38lbs down. No one has noticed.

Options

Replies

• Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the whole "boyfriend doesn't notice my weight loss" too. I've lost about 25 lbs total. I console myself with maybe he also won't notice if I gain a few.
  • Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have lost 83 but because I really want to be all the way to be my goal, often I don't see any changes. But you said the magic word-you have dropped 3 sizes. That is a fact, not a lie. You are doing great. Try on those new clothes and feel good about your progress. Go shopping just to try on stuff for fun. Keep a notebook in your purse and jot down every little positive thing that happens to you each day-especially those things related to you getting healthier . Just go for it.
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I want to believe that it is the "when people see you everyday they can not see the difference" thing. But I sometimes feel like if they are people that also need to lose weight or were happy with you being the "fat" one so that they felt better about themselves, they will NEVER compliment you. I have not lost a great deal.....17 lbs. But I have toned up and I can see my body has changed. I wear clothes that I could not wear before. My family ALL see it. My "friends"....not a peep!!!! hmmmm....makes you wonder????
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You have to do it for yourself, not for anyone else. Trust the data and keep going. If you get a compliment, great! If not, don't let that stop you. Who knows why people aren't speaking up? My family acts resentful, like I'm doing this to annoy them. Oh, well! I smile when I look in the mirror and am enjoying being fit. I do not care what they think.
  • werdnap2000
    werdnap2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome work - losing 38lbs is a really hard thing to do so well done. Perhaps focus on how you are feeling as opposed to how you percieve that you are looking are what you "think" other people imagine you look. I would also think you'd have more energy now that you are not having to walk around with that additional 38lbs so I'm sure you could find a few positives.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's probably what the others have already mentioned - you just don't see the difference from day to day :) Also, it might be better to consider percentage weight loss than actual weight loss. A small weight loss on a petite person is definitely going to show quicker than a small weight loss on a bigger person.

38lbs is a huge achievement though, so don't let people get you down! You've done well :D
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I still have days where I look in the mirror and don't notice that I've lost anything. . . those aren't super awesome days. As for other people; I think I lost about 70lbs before people outside my immediate support group said anything.

It takes time but it'll happen and you'll pretty much feel like you're walking on clouds when it does. :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Did you take b4 pics? There absolutely has to be a difference. That's a lotta weight loss...your body is loving that!
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It JUST happened for me on Sunday. I've had a few people ask if I have lost weight but I wanted someone, anyone, to notice with an exclamation point. Wow! You've lost weight! I was 36% of my weight gone, 2 sizes smaller and 46.5 pounds lost before I got it. I might not get it again but it sure did feel good!

Hang in there keep working on you and it will happen.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    people don't make comments for various reasons, clothes don't make comments because they cant, but their labels never lie
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I went from 165 to 150 while living with my parents. They didn't even notice that I was eating less! Or that I had lost any weight! I think it takes a drastic change for people to notice, unless they really pay attention. But many people are really wrapped up in their own bodies and they don't notice.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I read this on MFP.
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice.
    It takes 8 weeks for your family to notice.
    It takes 12 weeks for the world to notice.
    I think these are close to right. But as always YMMV.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Have you bought new clothes yet?

I agree- its usully this that makes people notice
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    People don't usually say anything unless you mention it first, they don't want to admit that they noticed you were overweight in the first place. So I suspect that you do look different, they are just trying to be polite.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    People are egocentric and they are too busy looking at themselves half the time. Furthermore, some people are just haterz and they don't want to acknowledge it in you because then they feel bad about themselves and their lack of effort or progress. Your body is changing, regardless if anyone "notices" - it takes time. One day you are gonna wake up, look in the mirror, and go "WHOA! PEEP THAT NEW COLLARBONE!" or "DAYUMMMM, MY *kitten* IS LOOKING NIIIIICE." The important thing is not to throw in the towel. You got this.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are who cares? :flowerforyou: You are doing this for YOU not THEM! One day you are going to walk in there like BAM! and they are all going to be like WTF! On that day (if I were you) I would just raise an eyebrow at them and say "what?"

On a side note, it wasn't until I had lost about 80 pounds before someone noticed. Now I hear people pretty much every other day say things to me like "you are looking really good" and "have you lost weight"... maybe a couple pounds. :laugh: :laugh:

^^^^ This is awesome!!^^^^
  • Chopper88
    Options
    I agree they probably don't know what to say afraid they will hurt your feelings that you were "fat" before. Just keep pushing and they will come around. And remember it's not about them, it's about you and your health. As long as you are getting results and getting healthier than anything else is just icing.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a kind of "tipping point" at which it suddenly becomes obvious, and at which point people will start remarking on it. It'll come. Three sizes down is stellar, keep going!
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't think for a second that no one has noticed!!! You have lost 38 lbs!! that is great!!! imagine almost 4 ten lb sacks of potatoes!!! that is an incredible loss.
    The reason no one has said anything is weight is a very touchy subject for some people...and its an embarrassing subject for others. People are noticing they just might not know how to approach you or what to say...keep up the great work! and know that its YOU that needs to notice...that's all....