annoyed at the/my/this "Journey"

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    But isn't it a journey? I mean aren't you hear to learn how to eat right, and exercise to make yourself healthy, and then once your done with that journey you take what you have learned from that and try to maintain? To me it is silly that you could get upset about a word somebody uses to help themselves get healthy, because they aren't using that word for you.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Interesting how one word means different things to different people. I see the word "journey" in this context, to be the journey I have embarked on to a healthier, longer life. It doesn't have an end, until my heart stops beating.

If ones "journey" in this context has an end, then, yeah, it sounds more like a diet. I can't do that. It never lasts.

Thanks for bringing up the topic. Interesting.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Dude, change out your cotton already.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word "journey" in general...it just sounds stupid to me. Perhaps it's because people try to use it to describe some ultra-spiritual underlying experience or because it is an overused buzz word of reality TV now...I don't know!

EXACTLY.

I blame the Biggest Loser.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am being too semantic about this...but the use of the phrase the/my/this "Journey" annoys the ever loving crap out of me.

To me journey sounds temporary. It is a cutesy way of saying "I am going to do this thing until some point in time when it is over and I have to go back to real life" In other words the last 20 years I spent going on and off "journeys" to improve my health and life. Call it what is is....change. You change for the good or bad...hopefully we are doing it for the good.

/end rant for the day.

journeys have destinations, like the journey to enlightenment. journeys usually lead to another journey. if you walk this road right, the journey will take you to a place of health and wellbeing. that should be the destination. if you wander off the path into old habits, clearly you never made it, your journey hadn't ended and you stopped short once you saw your destination from afar and said "this is far enough"

but yeh, "my journey" is pretty lame. its a bit

hippies-2.jpg
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Since this topic started, I've been counting how many times the word "journey" appears in forum topics (other than this one of course) and in profile descriptions or "taglines"...so far I'm up to 46, with some people using it 5 or more times in their profiles.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Journey doesn't bother me. I've come to realize that some people are on a journey to living healthy. I think for some it's not an overnight change but a series of changes, some big and some small, but all part of a journey of changing lifelong bad habits.

"Lifestyle change" makes me a cringe a little. I think that sounds temporary. I mean, how long is something a change??

Others seem really bothered by the word diet. But that's what I use and what makes the most sense to me. Because call it what you will, unless you plan to stop eating at some point, a diet is not temporary.

But it's all just semantics. Except for "diet".
  • toottoots
    toottoots Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So journey what journey dont journey you journey like journey about journey journeys journey? Lol
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Since this topic started, I've been counting how many times the word "journey" appears in forum topics (other than this one of course) and in profile descriptions or "taglines"...so far I'm up to 46, with some people using it 5 or more times in their profiles.

Leaves to edit profile...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Life itself is a journey.....it ends when you die. Same with THIS journey. Its for life. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You know which word makes me want to hurl, though?

Onederland.

Ugh. It's way too cutesy and overused.

It took me weeks to figure out what word meant when I first joined MFP. I was (mis)pronouncinng it like in That Thing You Do. Had a DUH moment when I finally got it.

I don't mind it though. It is corny, but I can imagine reaching it is quite a thrill for those that haven't been there in a while.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That is why I say "Transformation"
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    That is why I say "Transformation"

oreo cookies or pop tarts. they're both bad.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    When I was four years old and my family moved from the west coast to to Missouri, I considered it a journey - a pretty awesome one - and I haven't lived on the west coast since.

My google definition thingy just says that a journey is "An act of traveling from one place to another". How is a change any less temporary than a journey? Anything that has changed can change again.

Nothing is forever unless we decide to make it so, and keep on making that decision whenever it arises, and even then...

I agree that the terminology is overused, but that's because we're in the fitness community. From outside and for newbies, it's a perfectly appropriate word.

As for people who flinch when people use the spiritual interpretation, I have to say suck it up. Different people get to weight loss in different ways, and for some people it takes a spiritual "journey". ;)

I just checked and I did not happen to use the word "journey" on my profile. It's more about strategies, achievements, and goals.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I will complete my Journey...it is my Destiny!!

May the Schwartz be with you.:wink:
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    But it IS temporary. I have no intentions of losing weight forever. I intend to reach my destination, and then I intend to stay there. The journey isn't forever, the destination will be. I have no intention to make this journey again once it is complete.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "Journey" only slightly bothers me and "lifestyle change" always makes me thing someone decided to become a cross-dresser or something. Both sound slightly pretentious to me. I just see it in less romantic and poetic terms as being about managing my fintness and nutrition. Not nearly as inspirational but, for me, the motivation is internal and it was something I decided. Once decided, the motivational aspect of it is far less improtant than the daily discipline of doing it and managing it effectively.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Journey - Its not like you are going into Mordor to destroy 'the one ring' in the fires of Mt. Doom. Its a freaking diet.

:laugh:
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I couldn't agree more with the corniness of the term "journey". I, also feel that "linear" and "starvation" seem to be bantied around a bit too much on this site as well.

Now excuse me while me and my fat azz wage an epic battle against the evil forces of gravity.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey, journey.