Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am 56, menopausal, short and never been a sporty exercising sort of person! I am very sedentary; am quite happy sitiing with a book for hours.

I have lost 53lbs and am 4lbs from my target. You can do it, if I can. It was slow but partly that was deliberate. I love food adn can honestly say I have rarely felt hungry. I discovered a love of walking, have started running and visit the gym fairly regularly.
  • sherryberry038
    Options
    Bump (I want to read everyone's comments when I get off work)
  • pwtaa
    pwtaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to turn 44 and a little over 3 years ago I started my weight loss journey and lost 90 lbs. Now since pre menapause I am having a terrible time keeping it off and the tummy flab is driving me crazy. I just restarted fitness pal so I am glad that there are others going through similar challenges and I'm not going crazy.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 (52 next month) and I have now been on MFP for a year. I've taken off 28 lbs and 8 inches from my waist and most days I eat around 1700-2100 calories (even while I was losing). I've been maintaining since April - so it definitely can be done.

I cut out sugary foods, eat healthily and make sure I do exercise every day so that I burn more than I eat.

One of the best books I've read this year is aimed at menopausal women. It's called 'Younger next year, for women'. You can buy it for a few pounds or dollars. It explains all about how your body works and why exercise must be a key part of your lifestyle. The writing style of one of the authors can be a bit 'schmaltzy' in places but the message is absolutely great. It completely changed my entire way of thinking. For years I saw exercise as 'chore' and now I realise that it's a gift to myself if I want to stay healthy into my old age. I'd really recommend it, and I'll bet anything that your thinking about your future and how healthy you want to be (and can be)in your old age will change.
  • Goddesskat
    Goddesskat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the positive feedback on older women joining this program. I hear all the excuses of Menopause and why we can't lose weight like the 20 and 30 year olds. It kind of scares me that we think this way. I just started here October 31st. I'm so motivated. I'm looking at all the charts to see where I can improve on my nutrition. I'm logging my intake every day and having a lot of fun with this program. It's like I've been given a tool that I never had before to help me. I know I've had knowledge about weight loss over the years and it works when I apply it. Time to take all these tools I have and make sure I make it work for me this time around. Knowing that you lost a significant amount of weight this year helps me to realize that if she can do it, I can do it too. I'm 58 years old with a spirit of about 30 years old. This body of mine has to reflect that at some point, so now it's my time to challenge myself to the My Pal Fitness Program for my own Well Being. I refuse to allow negative thinkers to thwart me from my vision of my Think Body Image. I'll stay my course and perhaps, I too might inspire one or two along the way !!! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to be stereotyped because of my age, let's not do that to the "youngsters" either. :flowerforyou:

Generalizations become stereotypes for a reason. Because they are usually true. The fact is that most youngsters do lose weight more easily, but every rule has exceptions. And even the general rule only applies to the physical aspects of losing weight. The psychological aspects aren't ruled by age.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • 01foxy
    01foxy Posts: 28
    Options
    I am 48 in 2 weeks. never been fitter or healthier in my life. Lost 35 lbs 2 years ago and been concentrating on getting back into shape and maintaining my weight.

I FEEL fantastic! My husband approves too!!
  • bhfood
    bhfood Posts: 77
    Options
    absolutely not! I hope you haven't! I'm 55 and I know t's harder but I am post-menopausal and hypothyroid. I admit it is harder and I have to eat way less and exercise more than I ever thought but I'm losing....slowly. ya just gotta step it up on the exercise, at least that's what's working for me. I lost only 8 lbs in 90 days and have 45 to go but I know it's for lifechange. you can do it and friend me.
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    Hi i'm almost in the 40's mom of two kids by c-section, is so true is harder after the 20's and 30's, but that only mean work harder, i'm not a succes storie yet but i'm on my way; keep your mind in your goal ( be fit and healthy).

you can add me if you want. :)
  • anaoliver63
    anaoliver63 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am 49, post menopausal and have loss 28 pounds since July 2012. We can do this!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in Feb (so nearly 41 OMG!!!) I have found it extremely difficult to lose weight. I feel I am having to do 10 times more than I ever did when i was 20 something in order to lose the weight.

I have managed to lose inches and body fat but my weight has not changed for the last 5 months (see my profile pic). I have just finished doing Insanity and I just started ChaLean Extreme on Monday. I feel in order to shift the way I look, whether it's weight or toning up I literally have to go above and beyond and therefore tired a lot of the time.

good luck everyone - I guess our journey will be longer than the 20 somethings. x
  • BlueJue2
    Options
    NOOO! No throwing in MFP. Haha just kidding. It is harder the older we get. 5 years ago I lost 50 lbs at twice the speed I am going now. I am 43 and pre-menopausal and doing it. The progress is frustratingly slow but it does happen. I have 59 lbs to go yet, feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Lot of older people on here...Is 56 old? Naw! I have 2 teenagers, can't be old. But I am fat and tired of being tired. Am excited. Have lost 16 in 9 weeks. Was pretty easy to do on MFP. Don't think I coulda done it without mfp and all my buddies here! Yeah!

You can do this if you want to. If its for yourself and no one else.

Now 16 lbs doesn't show much but 30 lbs will! and that is not far away! woot! Hoping to be down 45 lbs by March. I love to garden and its been very difficult to do lately. Work 20 min to 30 and I need a break. It sucks so I am looking forward to being a lot more fit by March!

I am on a beautiful journey... join in with the rest of us!
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Next month I will celebrate my 67th birthday. Started last February and have lost about 55 lbs. I should be in One-derland by the end of this month. And, it isn't just the weight. I joined a gym 2 months ago and hired a personal trainer. Now, if you'll all excuse me, I must get ready to go do my strength training! It is never too late! But for all you 40 somethings, my recommendation is to do it now and enjoy your coming years.
  • katell52
    Options
    Okay, you want an older woman success story? Well, here I go. First off, at 53 years old I weighed 210#. I'm 5'8" so should be around 160#. I tried to lose and sucessfully took off 15 pounds in about about 7 months. Not fantastic, but then I got stuck. I contacted a weight loss clinic, that uses Medifast as their food plan. I went from 195# to 160# in 5 months (35#'s lost) with them, then lost another 10#'s on my own at the maintenance stage. So that's a total of 60 pounds. Sure I was a little flabby, but after loosing the first 50 pounds I really started to exercise, walking 3 miles 3-5 times a week, doing a morning yoga/pilates/areobic workout 3 times a week. My girlfriend and I (both recently widowed) went dancing almost every Friday and sometimes Saturday too. At 54, almost 55 I could out dance most of the 30 somethings out there and some of the ones in their 20's, even the ones in good shape. I went from a size 18 to a size 6 with this 60 pound loss and felt fabulous!

Well, time marched on and the bad eating habits I had that had gotten me into the 210# range were not gone and I ended up gaining a good deal of the pounds back. When I was about 195 and just could not seem to keep the momentum going to take the weight off I found I could now buy Medifast on the web. So, I started the plan, on my own and am down to 176, a loss of 16 pounds so far. It's been pretty easy and I am hopeful to be at my goal of 160 by Christmas. I'm loosing an average of 2#'s a week and this time I intend to keep it off. I'm really thinking about what I eat and why I want to eat unhealthy things, over eat or snack out of loneliness or boredom. I've only just started exercising again, because of joint problems, but will keep it going to encourage my metabolism to stay high.

Bottom line, you're never too old to do the right thing. And losing excess weight to look good, feel good and just ensure better health, is ALWAYS the right thing.

Good luck ladies, you can do it! PS, I'm 60 years old now and feeling great as I manage my weight and my life.
    Kathy
  • katell52
    Options
    @gerripho - Good job Gerri! Keep up the good work!
    Kathy
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't expect to ever look 25 again, but at my age (58), I will be very happy to be thin...and never go back to fat.
  • Aimee2691
    Options
    I'm 38 and ive recently hit my 100 milestone. I will say for me I find that my body has reacted better than I expected. My starting weight was over 300 so I was pretty large. While I do have a little sag going on in certain places ie: my arms. The rest has toned up pretty well. But I do weight train as well as do cardiograph. So the weights have made a huge difference. I don't feel like I'm just eh or look eh...lol I feel great and I think that shows. Don't get discouraged you can do it. As long as you feel great the rest will follow!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP at the end of Aug, on my 49th birthday, with a goal to lose 73 by the time I hit 50. (or at least get very close). I wouldn't put myself into the 'success story' category just yet, but I am going strong at 21 pounds gone so far. I have however surrounded myself with a slew of women around my age that have, and are succeeding at losing weight and getting healthier. Feel free to Friend request me and I will introduce you to them all! They are all amazing! They inspire, motivate, and support me tremendously on this journey to fitness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!