Replies

• Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a quack.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I agree with the part about losing weight mostly coming down to 'food' but I do believe exercise helps, especially weights....
    I'd say she really should have kept her mouth shut especially since you were not there for weightloss advice. I would probably go to a different doctor. I had a doctor tell me once that there was no need for me to have been doing what I was doing to gain weight when I was underweight. He said "ah wll, you know how we mississippians are. We just always think you have to have meat on your bones. Your fine." .....even after I explained to him about being underweight on bmi and I was there for dizzy spells, etc. That was the last time I went to him. You'd think doctors would give better advice on weightloss/gain or just stay quiet about it. =/
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    get a new doc, that one is not using good common scene
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Time for a new doctor!!
  • SadieB3
    Options
    Gee she sure sounded like she wasn't very encouraging. I would change doctors
  • tishka11
    Options
    My dad is a doctor and was always hard on me for my weight. Looking back, he would say some of the stupidest things like "there is no such thing as a good fat." I later learned that in med school, most doctors only take one nutrition class IF THAT. So while consulting your doctor about your health as it relates to your weight/diet can be important, many doctors are not capable of giving you solid diet/nutrition advice.

I agree....most doctors have very little knowledge about nutrition and diet...i also studied medicine and it was a very small part of the cirriculum and what it did teach was often very generalised or wrong. I have personally had bad experienced with doctors...i have had a heart condition for a long time and when i told a doctor about very serious symptoms she didnt even take my blood pressure or do any physical exam...just took blood, thought the results were fine and then asked ME what she should do next!!
    Having said that...you need to find a nutritionist/dietician that suits you...i have had many in the past and some have been absolutely clueless ofr simply just uncaring as they are clearly fed up with their job. As someone who has a significant number of allergies and intolerances this made things difficult ....so you just need to keep trying new people until you find the one who is right for you and who genuinely knows what they are talking about :D
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    lol your doctor is so wrong! go to a nutritionalist instead... or another doctor.
  • meganwolsker
    Options
    Coming from a nurse...Get a second opinion (aka a new doctor) :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    NEW DOCTOR IS REQUIRED. Just curious, how old is this doctor?:noway:
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight without exercise but I have to admit not as much as I could be and I do not feel as good as I could if I did. My choices so not whining, just pointing out it can be done.

When I told my Dr about MFP and being at 1200 calories I thought she was going to never stop lecturing me....end result, 1400 for now and we will monitor everything before I go any lower. She is so supportive and non-judgmental about anything I talk to her about which is probably why she's been my Doc for 15 yrs. She also is the first to admit when she doesn't know enough about something. I asked about exercise and her advice was simple....you are ok to exercise but go to a gym/personal trainer or someone and tell them you have these issues and let them help you set something up you can do.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    i had 750 cals for breakfast... i'm not even kidding.

i don't think that's healthy.

IMO you should get advice from a NUTRITIONIST/DIETITIAN...not your doctor.

Nutritionalists and dietitians may not have formal educations (I was shocked when I found that out). I would find a doctor that specializes in nutrition. It is like talking to a regular doctor about obgyn stuff.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    OK Part of this is BS.

NOW as someone who is 4'11 I can tell you I ate about 900-1200 calories which my doctor said was fine unless i worked out hard, then eat more. BUT i mean if you are eating eggs and veggis and chicken, you can get full on not too much food. So I don't recommend eating 750 but yes us Shorties can survive on a lot less then what normal sized people can. I use a heart rate monitor and average 350-750 a workout and no way I only lose 100 calories. Some doctors think they know everything but I can tell you that at our height we should be in the 100-125 weight range, and above that can be more harmful on us since we aren't a normal height. Just log your calories here, exercise (don't be afraid of weights too!) and prove your doctor wrong! I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks and I cant wait to show off the 40 pounds I lost without her help!

Oh and yes you can lose weight without exercise. My dad changed his diet and lost 35 pounds without even going on walks! it is 80% what you eat. I know people who workout and workout but eat unhealthy and they never lose weight. But you will get max results incorporating healthy eating and exercise. Plus I want to be FIT not skinny!
  • katylady777
    katylady777 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    as far as i know the minimum healty is 1200....
  • ditalini
    ditalini Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with all those who say to get a new doctor. I have had to replace my doctor this last year. It was hard to do, but I realized that I had to do it for my health. I had a health issue and needed treatment, and she didn't have a clue on how to diagnose it or treat it.

You are your own best advocate! Stand up for yourself and find a doctor who will help you achieve and maintain optimal health.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    quack quack... look it's a ruckin duck!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Time for a new doctor. Seriously. I lost over 100 pounds. I plateaued for years with another 30 to lose and couldn't get any more off. Then I started gaining. On 1200 to 1500 cals a day and a TON of exercise. I bike, paddle board, lift weights, hike, dance, do marital arts, etc. I burn a minimum of 300 a day in exercise. Sometimes as many 1200 on the days I biked to the marina, paddle boarded for an hour and biked home. I had to go to no less than THREE doctors before I found one who didn't have cranio-rectal syndrome and was willing to listen to me and take me seriously and not just pat me on the head and say I was probably premenopausal. It turns out I have Hashimotos. Losing weight with it is a real uphill battle. With medication and a very low carb diet, I'm losing ridiculously slow and at least I've stopped gaining. If you doctor isn't giving you answers, that's bad enough. But when your doctor is giving you the wrong answers and advocating an unhealthy lifestyle, its time to move on. Good luck.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You need to switch physicians, IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, tomorrow morning.

There is so much wrong with that statement, I have no idea where to start!

#1- No physician should ever tell there patients that exercise does nothing. That is absolutely ridiculous.
    #2- It's ok to eat 750 maybe 2-3x a week, but you supplement that with days in between of 1200+ calories. 750 is essentially fasting. Your electrolytes will deplete and you're just asking for heart/muscle/bone problems.
    #3- This sight may or may not be correct with certain information but it gives you a rough estimate of where you are vs. need to be.

My advice (& I'm no doctor!) -
    Weight loss is simple.
    *Move vigorously for 20-30 minutes 4-5 days a week. Dance, walk, work out video, gym. Just MOVE. There are 1,440 minutes in a day. Use 20-30 minutes of that to exercise!
    *Drink water & wash your hands.
    *Eat 1000-1200 calories a day. You know what has a ton of sodium and is high in calories. Use good judgement.

The hardest part (to me anyway) is motivation. I get discouraged easily. I am working on pushing through the bad days and focusing on the long term picture. Results aren't going to happen over night.

Best of luck to you.
  • NurseLocke
    Options
    *their
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I did some research and lowest amount of calories suggest is 900 and your doctor wants you to go lower than that! That is ridiculous, she is worried about one health problem by potentially causing other ones!!
    900 Calorie Diet
    By Gina Ragusa, eHow Contributor

Read more: 900 Calorie Diet | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5191575_900-calorie-diet.html#ixzz2B1c4zgfL
  • NurseLocke
    Options
    *site... F***, I'm off today.