Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• erd1954
    erd1954 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not a success story yet but I am making good progress. Just be patient with yourself, the weight goes down a bit slower than it used too when I was younger but if you watch what you eat and can increase the excercise you will see progress.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!! DO NOT THROW IN THAT TOWEL!, YOU CAN DO THIS!! BUCKLE DOWN AND CONQUER!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 44, and very happy with how I look now. There was a post this week stating that its harder for women to lose weight as we get older, but I would question this. I think when we get to a certain age, we slow down, but there is no reason for us to do so. There are plenty of more mature women on MFP who have lost weight successfully, are in great shape and very active.

Good luck on your MFP journey.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i am almost 40, and it is sooooo hard to lose this weight. i use to be able to lose weight so easily in my 20's and 30's! well, i have pre-diabetes, which makes it more difficult to drop the weight too! i am going to lose another 20lbs if it kills me! i can do this, and so can you!!!!!!!!!! i'm not giving up~even if it takes 1 year to lose!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:

You can't compare yourself to someone 20 years younger... or even someone your age. There isn't any point to it, really, because every person's weight loss experience is unique to that person's lifestyle, habits, and body. I totally understand that desire to see others succeeding -- I love to pour over the before and after shots, too. But only my actions will decide if I'll be among them in the coming months.

I've got people far older than you on my friends list who have lost far more than you are looking to lose. They're not trying to pass for 20 years old or anything, but they look great. They look like optimized versions of themselves. Each one of their stories is different, but they all have MFP in common. Take comfort in that! You're here. If you put the work in, you will be rewarded with your very own custom transformation. How cool is that?
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! 55 years and going strong! I don't think about my age too much, except when something hurts :) I've been logging on MFP since March and LOVE it! I eat 1200-1500 cals per day, log EVERY day and exercise 2-3 times per week. Mix of weights and cardio. Of course I always aim to do more ...

I've lost over 30 lbs and all I ever hear is how good I look and 'how did you do it'? NO ONE has EVER said I look older! (maybe they're just not telling me??) Anyway, I carry on no matter what. Feelin' good and looking forward to losing another 10-20 lbs. BTW, I'm 5'8"

Being overweight is NOT fun. Being healthy and within a normal weight range is FABULOUS!

Wishing you all good things! :glasses:
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and I haven't really had any problems getting most of the weight off. If I stay under the calories they set for me and exercise (such as walking) and watch my sodium as well.) Every once in a while I go over. Join a group of people near your own age and try to get a lot of friends on MFP for motivation as well.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and have lost over 30 lbs using MFP. I feel 10 years younger than I did six months ago and have a lot more energy.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Here I am, an almost 72 yr old lady! I haven't lost any since I started this program a few days ago. I had been with sharecare for about 2 years and lost 20 lbs. It was a slow loss and sometimes discouraging. Over the summer while we were away I put about 4-5 back on and now struggling trying to get those off and the other 7. I weigh abt 140 now and had been down to 137, hoping to get to 130. I'm 5' 1 1/2" and pretty active, going to the gym three times a week for strength training and when I have time I do water aerobics and aqualates. At home I have a treadmill I use on days I can't get to the gym.
    Keep with it, you'll do it, have patience!

Wow, you are my new hero. I love the fact that you are 2 years older than my mum and still strength train.
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hooray for this topic.....I agree you see all thwse successes and it is the younger ladies.....now we are called "mam" not miss...ha ha, I am 52 and I do look at some pictures of people the same age I don't think I look like that as some dress so "old" I don't dress like a 20 year old but I don't think I am ready for polysester/elastic waist pants!!! but hey that is my vision now isn't it...ha ha

I totally agree that as you age it is more difficult to loose but yes can be done and the main thing is also becoming healthy with the exercise and i enjoy it thoroughly. One thing I did for myself and it is the best thing I ever did is I just recently had a breast reduction!!!! As I had problems with my neck/shoulder it is covered by medical (I reside in Canada) and the plastic surgeon I had is very very awesome. I went from a 40 D to a 38C and could not be happier, I also had the lypo under the arm area on the side by the recommendation by the surgeon to make it not so boxy.........again I am just thrilled to now put a shirt on and not have them pushing it open and/or it fits like a glove..... or don't wear a bra ha ha they are not heading south!!! and exercising is more pleasant as you don't have this heavy weight......recovery was a breeze for me 4 weeks off work and back to exercise etc in 6 weeks.....so ladies I urge you if you were even contemplating it......DO IT!!!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I am 45 years old. It takes time. It is going on a year for me with a net to date loss of more than 30lbs. My intake varies from 1400- 1800 daily. I log everyday. I exercise 30-60 minutes daily. It is not easily but, I just do it. When the weight starts dropping, it is so motivating.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I will be 43 next month and have lost 40 lbs (took about 10 months) and I by no means feel like I look old. Just keep at, you will look and feel amazing. :smile: Half the battle is how you feel on the inside.
  • nature88
    nature88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info about the weights. I need to get back with the Y. 59 yrs young and am losing to be healthy a long time.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    In my city the bars card everyone who looks 30 and under. I just turned 44 and got asked for my id two weeks ago. :) Bouncer did some big math, did a double take and said "Good work, girl!" I gave him a hug and had an awesome night!

If you feel strong and proud of what you're doing you will carry yourself differently. True confidence is beautiful!!! Trust me - if you believe you look your actual best you will look fabulous!
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    oupsssssss ladies there are a lot of us ladies over 60 years old :blushing: and losing weight ....so don't let age bother you and do what you have to :huh: ...no more excuses...I have lost 30 pounds on another program like MFP.. If we can do it and we are over 60 imagine what you ladies can do in your 40's and 50's so gogogogo:drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I count as "older" since I'm just 40, but...

b-a-bikini-oct.jpg

from11-5-10-2.jpg

I don't want to compare myself to 20 year olds, but I'll gladly compare myself to a 19 year old me.

jeanie-copy.jpg

I'm 5'5 and bounce between 132-135 pounds. I lift weights 3x a week (Stronglifts 5x5) and run 3x a week (about 12-15 miles a week). I ate between 1350-1500 plus exercise calories to lose, for a total of about 1700-2000 calories, and follow an "If it fits your macros" (IIFYM) way of eating. I don't eat "clean," or low carb or any other trend. I aim to get several servings of fruit and vegetables, plenty of water and a macro split of 50% carbs, 25% fat and 25% protein. I've had pizza at least once a week every week since joining here. Bagels, pasta, rice and baked potatoes are regular staples, too.

Currently, I'm eating about 2200-2300 calories to maintain. I stopped adding "exercise calories" and just go by TDEE now, because I didn't like having 1800 calorie days than 2600 calorie days. Easier this way.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have lost 85 pounds in the last year. My advice is to log your food everyday, exercise and don't try to lose too fast. Never throw in the towel.
  • SueMGordon
    Options
    I'm 51 and just starting on the journey of getting my weight under control for the first time since I gave birth the first time nearly 24 years ago. I agree it is slow and the weight fluctuates wildly for no obvious reason so I stick to the calorie limit (most of the time) and have started the c25k. I'm toying with the idea of doing weights but don't know where to start. However the one thing that I do to stop getting discouraged is that I only record the weight when it goes down!
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 45. I lost 50 pounds on my own, then hit a plateau. This was despite the fact that I was running 4 days a week, doing strength training the other days, and following a vegan diet. Logging my food intake is what helped me break through - too many calories in! I was eating through my workouts, and then some!! Once I started tracking, I lost an additional 18 lbs (Livestrong), and 4 more here on MFP. I have 6 lbs to go - these have been the hardest!! Hang in there. It can happen!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!