Well, it is officially time for a new gym

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with the freeweights on the second floor? My local gym has them upstairs and while I don't mind the crashing sound because I know serious boss shiit is happening, some times it startles me! I'm delicate and could pee when startled!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I may get flamed for this, but I agree with the Club Director on this one.

If you can't control the weights, you shouldn't be lifting so heavy.

Slowly lowering a deadlift is not intelligent.
  • Commander6666
    Commander6666 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Today the "Club Director" asked me not to let the weight down so fast when deadlifting.

"Could you let the weight down slower; you're rattling the building."

"I can't control that much weight on the way down."

"Then I would ask you not to do so much weight."

"Then I'll have to cancel my membership."

"I'm sorry you feel that way." *Club Director walks away.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting 350lbs you can control just fine on the way up but what I don't think people understand is when you bring it down gravity freaking helps it and you could injure yourself trying to control it so its better to let it go especially when your on your 8th rep and tired.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a gym that had a room specifically for people who engaged in deadlifting...

Yes, it's annoying to others without additional padding, etc... but it's a legitimate workout choice. A gym needs to accommodate for that sort of thing, it's as simple as putting down extra padding... or hell, even having a specific time set aside for deadlifters only.

If they're going to gripe at you for working out in a (gasp) gym, then screw 'em... it isn't a real gym!
  • Commander6666
    Commander6666 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Get the hell out. If your gym has a "Club Director" it is time to leave anyway! lol.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to witness the (attempted) much-needed deadlifting education of at least a few clueless MFPers.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You definitely need a meat head friendly gym. Only noobs and cardio bunnies look when there is a thud at my gym.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about deadlifting, but if that's the gym's policy and you don't want to follow it then yeah, go find a new gym.

This, and only because it could be disturbing other members, and that's not really fair either.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Proper response would have been -

"I am much more gentle when I am putting down your wife....."
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Proper response would have been -

"I am much more gentle when I am putting down your wife....."

:laugh:
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Like to see the face first time you lose 500lbs squating and it falls back on the floor
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Thread has potential for lols

In for later.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are scaring the cardio bunnies!!!! They are delicate little thing.

Next thing you know they will complain you are grunting.

Go to a real gym.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Oh - so that's what the crashing over in the free weight area is all about. I had no idea.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I dropped one last week ( only 365, but a PR for me ) I think every treadmill in the place stopped. The guy doing his shrugs in the squat rack in front of me damn near shat his drawers.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Is your gym planet fitness? If I were you I'd intentionally clunk weights as often as possible and grunt and groan obnoxiously during your entire workout.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    While it is excusable for people in here who do not dead lift to not know your technique (despite all the Olympic TV coverage recently) I would expect the Director of a Gym to know.

- or is this some sort of 'social director' who, presumably, therefore had no business criticising your technique
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's a girlie man gym anyways. I hope you find a nearby gym that caters to your training regimen.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about deadlifting, but if that's the gym's policy and you don't want to follow it then yeah, go find a new gym.

This, and only because it could be disturbing other members, and that's not really fair either.

Everyone is at an effing gym not a library...I personally cant stand the noise from the belts on the treadmills, or the damn bike that squeaks.