1000 calorie deficit NOT for people with healthy BMI

Options

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    it's a general guideline, something to be generally aware of and a tool to use to help you assess your overall health. It really depends on if you think you can be honest about your body. If you think you are to harsh in your critisism of your body, then you should rely more on tools and less on your perception. I.E. tape measurements, body fat percentages, BMI, heart rate, and of course the scale.
    The idea is to get where you need to be without going to extremes. Expect things to not go as smoothly as the math says they should. Expect that you WILL become healthier, but that doesn't mean you will lose the weight you think you should (although in most cases that is also the reality). Expect to have weeks that you feel like you haven't budged an inch. It's all part of the process. But after everything is said and done, if you do it slowly, it will be SOOO much easier to maintain and be happy with your new body!
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    it's a general guideline, something to be generally aware of and a tool to use to help you assess your overall health. It really depends on if you think you can be honest about your body. If you think you are to harsh in your critisism of your body, then you should rely more on tools and less on your perception. I.E. tape measurements, body fat percentages, BMI, heart rate, and of course the scale.
    The idea is to get where you need to be without going to extremes. Expect things to not go as smoothly as the math says they should. Expect that you WILL become healthier, but that doesn't mean you will lose the weight you think you should (although in most cases that is also the reality). Expect to have weeks that you feel like you haven't budged an inch. It's all part of the process. But after everything is said and done, if you do it slowly, it will be SOOO much easier to maintain and be happy with your new body!

Well said and thanks.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • banks1850
    Options
    yet another bump
  • banks1850
    Options
    bump
  • banks1850
    Options
    boop
  • banks1850
    Options
    wanted to give this a quick bump
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I wish there were certain posts that people have to read before they can sign up for MFP!

Or some sort of disclaimer that people need to read first.

One site that I tried out before finding MFP made you enter in your health issues and when I plugged in diabetic, a warning popped up that that site's recommendations and suggested menus were not to be used for diabetics. It still let me sign up but I had to agree to the understanding that their guidelines weren't intended for people in my medical condition.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    bump
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
    :tongue:

Another Monday with 0lbs lost,:grumble: and I needed to re-read this... 23 BMI, so Banks (and all of you) has inspired me to just keep truckin along...
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I find it very very hard to trust BMI calculators on the internet without a doctor.

BMI calcs don't account for young people, people (generally) under twenty, the very short, the very petite, etc. Or the fit.

Your body is very adaptable. It takes a long time to go into said "starvation" mode. The reason why people lose 10 and gain ten is because they go back to their old habits, yeah.

You don't just automatically burn muscle and keep fat! You generally lose water, some fat, and eventaully your muscles lose some volume (weight), including muscles like the heart (but that comes later).

It isn't necessarily unsafe to lose that ten pounds for people with only ten pounds to lose and keep it off in 6 weeks or so if they continue a healthy lifestyle. However, I don't reccomend a 1000 calorie deficit for many (unless you're generally at 2200 calories a day, but that's hard to believe...) in terms of what you eat.

-500 eating and -500 exercising is maybe doable, depending on the person.

I mean, I know guys that can easily lose 10 lbs by cutting back on the burgers and hitting the gym.

As far as BMI RANGE...eh...my BMI range allows me to be anywhere from 109 to 135 pounds...so essentially a size 0 to a size 10. That's a lot of sizes. And the 135 would have me wide-faced, spilling over my jeans, huge-breasted, slow, zit faced and miserable.

Actually 109 has me looking and feeling a little awkward and I'm spilling over stuff and out of my underwear!

(And before you tell me to tighten, I happen to have fantastic legs and abs underneath the post-baby skin and I gave birth three years ago.)

One of the main reasons why I'm struggling so much to lose the weight is because of PCOS (google it), not because I inhaled Ben and Jerry's for six months...but anyway.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Banks,

What if you don't have a healthy BMI? What if your BMI is in the obese range? I'm assuming that you can afford a greater calorie deficit than 1000, but is there any research on what is actually safe?

I ask because my BMI is still in the "obese" range. (I can't tell you how much it hurt to say that). Up until the last two weeks I' ve been losing weight steadily eating approximately 1500 to 1600 calories a day and doing at least one hour of exercise daily. Over the last two weeks, for various reasons, I've increased my calorie intake to 1700 to 1800 and I've gained 1 pound. All weight loss seems to have stopped dead cold.

I usually burn at least 500-800 calories in exercise daily. I've set MFP for a 2lb a week loss and I usually end up with about 300 or so calories left over for the day. Now, I only estimate portion sizes but I'm pretty honest and I recognize that the calories burned are probably inflated since machines are notoriosly inaccurate.

That said, I'm a little frustrated and trying to find out if the problem is too few calories or too many.

Actually, there is research on that. I'd have to do some digging to find the article by Lyle McDonald, but he's written a lot of them about a lot of stuff, and one of my favorite is on the acceptable caloric deficit based on body fat %. The general consensus is that one lb of fat will supply 31cal of energy per day. So, if you have 10 lbs of body fat, it can supply 310 cals a day, meaning that doesn't have to come from your muscle. If you have 30 lbs of body fat, it can supply 930 cals of energy per day. I'll use my measurements as an example.

I weigh around 132 normally, and my BF is about 20%. 132*.20=26.4. I have 26.4 lbs of body fat, so I can support of a deficit of 818 cals per day, maximum. That's not 2lbs per week, but it's still a large deficit. However, when you pair that against what I burn in a day (~2400 cals), I still have to eat at least 1600 calories a day (2400-800=1600).

If I were to eat in a 1000 calorie deficit, 200cal a day would have to come from somewhere else--muscle mass. At the end of the week I'd be losing about 1.5 lbs of fat and 1/2 lb of muscle, which is really awful progress actually. After dropping just 6lbs of fat, I'd be down almost half a year's worth of muscle built! (Yes, it does take that long to build a couple pounds of muscle as a trained, natural female hehe....none of this 'bulking up and looking like a man' nonsense.):tongue:

Forgot to note that some "smaller" people actually have higher fat to muscle ratios than "bigger" folk!

(like me, all packed around my belly, thankee hormones!!)
  • JJAE53
    JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Guess what time it is? It's bump time!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Banks,

What if you don't have a healthy BMI? What if your BMI is in the obese range? I'm assuming that you can afford a greater calorie deficit than 1000, but is there any research on what is actually safe?

I ask because my BMI is still in the "obese" range. (I can't tell you how much it hurt to say that). Up until the last two weeks I' ve been losing weight steadily eating approximately 1500 to 1600 calories a day and doing at least one hour of exercise daily. Over the last two weeks, for various reasons, I've increased my calorie intake to 1700 to 1800 and I've gained 1 pound. All weight loss seems to have stopped dead cold.

I usually burn at least 500-800 calories in exercise daily. I've set MFP for a 2lb a week loss and I usually end up with about 300 or so calories left over for the day. Now, I only estimate portion sizes but I'm pretty honest and I recognize that the calories burned are probably inflated since machines are notoriosly inaccurate.

That said, I'm a little frustrated and trying to find out if the problem is too few calories or too many.

Actually, there is research on that. I'd have to do some digging to find the article by Lyle McDonald, but he's written a lot of them about a lot of stuff, and one of my favorite is on the acceptable caloric deficit based on body fat %. The general consensus is that one lb of fat will supply 31cal of energy per day. So, if you have 10 lbs of body fat, it can supply 310 cals a day, meaning that doesn't have to come from your muscle. If you have 30 lbs of body fat, it can supply 930 cals of energy per day. I'll use my measurements as an example.

I weigh around 132 normally, and my BF is about 20%. 132*.20=26.4. I have 26.4 lbs of body fat, so I can support of a deficit of 818 cals per day, maximum. That's not 2lbs per week, but it's still a large deficit. However, when you pair that against what I burn in a day (~2400 cals), I still have to eat at least 1600 calories a day (2400-800=1600).

If I were to eat in a 1000 calorie deficit, 200cal a day would have to come from somewhere else--muscle mass. At the end of the week I'd be losing about 1.5 lbs of fat and 1/2 lb of muscle, which is really awful progress actually. After dropping just 6lbs of fat, I'd be down almost half a year's worth of muscle built! (Yes, it does take that long to build a couple pounds of muscle as a trained, natural female hehe....none of this 'bulking up and looking like a man' nonsense.):tongue:

Forgot to note that some "smaller" people actually have higher fat to muscle ratios than "bigger" folk!

(like me, all packed around my belly, thankee hormones!!)

That's absolutely true...that's why this equation relies solely on the pounds of body fat that an individual has, rather than the entire body weight. It completely disregards height and net weight (except when used to calculate body fat) because even slender-looking people can still have high amounts of body fat.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Shameless self-promoting BUMP here. nothing more, nothing less.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • banks1850
    Options
    gonna bump this one too. :yawn:
  • banks1850
    Options
    bumpy bump bump