How does one survive on 1200 calories per day anyway??

Options
12345679»

Replies

• jimmyintucson
    Options
    I am surviving on about 1000 calories a day. It's all about choices. The doctor said I can either lose 100 lbs., or expect to have hip surgery soon (I'm 61 and pastor a church of seniors--I know what hip surgery is like) so I opted for the diet. First, I always keep a big bowl of salad in the fridge. Then I use Walden Farm salad dressings--great taste, healthy, and they all have ZERO calories! I eat shirtake pasta (Miracle Noodles) with Walden Farms pasta sauces--both have zero calories, so I can spruce them up with bamboo shoots, green onions whatever for lunch, and it usually falls under 50 calories. I eat 5 small meals per day. It takes getting used to, but once you do, you don't require as much food. Then I burn with Daily Burn. I do at least 30-40 minutes of cardio, the 50 minutes of yoga, and maybe even walk for 30-40 minutes on my treadmill. Again, it is all about choices. I actually have had several days when I was under 800 calories and not hungry, but I try to avoid going less than 1000--I don't want to go into starvation mode. Oh, and very important, I visit my doctor every 4-6 weeks so he can monitor my health and so far all it very good indeed. That's how I've done it, hope this helps you.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I am not so different from many of the others on this site being that i know what I have to do, but everytime I enter in my food I feel like a looser, like OMG I only have that small number of calories showing on the screen and it's not even dinner time yet! Fresh veggies -check, water check, bagel uhoh, cream cheese - oh my you get the picture.

i think that my choices are ok until I track them and realize I am in the negative for the day...and HUNGRY.

Frustrated and feeling very blah. If you have any advise for what I am experiencing I would appreciate the help..thanking you in advance :)

tj

I'm in the same boat. I try to be good and then after lunch, It doesn't seem like I have enough left for dinner. Then I get frustrated. I do know that adding in calories by working out is a great way to eat more. I always get excited when I've worked out, have those extra calories and sometimes I don't need them all. Keep up the good work. You can add me as a friend if you want. I have just re-committed myself to being healthy.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a higher number of calories? Different people need different amounts of food every day- I work just fine under 1200 calories a day, I'm not hungry at all- but some people have to have way more! Try calculating your BMR and TDEE and going from that :)
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating 1200 calories a day. I eat all day long and I am never hungry. I eat dark choclate, ice cream and cappucinno almost every day and I have lost an average of 2.29lbs per week and down 4 pant sizes. I normally have 2 protein shakes a day, simply because they are so yummy. They total 300 calories.
    I do at least 20min excercise 5-6 times a week. At the moment I am injured so zero (sux)
    You are welcome to friend me.
  • Cobweb200
    Options
    Hi I am 5' 2" and I have 1360 calories a day. I also find that doing exercise and eating my exercise calories gives me plenty to eat and I still lose weight. Don't if know if that helps
  • DianaGroe
    DianaGroe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find I'm less hungry if I up my lean protein intake. I'm on steroids for a medical condition, so I feel your pain about being hungry. It's as if we have to take a wolf out of the cage and walk him around the dining table 3 times a day.
  • Cobweb200
    Options
    1200 is a really hard place to start! I was supposed to start at 1600, and I found that to be hard. So I tried 1800 for several weeks which was good. Then it seemed that my body adjusted and I wasn't hungry; then when I went down to 1600 it was much easier. At that point I also had a much better idea of what/how much I should be eating and could make much better food choices. If you are used to 2000-2500+ calories a day, going straight to 1200 would a serious shock to your system!
    [/quote

Very wise and sensible advice]
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    1200 really isn't healthy for long-term weight loss diets. It's ok to do for a short time (like 7-10 days) because the big scale move will motivate you, but then up your calories by 200-300. Avoid processed foods, steer clear of breads and potatoes. Choose berries and melons over calorie-dense fruits like bananas. Go to the reports tab and calculate your BMR. That's the number of calories your body needs to just keep working. Don't eat below that.
  • SkinnyGlimmer
    Options
    I eat less than 1200 calories per day, and here I am, pretty much alive.
    When body has lack of energy it uses saved energy from fat I found it good way to loose it with excercising... :drinker:
  • melanie8289
    melanie8289 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to stick to 1200 when I first started but it gets easier. You learn what is good and what is bad and so start to choose the right things. I've actually come in under that calorie count on occasions and had to think 'I need to eat more'. Stick at it, it will get better :) Add me as a friend if you want, you can look at my diary. I don't always manage to stick to the diet but I'm on track more than I'm off.
  • XxCaz89xX
    Options
    key is to plan your food for the day before u actually eat it!
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think alot of it depends on the individuals body chemistry. I eat around 1100-1300 calories on average and never try to go above 1500. I am eating 4 or 5 times a day, with breakfast being my biggest meal of the day with around 450-500 calories.

I've lost around 23-24 pounds in a month. I won't credit it all to my diet, I always seem to lose weight quickly if I try a little, I guess everyone's chemistry is just different.
  • blanhe2
    Options
    by earning exercise calories to eat!
  • kim200950
    Options
    I was suggested to drink a gallon of water a day and I got almost that in yesterday and I ate half of what I normal eat and I was full! So maybe you arent drinking the right amount. I also drink a glass of water before I eat anything, so that way I eat way less! Anything is possible just keep working on it!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My sister in law lost 80 lbs in 7 months on 1200 calories and 80 grams of protein everyday. She didn't cheat!!
  • theloppi
    Options
    Yeah, don't go hungry! It just makes you less likely to stick to it. Exercise is great for adding a few hundred calories to your day. I've learned to keep a nice chunk of calories available for the evening since I hate going to bed starving.
  • SkinnyGlimmer
    Options
    Going to bed starving isn't good. I can't get good sleep when I am hungry, I wake up in middle of night! :/
    But it isn't good to eat and go to sleep, it's perfect for gaining.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Going to bed starving isn't good. I can't get good sleep when I am hungry, I wake up in middle of night! :/
    But it isn't good to eat and go to sleep, it's perfect for gaining.

This is a myth it doesn't really matter when you get your calories if you go over you gain.
    Going to bed hungry usually makes you more tired the next day so you move less which means you burn less which can cause weight gain. Feeding your body all day long staying within your calories is proven to be the best.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So I'm 5'2 with a 1200 calorie goal. I workout most days. Recently plateaued for over a month and this week I began trying to make sure I eat about 1600 and the scale has started moving down again. Any other 1200ers please add me as a friend to share diaries. I'll take all the motivation I can get. Also i started a healthy cooking blog with calorie breakdowns to keep me motivated www.petitehealth.com