Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It takes all kinds.. yes, I'd be leery of paying someone who didn't appear to be in the best shape to train me. But while I am training for health and strength, I would be lying if I said I'm not interesting in looking killer in a thong bikini. So if I were going to hire someone to help me do that, I'd either want to SEE that they had done so and knew the appropriate actions to take to get there, or I would want evidence that they had helped someone else to do so. Having said that, I don't trust skinny trainers any more than I would trust a chubby trainer, or ANY trainer until I have spoken in depth with them to assess their knowledge. Then again, I studied dietetics, and I have researched nutrition, physiology, and training methodology so I'm not quick to trust anyone telling me what to do. As far as a chubby nutritionist/dietitian- when I ws studying it in college, the dietetics major was full of morons and bimbos who could either "went on a diet once" and thought they were a genius for losing 5 lbs, wanted to make sure they were skinny the rest of their lives, or were looking for an MRS degree (yeah, go ahead and reem me for that but it's true- and no, they weren't ALL that way, just a LOT of them). I would be hard-pressed to turn to MOST of those women for advice or dietary couseling. But again, I'm well-versed in the subject and I'm a hard-headed b****.
  • RNTanya
    RNTanya Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know their journey.

I don't know if they have lost 100lbs to this point.

No, it doesn't bother me.

^ This.

I have a friend that has lost 140 lbs. with somewhere around 70 more to lose, and is currently working to become certified in either nutrition counseling or personal training, I can't remember which. But he is doing it because he understands what people at his original size are going through, and he can connect with them perhaps a little bit better than someone who has never been more than, say, 30 lbs. overweight in their life, for example.

I was just in a Zumba class a couple weeks ago where the teacher was short and chubby. I will admit that at first, I was questioning how the class was going to go (if it was going to be challenging enough). Within three minutes, I was already getting my butt kicked. The gym is a tricky place to judge books by their covers, so to speak.

Good point, if that trainer is still on their journey, then they can really motivate someone. When it comes to life experience in general, I'm more likely to listen to someone who has 'been there' AND is still working on it--they have some credibility and I'll cut them some slack.
    However, if you want to represent the finished product, lecture me on diet and exercise AND you look like Jabba the Hut was yo Momma, then I'm going to mentally dismiss any advice you have. I wouldn't take smoking cessation information from a Dr who smoked nor 'healthy diet' advice from a 300lb nutritionist (I work with one).
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    ... or would you go to a dentist that has bad teeth?
    Depends. How hot is she?
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Weight is not an indicator of health.

You can be heavier AND in better shape then people who weigh significantly less than you do.

Thinness and hardness are not an accurate measure of how healthy/active a person is.

I think it is important for nutritionists and personal trainers to be healthy and active, of course. But I've seen amazing fitness instructors who have "chubby" bodies, and I've seen hardbodied and skinny personal trainers who are completely useless at their job.

The problem is one of perception of health, and the way the (American) media portrays health.
    /rant

^ This!

Also, "chubby" is somewhat subjective. Fortunately we aren't all attracted to exactly the same thing. Even the fattest among us can find someone who loves us.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have my B.S. in Nutritional Science and have been overweight at times, especially in college. I am not overweight now. However, many of the ladies in my major in college either had an eating disorder, or were overweight. Very interesting to me.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Also, "chubby" is somewhat subjective. Fortunately we aren't all attracted to exactly the same thing. Even the fattest among us can find someone who loves us.
    Yeah, I already covered that in another post...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/776846-ok-boys-i-ve-proven-that-they-like-you
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    In a field with so many different trains of thought of what's right/wrong, what works/what doesn't, what's acceptable/or not I'd have a hard time following the advice of someone who didn't walk the walk. What would I have to base any level of trust that they knew what they were talking about on?

Now, agreed that a thin and apparently fit nutritionist could be eating everything under the sun and just be genetically blessed so in that case, my argument goes out the window.

I guess, for me, it boils down to something along the lines of in a field where the end game is based on visual aesthetics, it would be important that they practice what they preach if they want my business.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    There is a saying to go to the hair sylist with the worse hair cut. Why? Because she is the best. She more than likely cut all the others in the salon and had someone from the salon cut hers.

Think of all the doctors and nurses you see smoking outside a hospital. Shouldn't they know better? Practice what they teach etc?

We don't know where anyone else is on their journey. Yes, it is easy to judge and we all do it but life can be hard. If someone knew their stuff and was a little chubby, I'm ok with that. If the super in shape person knows their stuff, I'm ok with that too.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have always followed the rule...never trust a skinny cook or a fat dietician :)
  • Danardeener
    Options
    I would definitely have a problem taking advice from someone who did not look like they were fit and healthy. Same thing with a law professional...you at least want someone who looks like they know what they're doing.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    As mammals, our first impressions of a person fall into three basic categories...

- "Hey, you're attractive. I would like to propagate my genetic code with you and fondle your naughty bits..."
    ...or
    - "You scare and/or intimidate the *kitten* out of me. I need to flee, fight or pee in every corner of the room..."
    ...or
    - "Holy crap, WTF happened to your face? Did you mother breed with a wildebeest?" ...

- Or something in between all of the aforementioned.

Which leads me to my point... Is anyone bothered by "fitness-nutritionist-type-professionals" who clearly do not look the part?

Is it utterly ridiculous to have a "chubby" nutritionist or "flabby" personal trainer?

Or does it fall under the same notion that your heart surgeon doesn't need to have heart disease to be a good cardiologist?

Happy Monday.
    Keep being awesome.

LOL great categories!
    think the best measure would be before and afters of their clients if they can provide any.

I see these things as 'services' and thus as service providers I would want to see the results. Having a good rapport is also important. My last personal trainer was more concerned about checking his look in the mirror as opposed to helping me make sure my position was right. A little chubby is fine as long as they look 'healthy', can provide me with the supporting documents that I need before signing up and have some sort of track record.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I have always followed the rule...never trust a skinny cook or a fat dietician :)
    I have a similar rule: "Never follow a fat guy into the bathroom."
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me, it would depend on HOW chubby. I've seen some bigger women work out harder than their skinnier counterparts. If these chubby individuals are still working on their own bodies and have the adequate training and knowledge necessary to train me, I really wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think I'd be happy with a trainer who could show me their progress in pictures too. I think it would be really encouraging for them to show 'this was me and this is me now' to show that what they're promoting/selling/teaching actually works.

THIS. I'm still a fatty, but I'll gladly give my friends workout and/or nutritional advice if they ask for it. Maybe this nutritionist has made some recent lifestyle changes herself and is sharing her knowledge now. Conversely, there are many people who believe that you CAN be a bit "chubby" and still be healthy -- if she's eating well and exercising regularly, why should it matter what her body looks like?

Just my two cents...
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I lost over 100 pounds and became a certified personal trainer. I had a great clientelle and all was wonderful. I went through a nasty divorce, had to take in my ill mother, who has since passes away, and was diagnosed with an ailment which the medication for causes a slower metabolism and weight gain. I fell of the fitness/nutrition wagon due to my own personal hell. I gained back almost all of my weight and let my certificaion lapse. Does that mean that all of the knowledge that I gained through my training is gone? Does that make me a bad person? Not at all. However, I am smart enough to know that in the fitness and nutrition industry image is everything. I worked for one of the largest gyms in the NYC area and it's all about that first impression. It didn't matter what my before and after pictures looked like, nor did it matter where on my journey I was. But, it's ok. No one can take my knowledge from me, and no one can make me feel bad about myself without my permission. I am working on getting back to my "training" weight, and getting recertified.
  • Firefightergirl18
    Firefightergirl18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I generally agree. I doubt i would get my hair cut from someone who has frizzy messy hair. Doctors who smoke, a manicurest with dirty nails.

But who knows maybe she just had a baby
  • AMTaylor1980
    AMTaylor1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I concur with you for the most part. The one exception to this is perhaps someone who is a work in progress. When I was in college there was a female trainer at the gym who was EASILY 250 lbs. However, she was previously 400 lbs the year or so before and had a bulletin board in her office with her progress and her clients. I think it may be easier for someone new to the gym or morbidly obese to see someone who actually has been where they are. No one can claim she was just genetically blessed or unsympathetic. (Though from what I heard, she was the MOST ruthless trainer & nutrition counselor.)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It depends.

At first glance, I agree 100%.

Let's take it out of context. You're at a party, and you are introduced to someone, and you ask, "what do you do?" and, they reply, "I'm a trainer, (or nutritionist, or whatever)". And, they are very obviously over weight. In my eyes, I wouldn't think they know anything, and I would discredit them as being dumb. And, I would assume they got their certificate at John's garage gym. So, that's first impression.

On the other hand, let's say, after a little conversation, you learn that they took their team to 3 state college championships over the past 3 years. You further learn that in college they did all kind of awesome things, maybe even competed in the Olympics. At that point, my respect level starts to increase and I get the feeling that they are very athletic, driven, and they know their stuff.

Coaches or motivators, or people with knowledge don't have to look any certain way. The first time I met my moms oncologist, I thought WTF. The guy was huge, and seemed like he could barely walk. But, he was considered one of the best by many experts.

An actor can act whether fat or skinny, but we all prefer to look at skinny people in movies. It has no bearing on their performance at all. But, we, in general, prefer the skinny actors.

How do you think it would look if the biggest loser coaches were big fat guys, but they really knew their stuff? Would that work? I doubt it. The people on the show probably need someone to look up to and need those in shape coaches a s motivation.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was watching the news this morning, and the commentator did a featured segment on "nutrition." The newscaster interviewed a local nutritionist on the show as she discussed at-length "good, healthy lifestyle choices."

There's no nice way to put this, so I'll just throw it out there... she was chubby. Noticeably chubby. And, I'm not sure exactly why, but this phenomenon bothers me greatly, and has for a while.

Now, before my collective Haters light their own hair on fire and start banging away on their keyboard in retaliation, I'm not "anti-chubby." There are many, many heavyset people at my gym, and anyone who knows me, will affirm that I'm their biggest cheerleader... (though I do look a bit odd in a skirt and pigtails).

I'm also aware that there are many reasons someone may be heavy... So, before you derail the discussion by hopping up on an e-soapbox, championing the rights of the glandularly-challenged, save the effort and try not to exacerbate your ever-developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

That said, image is a part of everything we do. When you see someone for the first time, you don't bask in their inner beauty and depth, until AFTER you get to know them. As mammals, our first impressions of a person fall into three basic categories...

- "Hey, you're attractive. I would like to propagate my genetic code with you and fondle your naughty bits..."
    ...or
    - "You scare and/or intimidate the *kitten* out of me. I need to flee, fight or pee in every corner of the room..."
    ...or
    - "Holy crap, WTF happened to your face? Did you mother breed with a wildebeest?" ...

- Or something in between all of the aforementioned.

Which leads me to my point... Is anyone bothered by "fitness-nutritionist-type-professionals" who clearly do not look the part?

Is it utterly ridiculous to have a "chubby" nutritionist or "flabby" personal trainer?

Or does it fall under the same notion that your heart surgeon doesn't need to have heart disease to be a good cardiologist?

Happy Monday.
    Keep being awesome.

Okkkkk, where to start on this one LOL. Well, I have a MS degree in Nutrition/Dietetics and practice as a RD. Currently, I am working on weight loss from a baby and also post ACL repair (fun stuff). I will say as a nutrition profressional it does bother me that some ppl in the health profession do not "look" the part so to speak. I have coworkers that have the same education as me and teach ppl how to lose weight and get fit alllll day, that are obese themselves and have donuts in their desk drawer. Grrrr this is agitating. But I also know that no matter how much education on nutrition a person has, they have to be READY to change. With that being said, I would be embarrassed to tell someone how to lose weight if I could not live by example or back up what I say. Another thing that agitates me is ppl that portray themselves as a "nutritionist" or fitness trainer, etc. but have no formal education to back up what they are saying. Check my credentials ;). LOL. Anyhoo, agree on the look the part thing, but also agree to look at total pic, maybe they just had a baby, or something like that, too, ya know. Anyways, there's my 2 cents. Oh, and another thing, it's kinda like the doc that says "stop smoking" and they are the first out back take a cig break. IJS. Have a good day everyone :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is a big part of the reason I've put off getting any sort of fitness teaching certification. I have a little extra padding. Sure, I'm at a healthy weight, but I'm not fitness model. Even when I was working out six days a week and eating really well, I still had some extra padding.

Could I be an awesome personal trainer or group fitness instructor? Hell yeah. I love learning about health and nutrition, I'm motivating, positive, and enjoy helping and teaching people. But I know a lot of people won't want to take advice from me because I don't look like a fitness model. The reality is my body just naturally sits at a slightly higher weight than what is considered "ideal" by society.

I get that you want to be sure that your trainer can get you results, but judging it on their looks alone is unfair to them, not to mention a poor shopping skill. Why not do a free trial or a few classes to see how they work, or take a look at their other clients. Just looking at their body is only one facet of their experience.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Fit-looking people can give wrong information and unfit-looking people can give correct information.

However, there is a lot of conflicting information out there, most people are going to trust a person that looked the part.