No loss in two weeks...

Options

Replies

• AZDreamgirl
    Options
    Don't be sad... and making adjustments to your diet 3-4 days a week versus the 1-3. More good days are better than bad days. My diary is a mess at times, but you need to hold your self accountable for your diet, the shopping, the cooking and getting active. Whether it's walking or working out at home, you have to get that metabolism moving. Hang in the there!!!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Then maybe I should have asked a completely different question in this thread. Everyone pointing out my mistakes and making me feel bad for them all over again is NOT helping. I'm likely going to turn my diary private now...

Asking what you're doing wrong and then whining when people answer your question isn't fair.
    People DO and WILL make mistakes, but don't expect change when you HAVE NOT put forth effort.
    Making your diary private won't make it go away, but do so if you think that will help YOU.

My honest advice? Put the diet on hold until you figure out the self esteem issues. You won't live a healthier lifestyle until you accept that you deserve one.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its obvious you cant handle eating unhealthy foods in moderation. therefore you should model your eating after an alcoholic and quit cold turkey and not even allow yourself 1 bite of any fast food or candy or chips or crackers etc... just eat lean protein, fruits, veges etc...

it will suck at first but then you will get used to it.

or you can continue to be fat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Then maybe I should have asked a completely different question in this thread. Everyone pointing out my mistakes and making me feel bad for them all over again is NOT helping. I'm likely going to turn my diary private now...

You have some pretty nasty responses for people who are trying to help you. You lost 2 lbs this week. I wouldn't complain. You gained 2 lbs the week before. It happens. You keep going. To really be successful, you are going to have to make some changes. I looked through a lot of your diary. I can't imagine you ever feel full. Maybe you could set a goal for next week of eating 3 cups of veggies every day. Maybe add 1-2 servings of fruit a day. No need to try changing anything other than that for next week. Maybe work on that for a week or two, until you feel comfortable with that change. That gives you a lot more bulk for your diet without a lot of calories. Then, maybe the week after you have a goal of making one meal a day for yourself or 2 a week, whatever change you can handle for that week. In that meal, make a lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish), a veggie (1-2 cups is a good start) and some kind of a carb (rice, potatoes, barley, noodles). Each step will get you closer to getting to a good, healthy diet. I also liked the suggestion about getting some books that provide meal plans so you can see what really makes up a healthy diet. In the end, you HAVE to make the choice, you HAVE to make the effort, you HAVE to stop with the excuses.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, since many people have very eloquently pointed out and repeated not only the answer to your question, but why your lifestyle is not healthy, and what you can do to improve it... I will hit on some things you keep repeating yourself.

You keep saying, "I'm GOING to change" and "I can't do this OVERNIGHT."

Talk is cheap. You keep SAYING you're going to do things; why would people see a very unhealthy diary, a person who can't seem to handle constructive criticism and actually CREATES insults in their head, and someone who has made many different excuses for why their lifestyle is the way it is... and then take your "I'm going to change!" statement at face value?

You said you've been on another health site--you've been logging here at least a month, and you've BEEN in the forums, as this wasn't your first forum post. You're not squeaky clean new to this "new lifestyle"... but the lifestyle hasn't changed.

How long can you keep saying, "I'm GOING to change"? Don't say, "I'm GOING to change," start thinking, "I AM changed. I AM changing." You have set yourself up with many phrases I have heard people use... and they all ended up obese.

I'm not exaggerating, either. The, "Well, but it's the holidays" turned into "Well, it's a Tuesday" for them, and all of a sudden they were 50+ lbs overweight. Similarly, I heard many people say, "I'm going to start limiting my portions/exercising/join a gym/etc."... and they just kept saying that as the weight gained.

Ultimately, while your food and exercise and even time management habits might not be great, I think you need to work on your cognitive behavior before anything else. You say you own up and are aware of your choices... but you are giving yourself reasons to do them, even if you don't think you are. Saying, 'At least I didn't eat a Blizzard..." in response to eating double the candy serving size of something is dangerous. Dangerous.

You lost 7 lbs. That's good. You STARTED. You just have to COMPLETE it.

You wouldn't run through Azeroth saying, "I'm going to get to level 90 eventually..." and then twink yourself. You wouldn't say, "I'm going to defeat Ganon!" and then stay at the Deku tree for a year.

So why would you say, "I'm GOING to change and lose weight" then sit and give yourself excuses and question why nothing's changing?
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I make my log the night before and I don't eat my extra calories from exercising. If I do eat at a restaurant I eat half the meal and keep the rest for another day.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    courage-wolf-338.jpg

Seriously. Stop it. All you're hurting is yourself by making excuses for everything you're doing wrong and the mistakes you're making.

You seem to not realize that a lot of us here have been in your shoes before. We're not telling you these things because we're ragging on you. We're telling you these things to help you avoid the mistakes a lot of us made ourselves. All you've done is snap at every single helpful response. Stop being so defensive and taking these comments personally. A little perspective and humility will take you a lot further in life than whining and defensiveness.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't run through Azeroth saying, "I'm going to get to level 90 eventually..." and then twink yourself. You wouldn't say, "I'm going to defeat Ganon!" and then stay at the Deku tree for a year.

Best response
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged by some of these replies. Especially if you are doing your best. You need to do as the last poster said--start adding veggies and fruit and lean protein in your diet, get a George Foreman, and definitely start reading about nutrition. It will make your eating choices so much easier when you eat out. (eg spaghetti marinara will always be better than fettuccine alfredo) You have the "best" idea for weight loss, which is a lifestyle change that you can live with...but it will still have to be a change. Please, don't give up because people have been aggressive with you. This is your life and you will have to learn what works for your weight loss, but without a doubt in order to be successful you will need to learn about food and its nutritional properties. It will make your journey more fun and exciting as well. Not just about loss but about gaining--gaining wisdom and knowledge and skills!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    my head hurts.

Yes, THIS. Good Lord.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Exercise, exercise, exercise! I lost my first 15lbs by diet alone but for a long term success you need to exercise! You might hate it at first but you will grow to love it.
    I know I did and now I get upset when I am unable to workout!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg

Can someone tell me why i read this in squidwards voice haha
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I checked your diary.

Eating pizzas, donuts and more junk food will not get you anywhere! I can't even believe you've lost 7 lbs with that diet.

You're going to have to review your lifestyle if you want to lose weight.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your diet sucks. Try some veggies and whole grains. Eat MUCH less sodium. Ditch the pizza and donuts. :)

Maybe take one day at a time. It's hard, but you can do it.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    OP, since many people have very eloquently pointed out and repeated not only the answer to your question, but why your lifestyle is not healthy, and what you can do to improve it... I will hit on some things you keep repeating yourself.

You keep saying, "I'm GOING to change" and "I can't do this OVERNIGHT."

Talk is cheap. You keep SAYING you're going to do things; why would people see a very unhealthy diary, a person who can't seem to handle constructive criticism and actually CREATES insults in their head, and someone who has made many different excuses for why their lifestyle is the way it is... and then take your "I'm going to change!" statement at face value?

You said you've been on another health site--you've been logging here at least a month, and you've BEEN in the forums, as this wasn't your first forum post. You're not squeaky clean new to this "new lifestyle"... but the lifestyle hasn't changed.

How long can you keep saying, "I'm GOING to change"? Don't say, "I'm GOING to change," start thinking, "I AM changed. I AM changing." You have set yourself up with many phrases I have heard people use... and they all ended up obese.

I'm not exaggerating, either. The, "Well, but it's the holidays" turned into "Well, it's a Tuesday" for them, and all of a sudden they were 50+ lbs overweight. Similarly, I heard many people say, "I'm going to start limiting my portions/exercising/join a gym/etc."... and they just kept saying that as the weight gained.

Ultimately, while your food and exercise and even time management habits might not be great, I think you need to work on your cognitive behavior before anything else. You say you own up and are aware of your choices... but you are giving yourself reasons to do them, even if you don't think you are. Saying, 'At least I didn't eat a Blizzard..." in response to eating double the candy serving size of something is dangerous. Dangerous.

You lost 7 lbs. That's good. You STARTED. You just have to COMPLETE it.

So why would you say, "I'm GOING to change and lose weight" then sit and give yourself excuses and question why nothing's changing?

Not to sound whiny... I really don't mean to... but nobody knows what my habits were like before I started this journey, and nobody knows how I've changed since I started. I keep struggling with my own inner "drill instructor" who is "go hard or go home, you pathetic maggot" and seeing harsh or tough responses from other people just brings that out more, and I get defensive. Heck someone just busted out Courage Wolf here. This can't be all or nothing... that's not sustainable. I TRIED that my first week back on SparkPeople and was miserable and wanting to quit. I felt better when I was easier on myself and saw results. Now... people are pushing me again and that "drill instructor" in my head is coming back.

What do I have to do to get people to stop being hard on me so I can stop being hard on myself?
    Don't get discouraged by some of these replies. Especially if you are doing your best. You need to do as the last poster said--start adding veggies and fruit and lean protein in your diet, get a George Foreman, and definitely start reading about nutrition. It will make your eating choices so much easier when you eat out. (eg spaghetti marinara will always be better than fettuccine alfredo) You have the "best" idea for weight loss, which is a lifestyle change that you can live with...but it will still have to be a change. Please, don't give up because people have been aggressive with you. This is your life and you will have to learn what works for your weight loss, but without a doubt in order to be successful you will need to learn about food and its nutritional properties. It will make your journey more fun and exciting as well. Not just about loss but about gaining--gaining wisdom and knowledge and skills!

Thank you! But... have people completely overlooked the salads and celery and carrot sticks I eat so they can nag on my bad choices instead?
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Don't use no time as an excuse. If you really want to change your lifestyle and lose weight you need to put all excuses aside and just do it! Find some easy recipes online, there's tons of low cal crockpot recipes, you stick everything in the crockpot and bam 5 hours later your meal is done and freezes for later meals. If you have to skip being social for a while then do it. You will be more happier in the end. I had a baby and moved out on my own at 17, I didn't even know how to brown ground beef! But, I learned, from the internet. I am now 30 yrs old with 4 kids and a husband. I cook thier dinner seperately from mine, and still have time for other things, so sitrring a pot for 30 mins will not ruin your whole day. You will be proud of yourself
  • secretlobster
    Options

Not to sound whiny... I really don't mean to... but nobody knows what my habits were like before I started this journey, and nobody knows how I've changed since I started.

It doesn't matter that much if your changes aren't good enough
    Thank you! But... have people completely overlooked the salads and celery and carrot sticks I eat so they can nag on my bad choices instead?

Your celery and carrot sticks aren't a large part of your diet compared to the fast food and candy. You asked why you weren't losing weight.

No one said it was "all or nothing". You are making things up so that you can feel victimized.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    What do I have to do to get people to stop being hard on me so I can stop being hard on myself?

You can think you deserve a better, healthier life first.. then you'll make the effort to get there. I stand by my original comment. Once you think you're worth the better life, you'll do things that get you there. Until you decide that you're worth it, you're going to keep doing the same thing you have been.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    PS: Maybe if you were actually hard on yourself you'd get things done
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just look at the bright side...one day you will BE one of these people! The kind of person that will NOT allow excuses, no matter how valid they seem. The kind of person who can look at a situation, unemotionally, spot the problem and set plans in place to fix it. The kind of person that holds no punches about sentimentality, especially if its gets in the way of your goals. I wish you the best of luck, because it seems like you are not yet to a point of BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! And when you have issues with food that is the attitude that you HAVE to have. Its not about changing overnight... its about changing every minute. Every time you get ready to eat ANYTHING, it is an opportunity to change into the you that you WANT to be. Every day that you sit down for an hour straight instead of getting up and doing a few jumping jacks, you make a choice. Its not about being perfect, its about making the choices that you NEED to make, to take you where you want to go. You will not lose weight by eating the way you are currently eating. There is NO WAY! (This is not judgment, trust me I've tried it!) :) If you would like a little help coming up with some easy ways to eat a bit better...one day a time...inbox me. I'm happy to share with you if any way I can...Best of luck!

Keelah.