Do you eat back your burned calories?

Options

Replies

• Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't, but only because I'm using the TDEE calculation that already has my exercise averaged in. It seems easier to have a set amount each day rather than the variation between workout and rest days.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I do. The system works. And I eat very well.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? If you are using MFP to calculate your daily calorie allowance then calories burned through exercise form part of your daily calorie allowance. By not eating them you are just picking an arbitrary number of calories to eat, so there's really no point in bothering to calculate a goal.

(I take the point that all the numbers we work with are estimates, but just ignoring what can be quite a significant part of your daily calorie intake doesn't makes sense to me. It's like saying I'll eat the calories burned by breathing but not by sleeping - not very logical!)

If you don't like the way that MFP calculates calories, then by all means use a different system (like Motleybird above) You are still "eating back your calories", you just don't have to separate them out from the other parts that make up your calorie requirements for the day. Saying "I don't eat back calories that I burn" just isn't true because we are all "eating back burnt calories" every day.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No I dont, never have.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    nope I am afraid there is too much error in the guesstimating of calories burned for any activity.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat back some of them, but rarely all. Some days I find it hard to reach my MFP calorie count without going over on my macros. Generally, though, I try not to go over 1400 calories per day, since my nutritionist had me at 12-1400 and MFP only has me at 1240. I figure if my body is burning those 1240 no matter what I do, a little extra fuel and building materials are needed for exercising.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I only eat a portion of them back. If I eat them all back, it tends to stall my weight loss.

This^^^
    I eat back a portion of them..usually around 1/2. If I eat them all back I plateau and if I don't eat any of them I plateau(lerned this while using another plan) it seems to be holding true for MFP as well. It seems like most days that puts my calories 1500-1700, once I am at maintenance I'll eat back more. I have what I consider a very efficient metabolism. :huh: My body conserves every calorie and burns at little as possible, I could survive a famine:laugh: If i got a good bit of extra burn then I will eat a bit more, especially if I am feeling hungry.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah, I get hungry!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back, but not all. I don't use a heart rate monitor, so I'm operating under the assumption that my calories burned figure is way off, so I'd rather just err on the side of caution.

I listen to my body though, I'm not walking around starving and ravenous on those days that I'm below 1200 net. I'm also short (5'2") so eating 1200 doesn't feel like I'm really restricting myself as long as I make good food choices.
  • wazzanz
    Options
    only if i'm hungry or going out and drink them.

I might also eat a bit more knowing i'm going to the gym. Say a banana before or protein shake afterward.

No point going through the McDonald's drive in to eat back for the sake of it.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Nope. Because I have no idea how many calories I burn.
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    only if i'm hungry! if i feel stuffed then nope
  • Emeshee
    Emeshee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No. MFP overestimates the # burned by a lot
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I dont because I'm trying to lose weight. I don't burn a lot anyway so its not like I'm doing massive work outs and feeling hungry. I eat alot of large salads with protein and that keeps me full for a long time.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if i'm hungry or feel i need the energy replenished, yes.

if not, then no.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    only if i feel hungry and thats very rarely
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat them back. Always have, always will. I love my muscle and don't want to lose it!
  • mhaight85
    Options
    I guess my answer is yes...I usually exercise because I ate too many calories through out the day and and went over my goal.
  • RopenChoke
    RopenChoke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my excercise calories. In my mind it accounts for error in the calories I'm eating or the calories it says I'm burning. However, I feel like my 1300 calories a day gives me plenty of energy and keeps me feeling satisfied. If I felt like I was tired or starving, I would eat them.
    Options
    If im v hungry Ill have a snack but I agree that MFP greatly overestimates calories burned.

I go to the gym and look on the display in front of me on the crosstrainer. It says ill burn say 150cal in 20 mins. MFP says Ill burn 150 cal walking for 30mins. That cant be right......