can you pin point a moment?

Options
124»

Replies

• SLRamirez2012
    Options
    When I went away to college. I stopped running and started eating... I don't even know how much..
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I got married and took up my husband's eating habits. :blushing: I gained about 15 pounds. My husband packed on a few after he quit smoking. After a few years of marriage, I was diagnosed with a digestive disorder. I had to adjust my cooking and eating to avoid being ill, so to make the transition easier, my husband followed my lead and started eating healthier, too. It's been good for both of us. I am the same weight I was when we met and he is just a bit heavier than he was when I found him. :wink:
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've always been big. But 7 years ago I got into my first really serious relationship and I ballooned up. Probably because he always told me how great I looked.... I gained about 40 lbs. I left him after 4 years.

After a few bfs I have now been single for over a year and since then so far have lost about 15 lbs. And wanting to start my search for Mr. Right. lol
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    When I got laid off after seeing my job posted on CL. Of course they denied it, but DUH. I'm not stupid. That was in 2007. I gained 90lbs that year. Disgusting.
  • martintanz
    Options
    I was doomed the minute I was born into a family that cooked and ate the standard American diet. It first started to show itself about puberty.

Something to that, for sure. In college, I spent a year abroad and lost 15 or 20 lbs without really trying. (Was still big by European standards) Put it back on within months of coming home.
  • ezebra82
    ezebra82 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was depressed when I was with my baby daddy. The weight seemed to find me when I was with him. Since he's been gone I've lost 78 pounds, but I've got a lot more to go! Though I can't blame it all on him, I've always been heavy.... since I was a little kid.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    when my mom started using all the child support money from my dad to build up her collection of beanie babies instead of buying good food... so i survived on popcorn, poptarts and cookies. i remember having a can of corn for dinner one night.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    After grad school when I started working 60-70 hour weeks as an auditor. I gained steadily for 2 years, then got a new job in May of this year and started losing. I'm back up to 60-70 hour weeks, but the good eating and exercising habits that I created over the summer (when I was working a normal 45 hour week) are carrying me through thankfully.
  • pengem789
    Options
    When I moved in with a guy who would not eat homecooked food and was only happy when I was sitting on a couch with him.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    When I became comfortable enough to eat in front of my boyfriend (he's now my husband)... 10 years ago...
    Take-out, lazy nights in with lots of snacks, I stopped playing volleyball so I could focus on graduating, so no activity..
    I gained 30 lbs in 2 years, then I got pregnant.. it just went up and up and up from there!
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I didn't get fat until after I got married and had my 2nd and 3rd children. I could blame it on getting married, having kids and never losing the baby weight... but in reality I was just lazy. I could have exercised, I could have not eaten as much junk as I did but I didn't. No one else's fault, especially not my children's fault, for my own laziness and inability to care enough about my health to stop the weight creep on to begin with.
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    I was an incredibly picky eater growing up. Until my late teens I was incredibly thin. I wouldn't eat much of anything.

Then I tried a hamburger and the flood gates opened. I was trying all kinds of new things. Fried chicken, pizza with toppings, pork, beef, ribs and so many other things.

I made up for 17 years of eating the same three things in the last decade.

Now I'm really turning it around. I have yo-yo dieted so many times over the years but this feels fundamentally different. I am working out and eating RIGHT not just low calories and I feel fantastic.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    For me it happend around my mid 20's. I had always been thin but curvy, about 135 at 5'8" (which on me was quite thin). Went up to 140 over a couple of years because I never paid any attention to what I ate other than having anything I wanted. Then at 26 I finished university and switched from my active evening and weekends job to a desk job with long hours where I would eat out at the food court in the mall across the street most days and have muffins and lattes for breakfast. At this time I was also put on a medication that causes weight gain as well (which I've now been off for 2.5 years and shouldn't ever need it again). So I packed on 50 pounds in under two years once I started that job. It was a very stressful job too which I think had a lot to do with it.'

When I hit 190 that's when I knew I had to do something. I didn't actually own a scale. I got on one at a friends house and was shocked.

By that time I had a new job which I could walk to, and I started making small changes and went off the medication. Over the past 2 years I've lost 41 pounds so I'm almost back to where I started. I only got really serious about getting fit in the last 6 or 7 months, and aabout half of my weight loss has occured in that period. It took a long time for me to develop my will power in terms of not just eating whatever I feel like!