Happiness is a Myth

Options

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Being Happy is a myth...Its an illusion to what we all are trying to attain. In everything we do in our daily lives its this deluded concept that what we are doing can somehow make us happy. We go to our jobs to slave away and earn a few dollars to buy stuff. We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

The cake is also a lie...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnQNLrMdtrK40VQW--482PvqEI_G8Dha3OG0OXcJuq8L_UAwVP

♥!!! A woman after my own heart right there!

"At this rate, we're going to run out of cake!"
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    “I see in the fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.”
    <3
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I get where the OP is coming from. While I don't believe happiness is a myth, I am fighting a constant battle with futility. Sometimes it overwhelms me, but I never let it win. It's always there though, in the back of my mind.

I really believe the secret is not to fight it, but to embrace it. Don't resist the futility; trying to give sufficient meaning to everything will crush you. Accept that no thing has a purpose, a meaning, a reason, save what purpose, meaning, and reason you give it, and you will be free. (Don't forget that if you ascribe any value to your fellow humans, you must take into consideration the values they ascribe to things. Likewise, don't forget that if you ascribe no value to your fellow humans, they may ascribe none to you, which can be... messy.)

There is no meaning and no observer. In this, I find freedom, and the space in which to be happy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for you if thats what you beleive. I am extrememly happy everyday of my life.

Unless you are on heavy medication, I find this impossible to believe.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for you if thats what you beleive. I am extrememly happy everyday of my life.

Unless you are on heavy medication, I find this impossible to believe.

I can see we need to up the dosage
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Being Happy is a myth...Its an illusion to what we all are trying to attain. In everything we do in our daily lives its this deluded concept that what we are doing can somehow make us happy. We go to our jobs to slave away and earn a few dollars to buy stuff. We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

your_opinion.jpg
  • getoal
    getoal Posts: 8
    Options
    I've had 63 year of happiness. Oh ya some bad days but most good to very good. You make a choice. Mine is to always look on the happy side.
  • 2012GBFAN
    2012GBFAN Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you choose to believe that ...............your life sucks lol

I choose to be happy even with the bumps in the road !!! Sometimes it's the bumps that make you a better person
    [/quote

YES THIS! Our reaction to circumstances is our choice! I choose to be happy!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Some people have not experienced a happy life. Therefore, for them, happiness does not exist. It's just not part of their world view and they can't relate to those who have it.

Also, just to be clear, happiness is an emotion; Hercules is a myth.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Lloyd Dobler: Why can't you be in a good mood? How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood once in a while?"
    Constance: Gee, it's easy.

DIANE: I have this theory of convergence, that good things always happen with bad things. I know you have to deal with them at the same time, but I just dont know why they have to happen at the same time. I just wish I could work out some schedule. Am I just babbling? Do you know what I mean?

If you were happy every day of your life you wouldn't be a human being, you'd be a game show host.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnQNLrMdtrK40VQW--482PvqEI_G8Dha3OG0OXcJuq8L_UAwVP

So my choice is 'or death'?...I'll have the chicken then please
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I dno...sex makes me pretty happy...

:laugh:
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I dno...sex makes me pretty happy...

:laugh:

I hear that and right after a little nap it's like a reward for being happy
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

I've read this a few times in a hope you were making some tangential wise point in-between the lines but I fear not. If a cookie or a cigarette gives you a high - your happiness is indeed a myth.

The conundrum is that in order to see why that way of thinking is so ridiculous you have to be happy.

Life is about family, friends and hundreds of little pleasurable events. Not constantly trying to be something or someone else
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options

THIS
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

I've read this a few times in a hope you were making some tangential wise point in-between the lines but I fear not. If a cookie or a cigarette gives you a high - your happiness is indeed a myth.

The conundrum is that in order to see why that way of thinking is so ridiculous you have to be happy.

Life is about family, friends and hundreds of little pleasurable events. Not constantly trying to be something or someone else

Exactly. Good for you.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    A thing might make us happy, but it's fleeting. We are wired to grow accustomed to the thing, and it stops giving us happiness, and instead becomes neutral. So we must find a new thing to make us happy. This is why happiness is a journey, not a destination. To maintain happiness, you must be constantly searching a fresh new thing. And ultimately, this is why happiness is fleeting.

Still, the journey can be satisfying if you let it be.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Happiness is not a myth. It's a choice.

THIS ^^^^^
  • unJunk
    unJunk Posts: 29
    Options
    thank you for your responses