the best of the best meaning that they don't contain pesticides, aren't destroyed in processing and are produced using the best of fair trade practices.

What is on the bag, bottle or tub supplement facts.

Chocolate Bag: http://shakeology.com/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=1d66051a-61fd-4199-841b-16d24dae4c7b&groupId=59860

Greenberry Bag: http://shakeology.com/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=ec8c9e06-5208-4177-8ed3-c43696462193&groupId=59860

Are some organic are some not?

We've put every effort into making sure Shakeology's ingredients don't contain pesticides, aren't destroyed in processing, are produced using the best of fair trade practices, and have many of the benefits of what is considered "organic." So you might ask, "Why isn't Shakeology 'certified organic'?" The experience of our development team has shown that sometimes certified organic doesn't necessarily translate to higher quality. Certifying something can simply jack up the price, especially with ingredients of this quality and quantity. So we decided to focus on making sure the quality and integrity of the product lives up to the promise, without asking you to pay the premium it would cost for us to say it with a stamp of approval from a certification lab.

Where can I find out this information?

If you have any more questions please visit our Shakeology FAQ boards @ http://faq.shakeology.com/. Here you will find an abundance of Shakeology information and in the case that you can't find exactly what you're looking for simply send an email to our customer support team from this venue as well. Another option is to voice your concern on our message board as you have done and we will assist you again.
    Also I'm well aware that when someone states, "we put in the every effort" that doesn't translate to "it's been done". This is why unless a coach is actually there to see the manufacturing process, they can't emphatically state that all the ingredients are high quality. For all you know, Beach Body contracted a 3rd party manufacturer (almost all supplement companies do) gave them a list on their prop blend, and trusts that it's processed that way. I'm sure they test it for taste, but can you say that it's been taken and tested by Beach Body from the manufacturer to ensure that the blend is proportioned out to specification and that the raw materials weren't contaminated? Haven't found any information verifying that they have done that.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jdooks
    Options

1) It works

Not hypothesizing at all. Unlike you, I'm asking a very simple yes or no question. Does shakeology have the dosing of the beneficial active ingredients at clinically proven minimum effective amounts. How is this hypothesizing? Simple yes or no question. What you are doing is simply assuming that it does, but BB in no way shape or form ever make these dosing claims and minimum effective dosing of clinically proven active ingredients is what is needed for these ingredients to make a single iota of a impact in the body. I don't need to know how much of each ingredient is in the proprietary blend, all I'm asking is if there the ingredients are at least provided in each serving at MINIMAL CLINICALLY PROVEN EFFECTIVE DOSES. SIMPLE AS THAT. Stop giving the run around and trying to say that so and so is just hypothesizing, I'm asking a very simple question, it's either yes or it's no. Simple as that.

Go ask the company, they will run around in circles but at the end of the day will not give you a yes or a no. Why? Because the real answer is no, it's all way underdosed for it to be effective but instead of saying now, they will just be illusive about it thus never answering the question in the first place, thus leaving "coaches" like yourself to make the claims for them which of course the company itself would NEVER be legally liable for since individuals are making the claims not the company themselves.

So again, how am I hypothesizing? I'm pointing out that for these claims of health benefits, one can not go by someone just saying "I feel better using it" without any scientific controlled study done on it to back up the claims. I mean, there's plenty of people out there that do not believe in the existence of dinosaurs, I'm obviously not going to be able to convince them that dinosaurs do exist and humans did not walk the planet in tandem with the dinosaurs but scientific findings show that dinosaurs do exist and existed long before humans inhabited the Earth.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    this is all silly because you can return the stuff for a full refund if you DON'T like it or it doesn't work, so why do people feel so vehemently about it? there's no risk for the consumer.
    Personally for me because I'm against MLM's and quick fix diets. There are some that do great by it, but for the majority of the general population, quick fix diets are temporary and the percentage of people who regain after getting off them is very high.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jdooks
    Options

Again, they will not be revealing any secrets AT ALL by answering the following VERY SIMPLE question:

Are the ingredients with the benefits claimed clinically studied and peer reviewed? If they are, are these active ingredients provided PER SERVING AT THE MINIMUM CLINICALLY PROVEN EFFECTIVE DOSES? I don't want to know the exact amounts, I just want to know if there are a MINIMUM CLINICALLY PROVEN EFFECTIVE DOSE of each active ingredients with some sort of health benefit claim attached to them. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE. No hypothesizing here, just a straight forward question. I don't care where they got the ingredients from, I don't care where it's being manufactured, I just want to know if the ingredients that have health benefit claims attached to them have been clinically studied, peer reviewed, and provided per serving at the MINIMUM CLINICALLY PROVEN EFFECTIVE DOSE.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    and you're assuming it doesnt, thus, your hypothesis. ;)

i assume it does based on the effective dosage of the majority of supplements. I know that's also just a hypothesis, but no worse than yours.
  • jdooks
    Options
    and you're assuming it doesnt, thus, your hypothesis. ;)

i assume it does based on the effective dosage of the majority of supplements. I know that's also just a hypothesis, but no worse than yours.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm just going by the fact that the company and the coaches have NEVER answered this simple question. So unless that question is answered, the product is basically as effective as spanish fly.