Happiness is a Myth

Options

Replies

• unJunk
    unJunk Posts: 29
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Happiness-Daniel-Gilbert/dp/1400077427 I really like this book. It's about our perception of happiness. Really great read, even if it's mostly psychology and doesn't teach you at all how to be happy.

Teach you how to be happy. LOL see this is a perfect example. Happiness isnt a choice something you have done is making you happy and sooner or later that will dissolve. Sure you can keep doing those little things over and over again but our life becomes this endless pusuit of happiness
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Lots of little things can make you happy if you let them. :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    oh and please dont call me a miserable cow because I don't think like you.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP, this is called depressive realism! The secret is to find meaningless, bullsh!t ways to pretend otherwise, and to block the truth from your mind, (eating cookies, not eating cookies, sex, drugs, religion, video games, football.) There's no reason not to eat the cookie, unless you find that you will get more enjoyment from something else (later) if you don't eat the cookie (now.)

Also, when this stops being fun, or rather, when the pain outweighs the pleasures to be had, it's okay to just quit.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I have Happiness and Joy in the Lord. Without him, nothing would fulfill me. The joy he gives me, bleeds into other parts of my life. Perhaps you are seeking happiness from the wrong things?!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    What a crock! My doctor gives me lots of pills to make me Happy. Sure, I have to deal with a little anal leakage, but it's totally worth it.

pennywise+%282%29.jpg
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    Wow, who licked the red off yer candy?
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Being Happy is a myth...Its an illusion to what we all are trying to attain. In everything we do in our daily lives its this deluded concept that what we are doing can somehow make us happy. We go to our jobs to slave away and earn a few dollars to buy stuff. We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

The cake is also a lie...
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Happiness is not a myth. It's a choice.

If you are a miserable douche, it's usually because you wann to be.
    Which will lead to choices that will make your life miserable.

^^^This... omg all day long this!! lol
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Finding joy and happiness within yourself, and not relying on external things to bring you joy, is the key to happiness which isn't fleeting.

And it makes those fleeting moments that much more satisfying.

Everyone has a baseline of happiness. If yours pretty much says life is a turd, then it will be so. On the other hand, if it's all gummy bears and unicorns, then yay.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Unless you change your attitude on life, no worries, it'll be short lived.

I am happy a good part of the time except winter.
    While some months may be a little more stressful, I am happy looking forward to the events in my life.

I am happy on Sundays because Sunday night I spend 2 hours with some close friends.
    I am happy on Monday because my kids go back to school.

I am happy mid-sept through dec. 16th. Sure, It's stressful for me to plan Thankgiving dinner (this year for 2) But making my husband happy and satisfied makes me happy.

Cooking a complicated menu for all my friends makes me happy because they will be happy and we will spend time together.

December is such a busy month, it's booked in January.
    It's stressful traveling to another state for back to back parties having a reputation I have to live up to. But it makes me happy that someone cares enough to want me at these parties that they buy me a ticket and make my favorite shots. You break up a fight and no one talks about the person who started it..NO! Thay talk about the person who got punched in the head! WTF! I am that "welcoming committee of 1" for all the spouses coming to the party.

I have my daughter's birthday and planning her gifts and party is a happy moment because I know she will smile.
    Then it's my husband's birthday and another Christmas party and my birthday.
    Then Christmas and my house is decorated so beautiful by me, and just sitting in my living room with the lights out except the tree makes me so happy. The gift choosing is stressful but it makes me happy.

Come January I don't drink for 6 weeks and my body is happy!
    After V'day, I start planning our anniversary and then my other daughter's birthday. Then! JAMAICA planning baby!!

Be happy looking forward to those "moments" be happy looking forward to that chocolate chip cookie, the events you plan your life around. Time you spend with important people in your life.

If you don't, your stress level will always be through the roof, your body will be affected and your life will be cut short.
    You are choosing to be unhappy.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Create your OWN happiness!!!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    it's not, i can't be happier. I am so thankful for everything and everyone i have been blessed with <3
  • OnionGirl7
    Options
    Happiness is not a myth. It's a choice.

If you are a miserable douche, it's usually because you wann to be.
    Which will lead to choices that will make your life miserable.

Well Said :)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    but our life becomes this endless pursuit of happiness

...or we can find moments of happiness in each day. :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I personally believe we can create our own happiness ourselves instead of relying on other people or material things to give it to us.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Frame of mind is a choice. How you approach a problem, or an obstacle, or a challenge, is a choice. You can choose to grovel in the dirt and rub the chicken grease all over yourself and whine or you can choose not to do so and choose a different path.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I'm f-ing happy as hell today and every day for that matter!!! Life is what you make it, I choose to be awesome and happy:)

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.........
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The happiest people don't have it all, they just make the best of what they've got.

:smile: Cheer up buttercup!
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Beer provides hours of bliss.

Fact.

More proof

Higher proof = longer bliss.

^^^^^
    THIS!!!!!