No loss in two weeks...

Options

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the reason that you haven't seen a loss isn't a lack of exercise, water intake, or TOM. You haven't been losing because you are not taking responsibility for your choices and it seems like you don't have the motivation to make the needed changes.

I didn't know how to cook when I first moved out and went off to college, but you know what I did have? The internet! You can find tasty, low-cal recipes (skinnytaste.com) and you can Google ANY cooking term that you don't know, which videos demonstrating what it is. Maybe you can take initiative in your own house, invite people over, and make a dinner AND get your socializing in.

TIME. We all don't have the extra time for cooking, exercising, and overall health- which is why most of us found ourselves on here. The difference is that we MADE time for the things that are important to us: fitness (or weight loss). You're a young adult who lives at home with her parents. I hate to say that you can't complain about a lack of time to the single moms, travelling adults, or full-time students.

I hope from this thread you don't become defensive, and accept that all comments, even rude ones, are made with the intent to help. But there is nothing that anyone can say until you buy into the idea that this isn't something that you can do in your free time. You have to make a serious commitment, especially before you complain about a lack of weight loss.

Good luck!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    To those who have been positive, thanks.

To those who have been hostile... a review maybe:

In this thread I have said that I plan to do my own grocery shopping so that I don't have to put up with my parents' bad decisions anymore. I also said I plan on working out EVERY day this week. Saturday was my worst day ever and is not typical. I have actually lost two pounds this week, but they were two pounds that I gained the week before and wasn't sure where they came from. Thus, no loss in two weeks.

Y'know, I haven't even had lunch yet because of reading all these rapid responses...
    I would also urge you to consider the time spent cooking as a great social time. I've had many many discussions while I'm making part of the meal and my wife is making another part. Cleaning up sucks as well but again...I'm washing, she's drying...plenty of social time.
    Doesn't work like that in my house. I get home from work before dad. I hit the gym, or I go upstairs to play video games online with my distant friends. Dad gets home, he watches TV and yells at me if I try to carry on a conversation with him while he's busy watching something. Mom is on Facebook. If I were to cook for myself, they would not help me, nor would it be a social event. On typical days we have dinner together, then I go upstairs and play.

I would have enjoyed this thread more if someone could point out any one thing I'm doing GOOD on rather than rubbing my nose in what I did wrong and shaming me for it. Perhaps I should've picked another thread title...
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hey Klopford, I forgot to mention that skinnytaste.com has some good recipes and if you like smoothies, dashingdish.com has some that taste EXACTLY like desserts. Also I agree with OP about using a crockpot. They are so easy to use and you can make so many tasty and healthy things in them. Once again, good luck to you.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

In this thread I have said that I plan to do my own grocery shopping so that I don't have to put up with my parents' bad decisions anymore. I also said I plan on working out EVERY day this week. Saturday was my worst day ever and is not typical. I have actually lost two pounds this week, but they were two pounds that I gained the week before and wasn't sure where they came from. Thus, no loss in two weeks.

Y'know, I haven't even had lunch yet because of reading all these rapid responses...
    I would also urge you to consider the time spent cooking as a great social time. I've had many many discussions while I'm making part of the meal and my wife is making another part. Cleaning up sucks as well but again...I'm washing, she's drying...plenty of social time.
    Doesn't work like that in my house. I get home from work before dad. I hit the gym, or I go upstairs to play video games online with my distant friends. Dad gets home, he watches TV and yells at me if I try to carry on a conversation with him while he's busy watching something. Mom is on Facebook. If I were to cook for myself, they would not help me, nor would it be a social event. On typical days we have dinner together, then I go upstairs and play.

I would have enjoyed this thread more if someone could point out any one thing I'm doing GOOD on rather than rubbing my nose in what I did wrong and shaming me for it. Perhaps I should've picked another thread title...

Perhaps you should quit making more excuses and just suck it up and get down to business, huh? The sooner you take responsibility for yourself, the better off you'll be.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I am not reading this whole thing, cause I just don't care that much...but come on....Pizza Hut, McDonalds, and Junior Mints are one full day of your diary. As long as you are eating like that, just give it up. When you want to get healthy, start eating right. Meanwhile, quitcha*****in!!!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Actions speak louder than words, prove us all wrong then.

And you're seriously blaming people responding to a question you posted on a public forum for you not eating lunch? Here's a tip, log off. Problem solved.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Your plans for the next week sound good.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I understand this is a life style change and it is hard, I get that. You need to make it a priority if you truly want to lose weight and become healthier. Sure some days you might go over but you need to really think about it and see why you went over.

As for your three excuses and lets face it, they are excuses:

1. Learn. You can teach yourself to cook. Trial and error will happen but at least you are trying.
    2. Time. What would you rather be doing then making a healthy meal for yourself? Computer? Video games? Cooking does not always involve spending hours upon hours at the stove. There are plenty of healthy recipes you can make in a crock pot as well.
    3. Social. Get out and meet people. I know it can be hard but what about taking a cooking class? That fixes problem #1 and #3.

No one is being hostile but you are being combative. A lot of these people have had tremendous success and I personally would listen to their advice. In the end, you have to want this and you have to want to change. Don't do it for anyone but yourself. Stop with the excuses. I assume your parents do not force you to go out and eat right? You have a job and an adult, stay home and eat something healthy. You don't sound 100% committed and until you are, you are going to struggle like this. Once you are committed, it falls into place and you will feel amazing. Good luck.

ETA: Your new plan sounds good, stick to it and prove to yourself that you CAN do this.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You need to toughen up buttercup

Looking through your diary I see very little to be positive about. No one here is being hostile, just 100% honest.
    You are making way too many excuses. Its time to start changing up your diet! What you are eating is not a good lifestyle to have, and is not going to help you any.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you want to do this correct, listen to the advice. Make your own meals, make it a social thing and change your family dynamic.

You can do it, we all have. You are making excuse upon excuse why you can't do the most simple things. Once you are commited enough to put in the TIME and EFFORT to eat better, it will show on the scale and how your clothes fit.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Wow...please stop playing the victim.

You asked why you didn't lose weight in two weeks...some of us went back and reviewed 4-6 weeks and made it clear that your choices are what prevented that.

You have an excuse for everything, in regards to your weightloss.

Being healthy and losing weight doesn't just happen overnight and is delivered by angels at the front door. You have to WORK for it. Your parents habits suck? OK then...you're smart enough to be online, yes? THen look up recipes and cooking techniques AND LEARN for yourself. Trial and error, my dear. Social time? Your video gaming seems to be your social time...you may have an introverted personality, I don't know you so I can't say but if that's the case, then care about yourself enough to just go to the kitchen and make your own damn food.

No one here is trying to "rub your nose in it". It's always 'Oh well it wasn't as bad as this.." and " at least I didn't have that.."...but just about every day there is clearly too much of nutrition lacking foods, sodium etc.

Your plans sounds great...get some ideas of things you want to cook. Easy stuff to start. What do you like? Chili? Soups? Lasagnas and casseroles? They can all be made healthier. THere is also an issue with portion control. No 3 Jolly Ranchers a day is not going to make a difference...it's the other crap that is...the Fast food and mall food.

I know I personally made my comments with completely sincerity in trying to help you, so if I somehow made you feel attacked, I'm sorry you feel that way.

But take this as a lesson ...many of us have worked really damn hard to lose weight and want to help others but we can't help you if you don't want to be helped...we're not mean people attacking you...we're waiting for you to take RESPONSIBILITY. Good chance is we all have been in your shoes at one way or another...so please, be less combative and just realize others want you to succeed.

That being said, if you need help with ideas, prep whatever...I'd be happy to help. You can PM if you are interested.

Good luck.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

You did ask "what the fluff is wrong with me". You got answers on your question. If you needed support instead of advice then you could have said "I realize my choices haven't been great but I'm looking for motivation to keep going, please help"

I'm not personally trying to shame you for making poor food choices, but at the same time, I'm not going to respond to a post where you ask why you haven't lost weight with "well look on the bright side, your diary today is not as bad as what you probably ate Saturday when you didn't log what you ate because you knew it was bad". I'm not sure what terminology to use to convey that your choices aren't what they should be. I haven't used any rude language and I haven't seen any particularly rude responses, but you are spending most of your time arguing or making excuses, and I imagine that deep down, you want more than anything to lose the weight and reach your goal. Don't you want to be HEALTHY more than you want to defend eating too much fast food??

If that is the case, what you need is honesty with yourself. You need solutions, and you need to stop dwelling on what you "can't" do. You are so convinced that the world is against you and you can't make healthy food. As long as you convince yourself that's true, instead of finding ways to deal with the situation you're in and make it work for you, then you will be right.

You also seem to be prioritising free time, video games, etc. instead of forcing yourself to make the changes you need to make. Changing your daily routines and habits starts out as force, then becomes more natural. But you can't give in to "I want" every single time you get an impulse.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of playing video games after work, you cook a meal for you and your parents. A) you get your healthy things B) you are also helping your parents. Video games can wait for later, your health is now

Ps. I havent lost in about a month. I go to the gym 5 times a week and work with a PT 3 times, so it happens.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I did give up Taco Bell in the name of being thin and healthy.

I really miss it too.

But it's worth it.

Now I'm hungry.

That's too bad. There are actually some good choices at Taco Bell.

I am not aware of any "good choices" at Taco Bell, only some "less bad choices".

(Note, I did not say that a person could never eat at Taco Bell and realize success. It most certainly can be done...but that does not IMHO make it a "good choice".)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What does socialization have to do with weight loss? I keep seeing that come up.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    ...and so the Billy-goats Gruff went clippety clop over the bridge ...
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    oh woe is me I haven't lost any weight in 3 months. I'm going to keep going to the gym and watching what I eat just for fun and see what happens. I'll probably end up getting healthy, it's going to suck but I have nothing better to do with myself. I don't want to be healthy I just want to watch the scale move and look hot and all that important stuff...
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You're 24 with a full time job and you base your food decisions on what your parents make for dinner?
    Why not make your own healthy meals on the side?

Three things and I know they're going to sound like excuses.

1. I don't really know how to cook...
    2. Time. There are plenty of things I'd MUCH rather be doing than wasting half an hour stirring a pot or checking on the oven.
    3. Social. Going out with my parents constitues pretty much the only social interaction I get outside of work that doesn't involve a computer, especially if my parents invite our friends to go out with us. When I left college and returned home, I left behind the only friends I had that were close to my age. None of my friends from high school stayed in the area and if they did they don't care enough to want to hang out, and all my brother's friends are away at college themselves. I have nobody but my family.

If my parents don't go to the grocery store ASAP so we can put a better plan in place I'm going to do it myself because I'm sick of having to plan around them.

Umm change all 3 of these things. That is all.

Also why are you waiting on your parents to go the the grocery store and not just going yourself anyway?

Ridiculous excuses. It's your journey not theirs.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hang tough. I just ended a three week plateau with a weight gain despite doing everything I was supposed to be doing. It's not easy....but stay strong.

I don't think I've come far enough or done this long enough to be reaching any plateaus yet...

Heh, if we could all 'decide' when our plateaus would happen I doubt many of us would have to work so hard.

In all seriousness, you've taken on a tough task but it sounds like you are getting a little prematurely impatient. You've made good progress - focus on the end game and keep working at it. Do every day a little better than the last.
  • charl2712
    charl2712 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know you feel like people are attacking you, but I know from past experiences that when you lash out at people or make excuses to someone, it's usually because you know they're right. I've done that myself, but one thing you need to realise hun is that people aren't attacking you, we're all trying to help you.

Weightloss is a lifestyle change, it's not a quick fix solution. I love my junk food,take-aways and eating out at nice restaurants, as all of us do, but one thing I realised is that lifestyle is what led me to be 5ft3 and weighing 179lbs and being in the overweight BMI catergory only 4 months ago.

I realised the only way I can loose weight is making a lifestyle change, not just having a quick fix diet. I changed the amount of times I ate junk food and processed food just because it was convenient and started cooking my meals from scratch, making the right food choices and exercising more. Don't get me wrong, I do still have the occassional treat, whether it's a small piece fo chocolate (rather than a whole bar or packet of sweets) or sharing a portion of fast-food with someone, rather than having a whole meal to myself, but one thing you need to realise hun is that by choosing BAD food options everyday and thinking that a couple of sweets or chocolates daily, won't do any harm, actually do.

I looked back at your food diary for the last month and to be honest I was a bit shocked at pretty much the daily amount of fast-food, sweets and processed foods you were having and the lack of protein rich foods, vegetables and fruits in your diet.

I'm sorry but in one of your posts you said you can't cook and can't be arsed to stand stirring a pot for 30 minutes and that you have to eat what your parents get or prepare, but these just sound like excuses. You said your 24 and working full time, this means your earning your own money to be able to purchase your own groceries and make healthy choices when at work. I am a full time nursing student, I am placed in a hospital from 8am-6pm, 4 days a week and live on a very tight student budget, where I'm having to pay rent and bills, including maintaining a car, but yet I am still able to buy healthy foods and come back home to prepare myself something healthy to eat.

I'm not having a go at you, but just find it hard to understand how you can justify your food choices and your eating habits. I changed my eating because I REALLY WANTED THIS, I really wanted to loose weight, but now even more so I want to be healthy so that I can have a healthy life and don't end up with serious health problems (and I work in an operating theatre and see the problems that unhealthy lifestyles can lead to)

I just think that you really need to think abot what you want more, whether you want to lead a happy, healthy life or whether you want to stay on this self-destructive path. It your choice!!!