Pot is legal in CO and WA

Options

Replies

• Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke it (although I did for years), but it should be legal, and taxed.

Short and to the point. Exactly my view on it!
  • mmrp79
    mmrp79 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ready to move to CO or WA!!!!!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Feds will step in and overrule it, sad but true.

Doesnt that require a supreme court ruling ?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yup! I read that when I was 19, and it changed my whole outlook. I am actually the president of our local NORML chapter. :bigsmile:

Thank you for fighting the good fight. I actually don't care for weed (it always made me paranoid as hell and the munchies are the last thing I ever needed) but I'm horrified by the thought that my son might someday try it, then get caught and jailed and maybe lose grants and loans for college.

He'll be going to college soon, and I'm not fool enough to think he won't be around it. Because of our draconian laws, I've begged him for years to stay away from people who use it (and stay out of their homes and cars) and not to use it himself until he finishes college and even promised that if I can afford to, I'll buy him a plane ticket to a country where he can try it legally when he's old enough if he really wants to.

Now if the feds behave I guess I can save some money and send him to one of our sane states instead. :bigsmile:
  • phxricky
    phxricky Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for somebody to blame the illigals for this! Wait nevermind it's not Arizona.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke it constantly in my late teens but stopped... I'm just waiting for the day when New York goes legal with it.

Seriously... what's the worst it can do? The only fights between pot smokers will sound something like...

"come on, let’s go…nah, I can’t get off the couch, let’s order Chinese food instead. I love you man”

if we all had a bong, we'd all get along!!! :)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Cheetos a Doritos sales are about to spike in those states.

Hahaha yes! As well as Funyuns, Ho-Ho's, Lil Debbie snacks, and just about every other kind of junk food XD
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am all for the legalization of marijuana, but here's my question. How will it be monitored when it comes to vehicular use? I say this, because, I know there were times when I used to smoke that it was not safe for me to be behind the wheel. Fortunately, I had the common sense to wait it out, but not everyone does/will. Atleast with alcohol, there is a system that can relatively determine how intoxicated someone is and have proof to hold them accountable in court. However, there's not really a way to tell, how high someone is. Is there?

It's pretty easy to tell if someone is impaired, simply observe their driving. If they are following all traffic laws and appear to be driving in a safe manner, then there is no problem to solve.

The same can be said about those who are intoxicated and driving. There are a lot of good drunk drivers out there too.

In my opinion, no one should ever get pulled over unless they are violating traffic laws.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for somebody to blame the illigals for this! Wait nevermind it's not Arizona.

Interestingly enough, one of the scare tactics used when corporations were pushing to make it illegal was racism.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This may get overturned by the Supreme Court, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Like others have said, if alcohol and tobacco are legal, marijuana should be too. It has fewer carcinogens by far than cigarettes and other forms of tobacco, and does not intoxicate you nearly as severely as alcohol. I personally find that I drive much more carefully while stoned! :P
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

The benefits of marijuana are so great that this could NEVER be a bad thing. It cures cancer, it helps very sick people who cannot get relief from any man-made chemical and it end crime when legalized. Drug legalization = income from tax revenue and ending gang/cartel crime.

YAY!

Wow it cures cancer? Does the FDA and do all scientists working on a cure know this?

Only in Europe apparently.

Also the FDA is *NOT* trying to cure cancer. Ever.

Yeah, the FDA has also destroyed many studies showing that the effects of second hand cigarette smoke are a minimal risk to the public, Yet look at what has happened with the smoking bans. The FDA has no purpose to the people other than making money and being corrupt.

EEEEXACTLY! *high five*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yup! I read that when I was 19, and it changed my whole outlook. I am actually the president of our local NORML chapter. :bigsmile:

Thank you for fighting the good fight. I actually don't care for weed (it always made me paranoid as hell and the munchies are the last thing I ever needed) but I'm horrified by the thought that my son might someday try it, then get caught and jailed and maybe lose grants and loans for college.

He'll be going to college soon, and I'm not fool enough to think he won't be around it. Because of our draconian laws, I've begged him for years to stay away from people who use it (and stay out of their homes and cars) and not to use it himself until he finishes college and even promised that if I can afford to, I'll buy him a plane ticket to a country where he can try it legally when he's old enough if he really wants to.

Now if the feds behave I guess I can save some money and send him to one of our sane states instead. :bigsmile:

I have two teenagers as well. We have told them that we would much rather they smoke weed than to drink alcohol, and to NEVER use it when hanging out with friends but to come to us first. My family is the main reason I continue to work to change the policies.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me how this makes any difference? Pot is still illegal by federal law, which trumps state law. So where is the victory?
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Note to self.....Invest in all pizza companies and Nabisco.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This may get overturned by the Supreme Court, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Like others have said, if alcohol and tobacco are legal, marijuana should be too. It has fewer carcinogens by far than cigarettes and other forms of tobacco, and does not intoxicate you nearly as severely as alcohol. I personally find that I drive much more carefully while stoned! :P

I wonder what type of scenario would cause this to even go to court. On the contrary, I believe this is just the beginning. Almost half of the states have changed their policy for the benefit of patients. There will come a time when the feds will have no choice but to take their toys and go home. I live for the day when the DEA/FDA are gone for good!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me how this makes any difference? Pot is still illegal by federal law, which trumps state law. So where is the victory?

It is a victory for progressive thinking, not grasping onto antiquated ideas.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

I wonder what type of scenario would cause this to even go to court. On the contrary, I believe this is just the beginning. Almost half of the states have changed their policy for the benefit of patients. There will come a time when the feds will have no choice but to take their toys and go home. I live for the day when the DEA/FDA are gone for good!

Yeah, who needs meat inspections and who needs to make sure drug companies haven't skewed their research before we release a new drug? That would be stupid to have those things regulated.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

1. The federal government has no constitutional authority to ban cannabis.

2. The federal government does not have the resources to negate these victories.

3. More than half the country wants to end cannabis prohibition.

3. This will be a HUGE boon to taxpayers in these states.

4. This will benefit countless people in those states who might have been stuck with a criminal record and will no longer have to worry about arrest.

5. The federal government will have a *VERY* difficult time conducting any enforcement operations without the cooperation of state and local law enforcement agencies.

There's a few to chew on for starters. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yeah, who needs meat inspections and who needs to make sure drug companies haven't skewed their research before we release a new drug? That would be stupid to have those things regulated.

We don't need the FDA for that. The FDA is corrupt to the core. They do NOT keep us safe.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    I am all for responsible use of weed and alcohal. I hope they put a steep tax on it.
    I have no issue with responsible use of weed I just don't see that happening here in Colorado.
This discussion has been closed.