Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options
Hi guys! So I'm 5'4 and 105 lbs... I know, I know, that sounds small but I have a naturally petite frame. I am not by any means fat but I do have a little extra that I'd like to get rid of. I'm a pre-professional ballerina so I'm pretty active/fit but I still like to go to the gym and tone/burn calories when I can. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories a day and I have a mainly vegan diet (I still eat seafood occasionally, mostly just tuna cans and salmon). I need food to keep me going through class but nothing has been working to shed weight no matter how well I eat. Do you think lowering my daily calorie intake would help? I know anything below 1200 is unsafe and with the amount of calories I'm burning, I want to stay healthy but would it be okay for me to eat around 1200-1300? Or do I need to just tone more? HELP?!?

Replies

• BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    meatloaf
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    I would focus on toning and working with what you already have. You don't need to lose weight, simply tone what you have and your healthy diet and exercise will do the rest.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    At 105 and 5' 4" where could you possibly have extra weight?
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Even with a small frame, at 5' 4'' and 105 pounds you can't have much weight to lose. You are already a little bit underweight by BMI standards. It simply may not be possible to get any smaller, at least not in a healthy way.
  • sarymerejo
    sarymerejo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You need a reality check...if you calculate your BMI based on your weight and height you are currently underweight. Normal weight range for someone your height is 117 to 146 pounds.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would focus on toning and working with what you already have. You don't need to lose weight, simply tone what you have and your healthy diet and exercise will do the rest.

This times a million.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I dont have an answer for you, but i looked at your profile pic and i think you are absolutely drop dead gorgeous
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good god...
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just have a high bodyfat percentage. I have a small frame, I'm shorter than you and I was underweight at 105. So, go into weight training instead to "tone." All my pudge is gone because of weight training. So stop losing weight, I promise that's not what you need to do to get the look you're going for. You can also eat around 1800 calories since you're active, and the days you are more active.... you can actually go even higher. Hope I helped some.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'd not lower your intake. You're a dancer and need those calls to keep up your strength. I don't know you, I don't know your health history, but if you think there's a "bit of a spare tire" there (which, I'm not going to lie, I don't think is as present as you think), I'd really talk to your doctor or a nutritionist to perhaps switch up your macros or your food. You need to be careful as not getting the right level of energy in your body can hurt you, especially as an active dancer.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, focus less on the scale weight and more on the way you look in the mirror.

As a dancer I am sure there is a lot of pressure to stay stick thin (I think of Black Swan) so I'm not sure is this advice is going to fall to deaf ears but being under 1200 calories a day plus dancing x amount of hours a day is a recipe for an eating disorder. I am also 5'4" and was hovering around 100 pounds a few years ago due to a stressful time in my life and looking back at those pics now I looked emaciated and awful. I chose to get healthy and focus more on weight training and eating healthy and I am much happier with the way I look and feel now.

I hope you can find a happy balance! Good luck!
  • daryabella
    Options
    You need a reality check...if you calculate your BMI based on your weight and height you are currently underweight. Normal weight range for someone your height is 117 to 146 pounds.

BMI is definitely not accurate... I am totally healthy, trust me.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just have a high bodyfat percentage.
    :huh:
  • daryabella
    Options
    I agree with the others, focus less on the scale weight and more on the way you look in the mirror.

As a dancer I am sure there is a lot of pressure to stay stick thin (I think of Black Swan) so I'm not sure is this advice is going to fall to deaf ears but being under 1200 calories a day plus dancing x amount of hours a day is a recipe for an eating disorder. I am also 5'4" and was hovering around 100 pounds a few years ago due to a stressful time in my life and looking back at those pics now I looked emaciated and awful. I chose to get healthy and focus more on weight training and eating healthy and I am much happier with the way I look and feel now.

I hope you can find a happy balance! Good luck!

I totally appreciate constructive advice so thank you!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Decreasing your calories could be very dangerous. I would not do that. If you really feel the need to 'tone' up, use the weight machines at the gym, or start doing some basic bodyweight exercises.
    I'm baffled though, I used to dance, and was in the best shape of my life during that time. So, I'm sure you are just perfect. :)
  • daryabella
    Options
    Sounds like you just have a high bodyfat percentage. I have a small frame, I'm shorter than you and I was underweight at 105. So, go into weight training instead to "tone." All my pudge is gone because of weight training. So stop losing weight, I promise that's not what you need to do to get the look you're going for. You can also eat around 1800 calories since you're active, and the days you are more active.... you can actually go even higher. Hope I helped some.

This helped a lot! Thanks!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I'm in agreement with the above - you may feel like you have some extra weight but you likely do not. I think you might want to focus on strength training - toning - and you will achieve a body with which you are satisfied. Best of luck.
  • daryabella
    Options

I'm in agreement with the above - you may feel like you have some extra weight but you likely do not. I think you might want to focus on strength training - toning - and you will achieve a body with which you are satisfied. Best of luck.

Most of this feedback seems geared towards toning (which I totally agree with- I eat completely healthy so I doubt that's the problem). I'll take your advice and hit the gym with some strength training! Thank you, thank you, thank you
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    And you are very beautiful ... Hope you realize that.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" and 113 pounds...and the doctor told me no more losing weight!! I am 4 pounds from being under weight....I would think you must be under at 105