anyone know anything about chia seeds?!?

Options

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Love chia seeds. I add them to my daily smoothie. The are rich in omegas and help keep you hydrated. They have not helped me lose weight tho. Not that I can tell. I guess every bit helps but it isn't magic.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I can't take credit for this recipe, someone posted it in the low carber forum:

Cheesy Chia Patties:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/667222-low-carb-chia-patties-recipe-they-are-yummy

Can add whicever flavourings you want to them- herbs, spices, garlic etc.....
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I love them in my protein pancakes or in smoothies -- there are so many other ideas here! Great!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I make sugar free Jam (jelly) with them: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/ Just substitute maple syrup with stevia for reduced sugar

And Pancakes: http://grainfreegroupie.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/chia-protein-pancakes.html I substitute the coconut flour with half a mashed banana and soak the chia seeds in almond milk for 5 mins before

And chocolate chia pudding: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/11/healthy-chocolate-chia-pudding/ or http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/chocolate-carob-chia-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

I always keep a jar of 'chia gel' i.e. chia seeds soaked in water (ratio 1:10) ready to add to smoothies/breakfast etc. as it is easier to digest and obtain the full nutrients.

Chocalate Chia pudding you say??? following me a link! THANKS :drinker:
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    totally bumping this....my hubby gets awful migraines and I seem to have a tape worm lately...hahaha cant get enough to eat so Im allll over this!!! Thanks everyone!
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just bought some yesterday. I will be adding them to smoothies and/or oatmeal.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I add 2 parts water to chia seeds and store them in the fridge. I add them to smoothies and shakes. Great for you!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The first time I bought them, I found them in the bulk bins at my grocery store.
    I really love them. They kind of remind me of poppy seeds. I put them in my yogurt, salads, steel cut oatmeal, even on top of my poached eggs. I think that you could put them in anything. They are super good for you, and really don't have a taste.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You can put them in practically anything, and they're very good for you. I see a lot of people put them in oatmeal.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I use them in scrambled eggs, shakes, salads.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Just google it. You'll find loads of info! I like to put them in juice for 30mins and then drink it. I also put them in my protein bars. And I've put them in my no-cooked oatmeal with yogurt. They have no taste so you can add them to a lot of stuff and you won't really realize it. The chia seeds hold something like 9x their weight in water, so they are supposed to be very beneficial for hydration.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    for the past 6 months I have added 2 TBSP of Chia seeds every day to my morning smoothie according to the dietitian it helps lower your bad cholesterol

I do the same thing only 1 tbs though
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal every morning. I mix quick oats, almond milk, half a banana, cinnamon and chia seeds. Shake it up in a sealed container and in an hour it's ready to eat. I make it before work and eat it after I get there. The chia seeds swell up in the liquid and form kind of a gel consistency around them. They don't have any taste. I stay full all morning eating this.

I do this! And also soak in water and then add to my yogurt.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal every morning. I mix quick oats, almond milk, half a banana, cinnamon and chia seeds. Shake it up in a sealed container and in an hour it's ready to eat. I make it before work and eat it after I get there. The chia seeds swell up in the liquid and form kind of a gel consistency around them. They don't have any taste. I stay full all morning eating this.

Me too!

Chia seeds are 15% protein and almost 40% fiber by weight, and also have 18% of the recommended daily intake of calcium in a 1oz serving. They are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids - by weight, chia contains more omega 3 than salmon!.. Basically they are awesome ;) They puff up when exposed to liquid so they expand, which helps to keep you fuller longer (especially because they are so packed with fiber and protein)

There's more information here http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top10ChiaBenefits.html
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I made this today and I am in LOVE!! Thank you!! FYI - I love, love chia seeds! They are a cheap and easy way to get Omega's into your body and the fact that they are mucogelatinous* is really cool!

*My big 25 cent word that basically means the seeds when soaked create a gel-like consistency. ;)
  • run_on
    Options
    I started eating them after reading Born to Run - the Tarahumara indians use chia seeds to make pinole, and their endurance (and their ability to run and run and run) is attributed to the seed (and their local corn beer, but I'll stick to my Heinekin).

I have noticed that I feel better, run farther (not necessarily faster) and stay fuller longer...I add to my Fage yogurt (daily).
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok, so where can I get them? I've been looking but can't find them locally. Does a regular grocery carry them? Are they usually packaged in a bag, box, packet? I saw the post about Costco, but I don't have a membership. :(

I live in a small town, but I got mine at our pharmacy. They have health food items.
  • evolutioner
    Options
    They're good for digestion because when you soaked them in some water they become slimey which is great for digestion, and they are also good for your joints b/c of the fat/oils from the chia seeds it lubricates joints and it feeds the brain, also protein for musculs. You can use them in puddings. salads. smoothies, juices, breads, spreads and they take on the flavor of what ever you put them in. So yea chia seeds are awsome to the max!
  • kajune16th
    Options
    bump
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump