Time to find a new Doc. I am so sorry.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Horrible advice.. you will lose weight, but you will lose strength, energy, and muscle. I'm just now realizing some mistakes that I made in my weight loss. I have had tons of success losing weight- 75 lbs in 10 months on a low calorie diet ranging from 1100-1500 cals. And, I'm still 32% body fat and I have no more muscle than I did in the beginning-with 3-4 workouts a week. Do yourself a favor now, eat 1500-1800 cals and get active. Your body will turn out a lot better if you do so.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    i had 750 cals for breakfast... i'm not even kidding.

i don't think that's healthy.

IMO you should get advice from a NUTRITIONIST/DIETITIAN...not your doctor.

^^^ AMEN! I lost 70lbs over 20 years and can tell you there's NO WAY I woulda kept that off if I hadn't exercised! What kind of doctor would tell a patient, with a high risk of type II diabetes no less, that exercise won't do it? It's a TWO PART...nutrition AND exercise!!
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    your doctor is an idiot.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    also, exercise helps regulate blood sugar and helps people with pre-diabetes regardless of weight lost!
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is on crack.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking there is another motive here from the doctor. My gyno blamed EVERYTHING on my weight...you've got fybroids now...that's because of your weight. The price of gas went up in my neighborhood...that's because of your weight. Turns out she started selling that HCG diet with the shots and a 500 calorie a day diet. She harped on how wonderful it was and how the weight just melted away (she has always been stick thin so I don't know where she needed to melt it from). She was a bit ticked off when I told her I wasn't interested. When I went for my yearly this past August, I was down 45 pounds or so and literally the first thing out of her mouth was "what are we going to do about your weight?" I said that I had lost 45 pounds in 6 months and thought I was doing just fine. She couldn't believe that i was doing it just through better food choices and exercise and not her miracle shots. I guess she needs to make everyone feel bad about themselves so they will buy her stuff. Needless to say, I am finding a new gyno...I need support, not a sales pitch.

That being said, in my expert, learned it all through MFP message boards opinion, I can't imagine 750 calories a day being healthy in any way. It certainly isn't sustainable. Just someone spouting stuff out of the area of expertise (sort of like I am doing), but thinking that since he/she is a doctor, everything they say is right.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I agree with the dr is that you won't loss any weight by exercising. Its about what you eat.
    You should exercise to stay in shape ie toning etc. but doing just cardio won't exactly flatten your tummy.

http://jjsmithonline.com/blog/weight-loss/why-exercise-wont-make-you-thin/
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options

You may be actually having a hard time losing weight because your body is burning that fat and building muscle, too! Muscle weighs more than fat! :flowerforyou: Take measurements .. maybe you're not losing weight.. but losing inches

I forgot to mention I have lowered some body fat % since joining the new gym and exercising regularly. I have lost a little weight too so I am glad it is working! Just need to keep it going.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    im sorry but that just sounds crazy!! i would seek another doctor's opinion, or a nutritionist. just doesn't sound healthy!!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't feel right giving you advice since you have health issues.. but I can say that I am petite, as well. 4'10" and have been steady losing weight averaging 1500-2000 calories along with working out six days a week. I have no clue how many calories I actually burn. I feel like it's more than MFP says, but it hasn't let me down yet. Go to fat2fitradio.com and check out the BMR calculator on there and then it will tell you how many calories you should be eating that corresponds to how active you are. If nothing else, at least eat 1200 calories + your exercise calories. If this is easier for you. If you have a HRM that's great. Start there and after a few weeks make adjustments if you're not losing any weight. The slower the better!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Tell your dr to drop the crackpipe and then dump her *kitten*. She clearly knows nothing. If she's that stupid about basic nutrition, she probably knows nothing on everything else.
  • anntyson
    anntyson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WoW !!! Ur Dr. is nuts...Get a second opinion...
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Whilst it IS mainly about what you eat, exercise DOES help with weight loss in many ways. Not only that, your general fitness levels will increase as well.
  • joydayval
    Options
    Un. Believable.

This doctor has no clue. NONE. And knows absolutely nothing about PCOS, said this PCOS survivor!

First of all, PCOS is a form of pre-diabetes. Gestational is a symptom.

Second, blood sugars of 98-105 are pretty darn normal.

Third, and most important, weight gain is a symptom. It means that your body doesn't process insulin effectively.

See an ENDOCRINOLOGIST and arm yourself with info first. I recommend www.soulcysters.net.

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! Sorry your Doc sounds like a quack! An endocrinologist sounds like a great place to go if you're worried about diabetes! But fasting sugars of 98-105 are normal.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Two comments:
    a) do you know what the call the person in medical who graduates with the worst GPA?
    Doctor.. Just because they are an MD does not make them brilliant.
    b) They receive virtually no training on diet (much less exercise) in medical school. My doctor happens to be a competitive athlete, so I am more inclined to listen to his advice but he will only give general recommendations ( be more active, watch what you eat). he knows that the chances for success if you just give patients generic diet advice (follow Diet X or Diet Y) are pretty low. Willie Nelson was once told to stop drinking by his doctor.. then willie realized he knew more old drunks than old doctors. LOL
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Turns out she started selling that HCG diet with the shots and a 500 calorie a day diet. She harped on how wonderful it was and how the weight just melted away (she has always been stick thin so I don't know where she needed to melt it from). She was a bit ticked off when I told her I wasn't interested.

Your doctor? Are you for real?

That's ridiculous....
  • tbellamy1
    Options
    Doctors should stick to medicaine and not nutrition. IMO