hurricane sandy

Options

Replies

• rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Please stop fighting and turning this support thread into a stupid arguement about who has been through a bigger storm

Seriously? Who cares.

I live in the middle of Canada and I cant imagine prepping for a storm of this magnitude, never mind a level one hurricane. Ill take a blizzard any day...

I hope everyone is warm and safe and wish everyone good luck and best wishes as they ride out the storm. My thoughts will be with you all!!!

No one is arguing...
  • PeggyLynnR
    Options
    Live on the valley side of VA just changed our warnings to blizzard. Won't get out from my house for days when it snow like this.
    Well still have supplies from wind storm this summer and 4 days of no power. So water ,batteries,candles, large pot of soup, heater check.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I lived in FL my whole life, experience tropical storms, hurricanes, and whatnot yearly. I have some food in the fridge, food in the freezer, and gas in my car. It's a category one.. Some flooding, loss of electric, and down trees. I'm more pissed that my flight got cancelled because I've driven through worse. Not worried honestly.

A hurricane in the Northeast is NOT THE SAME as a hurricane in Florida. Not to mention, as I stated before, this is going to be three storm systems coming together. It isn't JUST a category 1 hurricane you have to worry about.

This is the attitude that scares me and makes me concerned there will be a lot more casualties of this storm than people realize.

This is like me saying if three feet of snow were predicted in Tallahassee tomorrow that it's "no big deal" because I lived through seven feet of snow in one storm in Buffalo once. Snow in Florida is not the same as snow in Buffalo. People would die here. It would be chaos.

And as far as it only being a level 1, that takes into account sustained wind speed, not gusts, not the potential for tornadoes and not the amount of possible rainfall.

My boyfriend grew up in West Palm Beach and has lived through several hurricanes of varying strengths and he doesn't think this storm is "no big deal."

Also, driving through rain and an airplane taking off or landing in a hurricane? Yeah ... not even comparable.

I've been weeks without power due to hurricanes in florida that were much stronger than this storm. I'm not afraid of it, it's a storm, rain, wind, and loss of power. I've experienced having severe flooding, power lines down, no water, and no electric for weeks at a time. A category 1 hurricane that is over cold water hitting the coast doesn't scare me... Sorry it just doesn't. I lived 10 minutes from the beach in FL and the streets you'd have to travel by canoe and inner tubes lol. I've been through every type of storm. Just because some people are scared and freaking out doesn't mean others have to as well. I know how to take care of myself, I'm not the least bit worried or concerned. And a plane taking off the day after the storm being gone with some winds 20-35mph and a flight being cancelled is a bit ridiculous.. My grandfather just passed, and if I wasn't able to get a ticket for Thurs, I would have driven down.

Darling, you're not in Florida anymore. And this is not JUST a category 1 hurricane. It's three storms meeting and creating a super storm.

I hope that you ARE OK, but I also hope you're taking this more seriously than you seem to be. Being without power for a while and having a flood are the least of the things that can happen with this. The buildings in the Northeast are built for snow storms, not hurricanes or tornadoes like they are down here. And the people meant to help clean things up after are not trained for the aftermath of a hurricane.

People didn't take Katrina seriously, either. Look what happened. People didn't take Ivan seriously. Look what happened. And both those storms hit hurricane prone areas.

I'm very used to snow, but I'd be extremely concerned if we got any significant snow here because the people who live here would be lost and that affects everyone, even those of us who are used to it.

I'm sorry about your grandfather, but the airlines make decisions to keep people safe. If they cancelled flights (costing them money), they did it for a reason.

I do appreciate your concern, I do.

I don't mean to come off as arrogant or an *kitten* in anyway. I just really look at things from a logical point of view. There's always one extreme over another. There are ways to get warm, but once you've hit severe dehydration and heat stroke and no way to get cool, I can't say that the circumstance doesn't equal a freezing night in it's own way. They are both opposite sides of the spectrum but both are equally as bad in their own way. It's easier to get warm than it is to get cool in 90 degree weather with severe humidity. It may be worse for the NE just due to the fact that many have never experienced hurricanes or storms like this in this part of the country. The fact that people are unprepared in terms of how to deal physically and emotionally with this type of thing would be much worse. I've seen people having panic attacks and crying over this.. My FL friends and family are keeping tabs making jokes about how it's just another trip around the block, we've been there done that. But it's like throwing a cat into a bath tub of water and a fish into a litterbox I suppose. If you've never experienced it of course you'll freak out.

If you have "been there done that", one would think that you would have a bit more sympathy and empathy for all of us experiencing this storm. Many homes will be ruined, not just in NJ, but in MANY states. Many will be without heat or water for at least a week or longer. Wages are being lost due to roads/businesses are closed. So stop making jokes about us and maybe start being a little nicer...karma can be a bite one hard....

As to your grandfather passing, my deeepest sympathies. it is really hard to lose a loved one and very frustrating to not being able to do what needs to get done for his farewell. Hopefully the storm will pass and flights will fly, but honestly you don't want to be flying in this weather, safety first. It is his memory that you carry with you that matters, not the ceremony.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Just north of Boston. Wind is really bad right now - I just heard something big come down a block away. One street is already closed off. Rain isn't heavy at this point, but who knows what's to come!

Both tubs are full. Mum managed to run to the store for milk (I'm surprised she actually GOT some!). I just wish she hadn't bought day-old pastries too. Got our candles, batteries, and extra blankets out. Everything in the cellar is at least two feet above the floor.

Whew. I think it's time I got off the computer and go hide in my bedroom. Even that might not be a good idea, as it's on the second floor.

I think I'm going to go sit and talk with my mother. That always makes me feel safe. :heart:

Bye everyone. See you all later. :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Oh absolutely, I agree with everything you said! It's unfortunately it hit an area that isn't used to this type of thing, unfortunately causing mass confusion and chaos. I do hope everyone is prepared and ready for it. I don't wish ill upon anyone. I hope that many are trying to relax and take it calmly, I see way too many people in this area going nuts freaking out about it. I am at least experienced in these types of storms and the general consequences of them, so I feel ready and able to adapt, as much as it will suck without power and such. I hope everyone has a safe experience with it.

as someone else asked, what would it be like in southern florida if you got hit with 3, 4, 5 feet of snow in 24 hours? how do you think those people (people like you) would react?
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Im in Ontario and we are getting the effects of it as of 30 mis ago, errrr
  • rachelfaith92
    Options

Oh absolutely, I agree with everything you said! It's unfortunately it hit an area that isn't used to this type of thing, unfortunately causing mass confusion and chaos. I do hope everyone is prepared and ready for it. I don't wish ill upon anyone. I hope that many are trying to relax and take it calmly, I see way too many people in this area going nuts freaking out about it. I am at least experienced in these types of storms and the general consequences of them, so I feel ready and able to adapt, as much as it will suck without power and such. I hope everyone has a safe experience with it.

as someone else asked, what would it be like in southern florida if you got hit with 3, 4, 5 feet of snow in 24 hours? how do you think those people (people like you) would react?

I'm being flamed for voicing an opinion.. Not once did I wish ill on anyone, so why trying to instigate an argument is beyond me.
    If I were hit with snow in FL I would bundle up, take the precautions and have my fire wood. I've been through snow storms here also so I've got the best of both worlds experience wise :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm being flamed for voicing an opinion.. Not once did I wish ill on anyone, so why trying to instigate an argument is beyond me.
    If I were hit with snow in FL I would bundle up, take the precautions and have my fire wood. I've been through snow storms here also so I've got the best of both worlds experience wise :)

the point is, Floridians would be freaking out exactly the same way folks in the northeast are. it's not weird to panic over something happening that you've never experienced and that has the capacity to cause billions of dollars in damage. it's awesome you're prepared and experienced, but that doesn't mean you need to trivialize the experience other folks are having. folks have every right to be nervous and scared.

and as for getting "flamed" - you're just getting a backlash against your posts that sound pretty arrogant and lacking empathy for those who might not be as fortunate as you.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow, just saw some photos of what Sandy has already done. Being from Louisiana, I sympathize with everyone on the East Coast. My prayers are with ya'll.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options

"Floridians would be freaking out exactly the same way folks in the northeast are."

I can't say I agree with that whatsoever. Floridians tend to joke and have a lax attitude about the whole thing since they have done it so many times. We always had "hurricane parties." I'm not being arrogant, I'm just hoping that people will ease down and not stress being as though someone who has been through this knows what its like and have no need to panic over. I apologize if I come off the wrong way. I will admit that people in this area are very inexperienced with this sort of thing, so I guess I overlooked that. I am hoping everyone stays safe and remains calm. That's all.

Tips;

If you have ice cream in your freezer eat that for breakfast first if the power goes out. If you've got a cooler put all your meats and dairy's in it. "If it's yellow let it mellow if it's brown flush it down."
    Hot dogs are great over an open fire, and smores are fun for the kids just the same. It IS possible to bake cookies on a cookie sheet on a bbq! Take all your baths and showers before the storm gets in the area. Make sure you've got tampons!
    Protein bars are great snacks with lots of calories if you can't cook for whatever reason. You can flush your toilet with a bucket of water. Make sure you've got your "hot feet/hands" packets to keep your hands/feet warm. Board games are ready and available.. And you have plenty of water for your pets also :)

Oh, and baby wipes are a blessing if you've lost water to bathe with :P
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I can't say I agree with that whatsoever. Floridians tend to joke and have a lax attitude about the whole thing since they have done it so many times. We always had "hurricane parties."

i meant they'd be freaking out if they were dealing with a massive blizzard like the ones WE'RE used to getting. PS people here are having hurricane parties too. :wink:
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is safe that lives out that way. I was just watching coverage on my break and there are scary things happening out there. 750,000+ people out of power already, complete flooding, insane wind. It's so weird to think about when I look out my windows and see sunlight and realize how lucky I am. Add into the fact that one of the storms colliding is supposed to drop snow..the next week is going to be chaos on the east coast and I feel for all the people out there.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    Well we lost a pine tree and power. Poor dogs are scared. How's everyone else holding up?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    4 story apartment building collapsed in the Chelsea neighborhood of NYC. Crazy...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My mom just told me that all major roads into/out of the city of Philadelphia have been shut down & all of the bridges over to Jersey are now closed...craziness!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I can't say I agree with that whatsoever. Floridians tend to joke and have a lax attitude about the whole thing since they have done it so many times. We always had "hurricane parties."

As a fellow Floridian, I get what they're saying, but it's clear they've entirely dismissed the part about the areas being hit by this storm being MUCH more metropolitan and lacking the infrastructure and building codes we have down here to deal with it.

Our house is virtually a bunker just by meeting minimum Miami-Dade county codes. My family in Maryland aren't quite so fortunate. They are not required to have the reinforced roof, windows, and doors, and they also have basements that flooded with 3+ feet of water after Irene came a few years ago. They also had entire roads washed out by a tropical depression that dumped 2+ feet of water last year. That stuff doesn't happen in Florida very often because of the way our cities are built and maintained.

Most of New England is not built to withstand these storms like we are here in Florida. They don't have the drainage canals in place to handle large-scale flooding from a large storm surge as well. It's just a fact. These people are going to be in much worse shape than your or I would be after this thing blows by.

Personally, I think it's in very poor taste to make fun of people for preparing for a storm like this, and it's irritating to me that a lot of my fellow Floridians feel like this is an appropriate response to make when people are going to lose their homes, lives, and everything they own.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options

As a fellow Floridian, I get what they're saying, but it's clear they've entirely dismissed the part about the areas being hit by this storm being MUCH more metropolitan and lacking the infrastructure and building codes we have down here to deal with it.

Our house is virtually a bunker just by meeting minimum Miami-Dade county codes. My family in Maryland aren't quite so fortunate. They are not required to have the reinforced roof, windows, and doors, and they also have basements that flooded with 3+ feet of water after Irene came a few years ago. They also had entire roads washed out by a tropical depression that dumped 2+ feet of water last year. That stuff doesn't happen in Florida very often because of the way our cities are built and maintained.

Most of New England is not built to withstand these storms like we are here in Florida. They don't have the drainage canals in place to handle large-scale flooding from a large storm surge as well. It's just a fact. These people are going to be in much worse shape than your or I would be after this thing blows by.

Personally, I think it's in very poor taste to make fun of people for preparing for a storm like this, and it's irritating to me that a lot of my fellow Floridians feel like this is an appropriate response to make when people are going to lose their homes, lives, and everything they own.

Sigh. I thought we were passed this. Not once did I make fun of anyone body, and if anyone felt that I did do that I apologized for how it may have come off.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Sigh. I thought we were passed this. Not once did I make fun of anyone body, and if anyone felt that I did do that I apologized for how it may have come off.

i'm over it. :wink:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

If you notice, I'm not attacking you or calling you out, but commenting on the portion you noted about Floridians making jokes about this. That's the part I find very disturbing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    .....waaaay TL. DR. but.....something about Floridians....???? We just live this a couple times a year. Minus the trees with leaves (palms) and the easy-flooding...(no rivers, heck, no water left - period.)

I feel your pain, NE. Good luck. Seek higher ground. Find board games. Don't light your BBQ indoors. That's my best.

Oh. Wait. I moved to the PNDub. Ignore.