What is the nicest thing you've done for anyone?

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    gave my younger sister $10K so she'd have a down payment for a house. gave my older sister $6K for various things over the past few years. i don't even get so much as a birthday or Christmas card from either of them to this day. not even an e-mail wishing me happy birthday. they're family though, so whatcha gonna do?
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I organized a birthday party for my Mom's 80th birthday. She'd never had a birthday party before and she was thrilled beyond words.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy doing small acts of kindness for people, so I like to think I have a pretty good list.

Last week a family friend was in an accident, she is in the hospital with a broken spine, wrists and ankles. Her husband has had to travel across the country to be with her. My sister and I have taken responsibility for their kids (ages 1 & 3) in the meantime.
    We're setting up daycare for them, planning a benefit fundraiser, and have their house spotless.

I'm not going to lie- We are far from perfect with kids, but it's going to be a long recovery and we'll likely be keeping them for a few months. Their parents are low-income and stretched pretty far as is, so we do intend to pay for daycare, food, clothes and everything else ourselves. So far so good!
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For my college roomate who I treated like a sister.
    I told ER staff at our local hospital that my roomate was my sister.
    See...she had just found out the baby she was about to deliver at full term had died in utero. ER staff told us only family could accompany her up to the labor and delivery floor. Her family lived more then six hours away. The father was not in the picture. I accompanied her through out the birth of her beautiful baby girl. Deceased or not...she was precious...like a sleeping angel.
    Otherwise she would have had to deliver her baby alone.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great thread! Everyone's stories are so amazing.

I like to think I've done a lot of nice little things over the years--I've volunteered at food banks, donated money to charities, given friends rides when I could, paid for someone else's order at Starbucks, given a homeless guy food, etc.

But probably the most meaningful thing I've done is volunteer every December (this will be my 3rd year and the 4th anniversary for the event) for a photography event called Help-Portrait. It's a non profit organization that one day every year takes family portraits for people who are in shelters or associated with various social service agencies...they get to get their hair and makeup done, can borrow a dress shirt or blouse if necessary, also get a free meal and the kids get a visit and photos with Santa and get some toys. Both years that I've participated I've had someone come up to me and tell me how much it means to them to have a photo to send to a parent or grandchild...or just to have someone brush their hair or make them look "spruced up." It means so much to them to feel cared about.

a good portrait certainly isn't a basic necessity of life, like food, clothes, or shelter...but it is definitely a way to make people feel good about themselves.

Anyway...this thread made me really happy. You're all awesome.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    OMG...these are absolutely the best things to come home to! They brought tears of sorrow and joy. I love each and everyone of these. You all are awesome people. Thank you so much for sharing these, keep it up.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I try to do nice things as much as possible, but I'd say paying for a year of my Niece's gymnastics when her dirt-bag father left her family was pretty nice... felt good to do it that's for sure...
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    I bought an ex an $80 dollar knife as a surprise and in return I got one of those chain things out of those toy vendors. I used to get my grandmother flowers & her favorite chocolates a lot. I am just a nice person which isn't always good.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I've never told my mother what an *kitten* she is.
    I've never told my father how much I hated him (not anymore).
    I've never told my brother he's a freaking loser who needs to grow the f up and be a responsible adult (he's older then me).

I figure these are the nicest things I've ever done. Sometimes silence is kindness.

The Silent Killer......................
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Besides physically saving someones life, the best gift I've given is probably advice and courage(multiple ways)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I forgave myself for being human.

This is actually brilliant.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have volunteered for Hospice since 1998. I get assigned to a patient until they pass away. I like to think I provide comfort to the patient and to the family. I have been the only person in the room several times when my patient died. I have been told by families who are out of town or busy that they were so glad that someone was with them when they died and that makes it worth it anything I miss out at home to be there to help.

I'm seriously thinking of donating a kidney, but haven't decided for sure yet. That would go to #1 for sure.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Offhand, I'd have to say that the nicest thing I've done is birth two daughters and raise them to adulthood as educated, generous, self-sufficient, and well-balanced women.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I married my husband... :blushing:
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I forgave myself for being human.

That's a great response, I gave myself that one too...
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Volunteered at the salvation army, Christmas mother and the Boys and Girls club. Gave away my clarinet to a child that wanted to learn to play but her mom couldn't afford to buy one. I also donate to charities and give to the homeless.

On the other hand, the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me is turn my purse in when I left it outside in a cart at walmart, all contents (cash, checks & credit cards) were still inside!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ahh, you all have me crying over here.

I'M CRYING TOO! :sad: :heart:

ME TOO:sad:
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do volunteer work with rape and sexual assault victims. It's my way of using my own experiences to pay it forward. If I wasn't properly educated on rape culture, I'd probably still be thinking these things were my fault. Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of that, meaning they are in that lonely place. Just my way of trying to give back.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    When I was living in Utah and my family was still in Nevada, I was talking to my mom on the phone one day and she told me about a woman she knew who was in Nevada and was just frantic because her brother was in the ER in Salt Lake and they didn't expect him to live. She couldn't leave her elderly father to go to her brother and was just hysterical about him dying all alone. So I volunteered to go. It wasn't until I got halfway there that my mom called me back and told me he was homeless off and on and was in the final stages of AIDS. I slowed my car a bit. I didn't know either of these people. I thought about it for few minutes and then knew how I would feel if it was my brother, so I went. They ended up transferring him to a VA hospital. He couldn't talk and was slightly puzzled by the woman sitting by his bedside, holding his hand, chattering at him and wiping the crap from his mustache when he coughed it up. It took three days. He passed around 11:00 pm on the third night. I was singing to him when he took his last breath. But the way he looked at me before he closed his eyes for the last time made it all worth it. I met his sister a year later and to this day, there isn't anything she wouldn't do for me, but really, it was my privilege.

this story touched me. probably because i have no way to thank all the volunteers that visited my dad when he was in hospice. it means the world knowing he was cared for when i could not be there for him.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I have volunteered for Hospice since 1998. I get assigned to a patient until they pass away. I like to think I provide comfort to the patient and to the family. I have been the only person in the room several times when my patient died. I have been told by families who are out of town or busy that they were so glad that someone was with them when they died and that makes it worth it anything I miss out at home to be there to help.

I'm seriously thinking of donating a kidney, but haven't decided for sure yet. That would go to #1 for sure.

thanks for being a hospice volunteer!