Dr. told me to drop down to 750 calories

Options

Replies

• sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    This is only one brand of testing equipment, but it was the best source of information I could find on how to get your resting metabolic rate tested in the U.S. I find one weight management clinic near me that does it. $50 for a half hour session with a dietician that includes it.

http://www.microlifeusa.com/weightmanagementdealers.asp?Zip=&btnSubmit=+FIND+
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's time to drop the doctor! Get a new one!

This. That Doctor is full of *kitten*.
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes and i thought 95-100 fasting was a normal healthy reading ... you need a new doctor... and for your 750 calories a day that would starve your body into starvation mode and sugars would have no where to go. .. again You need a new doctor. Exercise and eating better works for losing weight. I have lost 60 lbs by exercising and watching what I eat . I eat about 1600 calories a day burn around 400- 600 a day tho exercise.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah see a nutritionist. No offense, but your doctor sounds like a quack...
  • cristaine
    Options
    I think we need to listen to our bodies. I have a totally different set of metabolic strengths and weaknesses than the rest of my immediate family. I had PCOS before, and suffered from hyperthyroid rebound hypothyroid after my son was born 7 years ago. Now, my metabolism is slow as sin. I call myself a slow burner for lack of a better word. I COULD probably eat 750 calories and do famously. My body can go to town on very few calories and do BETTER than if I overeat for what it seems to need. Now that said, I do that daily because I have a horrible appetite and eat easily 1400 to 1800 a day, on good and bad days respectively.

That said, I instictively think now, after many years of diets that I either need to eat less grains and sugars, or less calories. It just seems to stock up for the future famines (ha!) when it gets anything that remotely seems like it converts to sugar rapidly. That is just my body. I don't like it but it is what it is. Using a good HRM and sweating up a storm, I also don't burn a ton though either. But I feel better after it and stress is down, so I like to do it. Plus, weight training, whether it burns fat or not, DOES make your body look better. So I do that too.

I don't think 750 is a good answer. But it may be that you need less calories than a lot of "calculators" say.

My advice would be to find a solid and open minded NUTRITIONIST to deal with, share your struggles and concerns, what your primary physician said and go from there. I can eat a LOT more fats/veggies/protein than I can grains/fruits. That is just me. My husband and child are the opposite. They stock up on whole grains with their lean proteins and they burn calories like mad. Wish I had been born with THOSE genes, I love my bread and get quite literally sick to my stomach eating too much animal protein as I don't digest much well these days. I do need less carbs though, period. So, I need to work on how to make that happen if I want to be more slender.

My point is, even though common wisdom and science says at your height you should be burning X number of calories, REGARDLESS of your current weight, you may need more or less than that. Only a skilled professional would be able to TRULY guide you here, but listen to your body also. Nobody knows it better than you, even WITH all the education in the world :)
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Two comments:
    a) do you know what the call the person in medical who graduates with the worst GPA?
    Doctor.. Just because they are an MD does not make them brilliant.
    b) They receive virtually no training on diet (much less exercise) in medical school. My doctor happens to be a competitive athlete, so I am more inclined to listen to his advice but he will only give general recommendations ( be more active, watch what you eat). he knows that the chances for success if you just give patients generic diet advice (follow Diet X or Diet Y) are pretty low. Willie Nelson was once told to stop drinking by his doctor.. then willie realized he knew more old drunks than old doctors. LOL

true dat...

Love the willie nelson bit, lol.
  • rachgarm
    rachgarm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, if you'd like REAL advice instead of this insane advice message or add me :)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I no longer take bull from Dr.'s. They work for me. They work with me in a helpful manner or they are fired.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    i would just disregard what she said. it's kind of like when i go to the vet and they recommend science diet for my dog or cat. just because they are a vet doesn't mean they are up on the latest foods. science diet is filled with crap and is for the most part a poor food.

That's because HILL'S who makes Science Diet gives the vets kick-backs for selling their product. Just like doctors get kick backs from pharma companies for writing scripts for their products. Everyone is in everyone elses pockets. Sad.

yes, get a new doctor. They obviously didn't go to medical school or pay attention. Even I get can a degree from www.DegreesOnline.com.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Where did you find this chick? I wonder how many calories she survives on a day! QUACK QUACK!!!
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Drop that doctor like a hot potato. Go see a Registered Dietician.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    OMG! get a new dr! i'm five foot as well and i eat around 1300 kcal a day. I have lost 30 lbs through this and working out. it's scary that she would promote something that could cause you to have a heart attack.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    i had 750 cals for breakfast... i'm not even kidding.

i don't think that's healthy.

IMO you should get advice from a NUTRITIONIST/DIETITIAN...not your doctor.

Surely you jest! HOW do you eat 750 in ONE meal?
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That doctor is a complete idiot and shouldn't be practicing medicine at all!!! Hopefully her/him giving you that kind of advice has you running for the hills to find a new doctor. HORRIBLE!!!!!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If you were eating 1200 and the 500 calories you thought you were buring then maybe that is why you had trouble loosing weight? I agree 750 calories is very low to maintain but maybe for a while do it and see what happens. ALso eat back the 100 calories she says you are buring. I wouldnt do this long term though and take your vitamins.
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A few things:

First, your sugars do not sound high. However, checking to make sure is never bad.

Second, the doctor seems to be pushing some extreme measures.

Third, if you are having trouble losing weight you need to assess if the HRM is accurate and what you are eating along with getting a check up from your doctor.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I promised myself I would not get caught up in the drama that masquerades as forums here, but I can't help it and know I will be shot down immediately. One person before me gave your doctor the benefit of the doubt in that she knows you better than we do, has the medical training that we don't, and will be following you closely, which we can't. While I see nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, I don't think your doctor is necessarily a quack. You are overweight. You are only 5' tall, and you are in danger of developing diabetes, which means you likely have a bad case of insulin resistance coupled with an extremely slow metabolism. You neglected to tell us if your doctor actually gave you a diet plan outlining how to allot those 750 calories, because the foods you eat, not just the calories contained within them, are what trigger certain physical conditions.

Your doctor was right about one thing: you cannot lose weight by exercise alone; it must be accompanied by consuming fewer calories. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. If you burn 100 calories taking an hour-long walk, you can eat that back with a half a muffin. If you are 5' tall and your metabolism is slow, you will not lose weight on 1200 calories daily unless you are also doing a lot of aerobic exercise and building up muscle to boost your metabolism. I would listen to your doctor, but I would also ask for clarification. Take her advice, detailed advice, and then ask a nutritionist how best to spend those 750 calories. You may not need to eat that little for very long, just enough time to jump start the weight loss process, to bring down your blood sugar and get you to where you can eat a more normal diet, exercise and lose weight.

None of us is the same. Asking for advice in a place like this is like the three blind men with the elephant.
    She neglected to give me any kind of plan..not that she is an expert but she pretends to be! She neglected to refer me to a dietician or to ask me to go to an endocrinologist. I will do both these things -- endo first -- on my own.

To answer your second point regarding slow metabolism and 1200 calories probably being too much for me..I don't believe it is too much for me. I do zumba 2-3 times a week, bodypump twice a week and have a full time job and kids to take care and a household to run. I don't think I can have energy to do all of the things I need to do on a 750 calorie diet. No way! I currently eat my exercise calories back on days that I exercise and on other days I try to hit the 1200-1300 mark. I do believe I have insulin resistance going on which is making it harder to lose weight. She neglected to address this point completely.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If you were eating 1200 and the 500 calories you thought you were buring then maybe that is why you had trouble loosing weight? I agree 750 calories is very low to maintain but maybe for a while do it and see what happens. ALso eat back the 100 calories she says you are buring. I wouldnt do this long term though and take your vitamins.

that doesnt work for everyone though. i eat 1300, burn abt 400, and do not eat back my workout calories, if i do i maintain and do not lose weight.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I for one find the whole story a bit incredible. Are you sure you are representing it completely accurately? :wink: I am not implying that you are lying, just exaggerating for artistic purposes :noway:

While in special circumstances and under strict supervision very low calorie diets may be indicated, there is much in your account that just does not make any sense at all.

If it is indeed a completely true story, I recommend you make a formal complaint.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's time to drop the doctor! Get a new one!

^^

This

And honestly, a morning sugar reading under 108 is perfectly normal.