Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options

Replies

• daryabella
    Options
    yep that's misty :smile:

i might be able to have the body but i'll never have that toe point :laugh:

God, she has the most amazing body ever, I am infinitely jealous if you're able to look like that haha. Good for you!
    And I stick my feet under my coach praying that I can get her arches
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    She has awesome, strong legs and glutes that help her perform better and reduce risk of serious injury. Love her physique.

33ku7mh.jpg
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Whoa, her knee bends backwards. Crazy!
  • daryabella
    Options

Hyperextension! It's actually unhealthy and can lead to injury but I think it looks so good on a dancer.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You should try staying within your macros for a few weeks and see what that does. Also, be aware that lifting weights could cause you to gain some weight. That's basically the goal - increase lean body mass. You may lose fat too, but the scale could go up.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    5'4": 105 pounds... do you even menstruate? And is that your clavicle in your picture? Because you shouldn't be able to see that. You need to gain weight.

Clavicle aka 'collar bone'? As this is commonly showing on women who are at normal weights, not just underweight women.

To add- mine is once again re-emerging and I'm 5'3" and 146 lbs and by BMI standards I am still overweight.

Mine was emerging in this photo << 5'4 and 180lbs?
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You're drop dead gorgeous. I definitely wouldn't cut your calories with your active lifestyle. Your body needs fuel so you remain healthy and active.

I strongly suggest two things (sorry to repeat):

1 - Eat more seafood, especially the tuna and salmon you already include in your diet. These are great protein sources. If you are willing to add other similar items to mix it up a bit, all the better (white fish, steamed shrimp, scallops, etc.)

2 - Lift heavy. Women who lift look fantastic. It will also help you improve your overall health. And probably give you more lift and control for ballet. Win-win-win....

Completely disagree that you're too thin. So long as you're healthy and active, you're fine. There is nothing wrong with being a bit under what is considered average, nor is there anything wrong with being slightly over. They key is how you feel, your overall health. Which is why I would definitely not cut your calorie intake at all.

In any case, hope to see you dancing on stage somewhere in Europe, soon. I visited the Bolshoi regularly when I was traveling to Moscow. Quite an experience. I do catch a performance in Prague or Berlin, but not as often as I like. Good luck!

--P
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to weight under 100 pounds for your profession or is it to lose the last bit of love handles? I'm assuming it's the love handles. Since you are already at a low body fat range, your best option is to do exercises that will tone or build some muscles in the area that you are looking to change. You should see results in as little as two weeks since you are at a very low body fat percentage. You really don't need to lift a lot of weights to see results fast since you have a low body fat. If that doesn't work, you can try intermittent fasting. Instead of eating 3 meals a day, you eat all your calories in one meal. Again, you should see results quick with this since you are at a low body fat range. Don't add or decrease calories to your diet until you've tried the options that I've laid out for you because adding calories could result in some unnecessary weight gain that would require you to spend a whole week losing and cutting calories might not give you enough energy to do your dances.

Also, don't listen to the haters that are trying to get you to eat more and making fun of your weight. You will run across a lot of haters in life that will try to drag you down and make you lose sight of your goals by calling you names and making fun of you. Most of them are just jealous and will never have your figure or be a professional dancer. I've checked your diary and you are perfectly healthy. You eat right.
  • oosaah
    oosaah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    5'4": 105 pounds... do you even menstruate? And is that your clavicle in your picture? Because you shouldn't be able to see that. You need to gain weight.

Clavicle aka 'collar bone'? As this is commonly showing on women who are at normal weights, not just underweight women.

To add- mine is once again re-emerging and I'm 5'3" and 146 lbs and by BMI standards I am still overweight.

Agreed. What the heck? I'm 5'6" and 132 lbs (no where NEAR underweight), and I think my clavicle is sexy. I thought it was perfectly normal to have a collarbone. Or are we tearing down that body part now too? There's a hell of a lot of skinny shaming going on here when the OP just wanted a bit of straight advice.

25g86c1.jpg
  • oosaah
    oosaah Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Hyperextension! It's actually unhealthy and can lead to injury but I think it looks so good on a dancer.

I hate my hyperextended limbs! I've only been dancing for the past few months and it makes it so difficult to find the right lines in my body. Plus everyone else just thinks it's creepy when my ankles bend too far forward :/ Haha. I'm trying to join the dance world so that I can appear more "normal".
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

Dumbest single quote in the thread. Clavicles show at normal and evenness overweight.

And ignore the infiniquote guy. Obviously some overweight people lie to themselves about the size of bones AND people have different bodies and differences in the shape and lengths of bones.

All the good advice has been given. Op you impress me with your graceful responses. This thread is done though. They're just working out their own demons and arguing amongst themselves.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Dumbest single quote in the thread. Clavicles show at normal and evenness overweight.

And ignore the infiniquote guy. Obviously some overweight people lie to themselves about the size of bones AND people have different bodies and differences in the shape and lengths of bones.

All the good advice has been given. Op you impress me with your graceful responses. This thread is done though. They're just working out their own demons and arguing amongst themselves.
    This is why we are friends.
    OP you have handled the insults with grace!
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What you need is not to lose weight anymore, but to build on muscles (muscles burn fat as what Chalene always says =P) and you can do that through strength training. Don't worry it won't bulk you, and it would definitely help with boosting your energy especially with your busy lifestyle!

I used to dance competitively in my teenage days, and my group and I always had a day dedicated to the gym followed by a 1.6m run. I hated it then..boy I wished I had known more about its benefits. Oh wells.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I hate my hyperextended limbs! I've only been dancing for the past few months and it makes it so difficult to find the right lines in my body. Plus everyone else just thinks it's creepy when my ankles bend too far forward :/ Haha. I'm trying to join the dance world so that I can appear more "normal".
    Make sure you adequately increase lean body mass in the way of muscle and connective tissue if you have an uncanny degree of flexibility.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would focus on toning and working with what you already have. You don't need to lose weight, simply tone what you have and your healthy diet and exercise will do the rest.

I'm in agreement with the above - you may feel like you have some extra weight but you likely do not. I think you might want to focus on strength training - toning - and you will achieve a body with which you are satisfied. Best of luck.

Most of this feedback seems geared towards toning (which I totally agree with- I eat completely healthy so I doubt that's the problem). I'll take your advice and hit the gym with some strength training! Thank you, thank you, thank you

As a dancer, I am sure you heard of pilates. If not, try that. Pilates will work, if you don't want to lift weights. this will fit into your workout routine. When I trained in modern dance in college, our instructor would have us do mat pilates the first 20 minutes of each session. it worked wonders for me back then.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    sorry to be harsh... but I see here the classic ballerina syndrome..... to be thin thin.... and emaciated is better!
    I would recommend pizza and a psycho therapist .... :indifferent:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Edited to remove snark....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You need a reality check...if you calculate your BMI based on your weight and height you are currently underweight. Normal weight range for someone your height is 117 to 146 pounds.

^^^This. There is no extra weight. I know as a ballerina there is a push to be 'too thin to the point of anorexic'. Don't get sucked into that mentality by telling yourself you have a 'tiny frame'. You're thin. Period. There's no need to lose weight.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I want to stay healthy but would it be okay for me to eat around 1200-1300? Or do I need to just tone more? HELP?!?

Eating at a lower calorie intake will be counter productive for your goals, especially given your current weight, leaness and activity level.

You need to up your calorie intake to somewhere in the region of 1,600 - 1,700 calories per day as a starting point (which already factors in exercise) and introduce a couple of shortish strength training sessions into your routine. Ensure sufficient protein levels, allow sufficient rest and you should be golden after 3-6 months.

Ideally, you would be better off adding some muscle and fat to your frame by eating at a surplus before then cutting body fat back down but it doesn't seem like that would be a good fit for you psychologically.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    God, she has the most amazing body ever, I am infinitely jealous if you're able to look like that haha.
    That amazing athletic physique is impossible eating as little as you do.