Tanning

Options

Replies

• JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I tan for maybe 3-4 days a week, for 20 min to an hour at a time in my back yard during spring, summer...
  • Christina2927
    Christina2927 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am a tan fan! I feel like its relaxing and I love how it makes my skin look and feel. I know about skin cancer and have seen what it can do. I work in an operating room and have done surgeries on people with skin cancer but it doesnt stop me. If I dont tan my skin breaks out really bad. I usually tan 1-2 times a week depending on my schedule and what bed I decide to use that week.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Love a caramel man don't need to know how you got the color :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like the look, but know it's not healthy.
    I watched my mother die of melanoma - and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I recommend a spray tan.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    I love the way it looks too but I'll tell you this....... I grew up with a girl who tanned all the time. I never or rarely did. We are now in our early 40's, I don't have any wrinkles and she looks like a Sharpei puppy. Sometimes I get a spray tan or use the self tanning lotion, but usually I just forgo it. :noway:
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a Florida bred beach girl. But am also naturally tan. I think tan looks good on some but others their natural skin tone. I think it depends on the person.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm an English girl so very pale naturally! In the summer I use Garnier's touch of sun body lotion (which is moisturiser with a tiny bit of self tanner) just so i don't look like a ghost :p
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. I followed the instructions given by the woman running the front desk and ended up with a pretty uncomfortable full-body sun burn. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    [/quote]

Tanning booths are for chicks bro
    Like mini coopers
    [/quote]

I rarely quote..............................but this guys first line is exactly what I was gonna say........................
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Tanning booths are for chicks bro
    Like mini coopers
    I rarely quote..............................but this guys first line is exactly what I was gonna say........................

When I gave it a try, it wasn't for the look. I was hoping it would help me produce more Vitamin D naturally and improve my mood and energy. It wasn't until later that I discovered tanning booths don't have enough of the right type of radiation to get your body to produce the vitamin.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I've had too many bad sunburns to risk it. I used to go tanning and I loved the golden look it gave me, but when it comes to a temporary color vs a lifetime risk of skin cancer, I prefer to keep my freckles as they are.
  • RiverManUK
    RiverManUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the cancer risk, tanning is ultimately just plain ugly.
    Everyone I know who has regularly tanned has skin that looks like hide, making them appear much older than they really are.
  • LethalBeauty
    Options
    nope, i dont like to tan. ive never been in a tanning bed, and ive sun tanned before but i dont really get any enjoyment out of it. i never wear sunscreen and have never gotten a sun burn before either. i have an olive skin tone anyway. so im not pale or anything. ive actually become pretty nocturnal, so im not even out during the day anymore :o
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    LOVE THE STUFF. But not to the point of being too dark at all, I like more of a 'glow'. I'm naturally really fair, so don't like to tan naturally or via sunbeds - I've been an avid sunscreen applier since age 7 to avoid wrinkles and skin cancer haha - Mama taught me from a young age ;) Ew and I can't think of anything worse than having leathery skin when I'm 50 so NO to the sun! x
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    <<< Recovering Tanorexic. -_-
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    I have been tanning for years. I love the feeling of not being a pasty white girl all the time, and my Dr even said that in the middle of a drabby winter, that the light therapy helps with your state of mind.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Not for me. A healthy amount of sunshine is nice.

Fake tan and salon tanning freaks me out.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/nj_tanning_mom_i_love_to_tan_b.html
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen, it was the norm for girls my age to tan in a bed 3-5 times a week. I never did because it was pointless with my skin. I don't tan, burn, or anything in between. Nothing. Pale is my lot in life.

That said, I have never ever seen a tan enthusiast who did not look at LEAST ten years older than their actual age after a few years. And they never seem to realize how bad they look. Those girls I went to high school with have god awful skin for only being 27-30. I mean truly tragic. Many have had to have biopsies already. Take a look at any unretouched photo of Britney Spears' chest...yikes.

Tanning is like smoking. You can tan if you enjoy it, but you can't lie to yourself about it being good for you.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I used to tan. I loved it. Unfortunately, its terrible so I no longer tan. I get a spray tan if I want a golden glow :)
  • Bella_Bea
    Bella_Bea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tan with lotion, I've used sunbeds before but got burnt...don't ask! Least with lotion your not doing too much damage and I would rather risk my tan running than cancer!

Oh, and I live in England so no real chance of any real sun!