Focused on Fitness: Daily Check-In Group

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Cha36jennings (did I get that right?) So far, are you finding it helpful to have this thread? Is there anything else you'd like to see us post on here (introductions, goals, motivations, challenges)? Seems like you are doing good with making sure you get some exercise in every day.

Jlloyd - Cto5K is fun! (Well, parts of it anyway). That was what got me started with exercising more regularly - and I started it because of people on here who were doing it. How's it going for you? Is this your first time running, or are you a former athlete who is getting back into shape? Be proud of your progress so far... by week 4 you're really starting to build time. Woohoo!!!

StringsNlinks (Gina?) - Are you wearing a pedometer to know how much mileage you get during the day? That's a good idea. I bought one a while back but it was REALLY off... so I chucked it. :laugh: 20 flights of stairs sounds like no joke. Even though I try to be active, I'm pretty sure that would kick my booty, pretty much any day of the week. Enjoy your workout today (Wed). What are your exercises of choice?

Karinf - Aww... your babies sound cute. I must admit, I've never heard of a jindo mix... I should google it. 3 cats, 2 chincillas and a turtle too? Isn't just keeping up with all that considered exercise? :laugh: I have 3 dogs (a rottweiler/dalmation mix, a pit bull/viszla mix - best we can tell - and a jack terrier/chihuahua mix.) Yep, mutt city here too. The little guy and I used to go for walks every day, but since I started running, he hasn't been getting as many. Sometimes I (we) get brave and take all 3 dogs for a walk at once - no further than a mile. We also have 3 (indoor) cats and an occasional stray that comes around for food. :)

Okay everyone - we're halfway through the week. I'm not sure how much effort I'll put into today's workout (still feeling a little under the weather and yesterday's jog about did me in.) Maybe just a short pilates video?
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi smiles4miles

I was goning to ask if anyone has a 5 minute routine in the morning. I was thinking of some form of strength exercise or a routine of exercises that seems to be good for waking you up. But nothing longer than 5 mins as mornings are hectic enough as it is!

Managed to complete 15 mins on elliptical trainer and 2 sets of sit ups, 2 sets of arm curls

Seems as if everyone is starting to get into the swing of things now :-)
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I run in place sometimes while I'm waiting for the kettle. But if you only have 5 minutes it may be best to do something that helps you stretch like arms overhead then touch you toes.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hi smiles4miles

I was goning to ask if anyone has a 5 minute routine in the morning. I was thinking of some form of strength exercise or a routine of exercises that seems to be good for waking you up. But nothing longer than 5 mins as mornings are hectic enough as it is!

Managed to complete 15 mins on elliptical trainer and 2 sets of sit ups, 2 sets of arm curls

Hi lady! I don't usually do only a 5 min routine in the morning but that does sound good. Maybe, like Karin was suggesting, do some stretches, arm raises, toe touches - do the knee raises while brushing your teeth and some calf raises while waiting on the coffeepot... then for extra fun 1-2 minutes of lunges?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hi smiles4miles

Hi lady! I don't usually do only a 5 min routine in the morning but that does sound good. Maybe, like Karin was suggesting, do some stretches, arm raises, toe touches - do the knee raises while brushing your teeth and some calf raises while waiting on the coffeepot... then for extra fun 1-2 minutes of lunges?

Woops! Also forgot to say - great job with the elliptical and the 2 sets of situps and arm curls - I agree - it does seem like we're gaining momentum. Keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Okay - here's my exercise check in for the day: zilch.
    I still have a stomach issue which means that it's almost 6:00 pm and I've only been able to consume about 450 calories. If I'm lucky, I'll get another 500 in tonight... but that's still under the recommended minimum of 1200....... SOOOOOOO, while I'd love to get moving, i think pushing it is unwise.

Hopefully by Friday (at the latest), at least I'll be able to do something gentle, like a walk or pilates. Yesterday's run might've been a bit too ambitious for my circumstances. :frown:
  • kalmf
    Options
    Sounds like your body needs rest and kindness. Hope you feel better
    Karin
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Thank you! I did rest and am being kind... today I did level 1 shred and intermediate pilates - just under an hour total, not to strenuous, and still moving. (and so far I'm feeling okay afterward!)

How are you all doing?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Thank you! I did rest and am being kind... today I did level 1 shred and intermediate pilates - just under an hour total, not to strenuous, and still moving. (and so far I'm feeling okay afterward!)

How are you all doing?
  • kalmf
    Options
    I hiked for an hour with the dogs, and I'm going to do a hundred crunches before I leave for school. So far so good this week! I can't believe you did as much as you did today feeling the way you do. Wow!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I hiked for an hour with the dogs, and I'm going to do a hundred crunches before I leave for school. So far so good this week! I can't believe you did as much as you did today feeling the way you do. Wow!

Great job - I bet your dogs love it when they go out with you. I'm feeling sad - mine are being sorely neglected in the exercise / companionship department recently... need to do something about it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Did you get your crunches in?

I just did a 30 minute run, total was 54 mins with warm up and cool down walking and stretching. I forget how GOOD it feels to get out there and be moving....
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Jlloyd, stringsnlinks, ch36jennings - ???

How you all doing? Stairs, extra walking on campus, squats, lunges, calf raises anyone?

Yep, I'm being obnoxious. (It's kinda fun sometimes). :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • kalmf
    Options
    Noooo!!! No crunches. I did get the hike in, and today I did a one hour work out and fast-walked for 20 minutes. Then I lunched - because it's what we do on Friday's. And now I'm taking my son to see Alice In Wonderland. Probably won't have popcorn, but he wants to go to the Cheesecake Factory after and I already had lunch out so it'll be tricky. Wish me luck!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Noooo!!! No crunches. I did get the hike in, and today I did a one hour work out and fast-walked for 20 minutes. Then I lunched - because it's what we do on Friday's. And now I'm taking my son to see Alice In Wonderland. Probably won't have popcorn, but he wants to go to the Cheesecake Factory after and I already had lunch out so it'll be tricky. Wish me luck!!

Good luck Karin! Sounds like a fun Friday night, for sure. Sounds like you got some good exercise in (what was your one hour workout today?) and can help keep things in check. Enjoy your time with your son - sounds wonderful to me! :)
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    Did not get to post for Friday, but finished W4D3 and it felt great. Weather is finally starting to break and warm up a little, its hard to get out and run when temps are in the twenty's. I live in a rural area in east Tennessee and we do no have a gym so its all outdoors. Just got to get up and go. Sounds as if everybody had a good week. See you all Monday (W5D1).
  • kalmf
    Options
    Boy, this has become an intimate little group!! I'll hang in if you guys do.

I did okay - I liked Alice even if it had some problems. I will forgive any imperfections for Johnny Depp. I did have three handfuls of popcorn, but didn't go out to dinner, so that all balanced out. Today I need to makeup some routine, maybe Wii, because the rain is starting.

Have a good weekend!
    Karin
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Intimate can be good. :) The main thing is we keep coming here!

Jlloyd - week 5 - awesome!!! Look forward to hearing your report. What's the length of running time right now? Just curious also if you're using a podcast to help with the intervals? I found it pretty helpful when I was doing it. Hopefully your temps will keep warming up.

Karin -glad your movie was fun. Man, movie popcorn sounds sooooo good. But it does not like me.... so I've come to accept that. Hope you have fun with the wii... (that seems really fun - I'd like to have one!)

I just got back from a short walk with one of the dogs. Was going to then take another one out, but the rain started here too. Looking forward to a week full of activity. (Thinking of putting myself on a computer restriction... i'm spending waaay too much time online .... :ohwell:
  • kalmf
    Options
    Yes, one should restrict oneself, except... it's Oscar night!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Karin - you must really enjoy entertainment, the celebs, all that stuff? I have friends who do - but it's not my big thing... I watched a bit last night...

Today - started the week off with Jillian's Cardio Kickbox DVD. It was only 25 minutes but it sure helped get my day off to a good start. I was stuck in a training from 9-4, sitting. Did fit in a walk around the block during the morning break.

How about you guys?
  • kalmf
    Options
    Okay, did a 90 minute yoga class, and am doing well on everything except water - so I'm going to work on that tonight.

No, I actually hate all the celeb stuff in LA. When my kids were in pre-school it was hideous because there was alway some famous person's kid in the class and parent would fall all over themselves to make a connection. Now they're older I don't have to deal with all of it. I think though, having lived in the country for the past three years, that the pressure to be young and thin is much worse here.