Has anyone tried DDP yoga

Options

Replies

• danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Mine arrived today......very happy to find them waiting for me when I got home from work.....6 days from the US to the UK.....happy me!!!

Awesome - hope that you enjoy them as much as I do!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Diagnosis from doctor for the dodgy knee....chrondomalacia patellae......treatment recommended = yoga!!!! Hurrah!!!!!
  • danwood2
    Options
    Diagnosis from doctor for the dodgy knee....chrondomalacia patellae......treatment recommended = yoga!!!! Hurrah!!!!!

Sucks about the diagnosis... but at least you have a good recommended treatment. So have you tried it? What do you think?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Mine arrived today......very happy to find them waiting for me when I got home from work.....6 days from the US to the UK.....happy me!!!

I would like to try these - do they play in a UK DVD player (Region 2, PAL)? There are a couple of DVDs I'd like to order from the US but I'm wary if I'm not sure I'd be able to play them.
  • olemanjake
    Options
    Okay. Going on Day 90. Love this program. If you haven't tried it yet, I have one question for you.... Why not?

If you don't try you don't know what you're missing...and believe me you're missing a whole lot!
  • olemanjake
    Options

I had knee surgery June 28th.... Doc told me yoga instead of doing rehab. It works.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It is funny, my husband thinks DDP is a bit too gruff for his tastes but I like it more than the 'seek inner piece as you stretch' types of yogas. I've been doing it semi-regularly and trying to fit it into my new gym routine. I do downward dogs & many other yoga stretches almost daily even if I don't do a video.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    This seems like an interesting type of exercise. I was thinking it was full on yoga, but I see that it is indeed exercise that incorporates yoga poses. I'm assuming there is no spiritual/meditative aspect involved?

It took me a long time to realize when people were talking about yoga, that it was actually an exercise routine. I have practiced for years, but only in the actual yoga mantra of meditation and spiritual awareness.

I think it is great that people have developed exercises that incorporate these poses. The stretching is so peaceful for the body!

ETA: I'm thinking I want to order!
  • olemanjake
    Options
    This seems like an interesting type of exercise. I was thinking it was full on yoga, but I see that it is indeed exercise that incorporates yoga poses. I'm assuming there is no spiritual/meditative aspect involved?

It took me a long time to realize when people were talking about yoga, that it was actually an exercise routine. I have practiced for years, but only in the actual yoga mantra of meditation and spiritual awareness.

I think it is great that people have developed exercises that incorporate these poses. The stretching is so peaceful for the body!

ETA: I'm thinking I want to order!

It's not full on yoga. No spiritual/meditative aspect per se. The only 'mantra' is 'own your life'. I know that sounds a bit over the top, but it's sincere. Check out my site and my review if you're interested!

[link]http://www.downdogjunction.com/ddpyoga-review-revisited/ [/link] This is my review of the program 90 days in.

Hope that helps!
  • olemanjake
    Options
    It is funny, my husband thinks DDP is a bit too gruff for his tastes but I like it more than the 'seek inner piece as you stretch' types of yogas. I've been doing it semi-regularly and trying to fit it into my new gym routine. I do downward dogs & many other yoga stretches almost daily even if I don't do a video.

I've found downward dog and catcher-into-thunderbolt to be VERY good pre-run stretches!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well I'm loving it! The dynamic resistance takes some work to get used to but I love the fact that there's no spiritual aspect...just the exercise part.

For those in the UK the DVD's are multi-region discs and will play on any player....mine is Region 2 only player and I've had no problems at all.
  • danwood2
    Options
    I've found downward dog and catcher-into-thunderbolt to be VERY good pre-run stretches!
    [/quote]

I noticed that the catcher-into-thunderbolt really makes the knees pop/crack for me. My knees are alway prone to do this though. I'm hitting Disc 3 a lot lately but am HORRIBLE at the "Stand Up"... stupid balance - ha!

I also noticed that when trying to do the upper dynamic resistance, I relax my lower half. I'm almost 3 months into now and have gotten better at flexing everything, still catch myself every once in a while though. It is a learning curve I tell ya! :happy:
  • Duckman73
    Duckman73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nice to find to this thread! I've just started week 10 of the beginner's program, and I love the convenience of being able to a great, zero-impact workout without leaving my living room. I saw DDP demonstrating the "Ignition" moves on an episode of Inside MMA and knew this was perfect for me.

I have bad knees and a bad back, but I can tell that my flexibility has greatly increased from doing the photos. Plus, I thought my weight loss had stalled to maybe half a pound a week (I had already lost 18 pounds from diet changes alone before starting the exercise program). Well, when I did my 60 day check-up this week, I found I had only lost 2 pounds in the last 30 days (still working on the diet changes). But to my shock and amazement, I had lost 2 inches off my waist, an inch from my hips, and an inch from my calfs! The workout does the job of toning and building lean muscle mass while increasing your flexibility.

If anyone else is interested, check out DDP Yoga clips on YouTube, go to TeamDDPYoga.com to visit the community, and even just the DDP Yoga site where you can buy the DVDs. I purchased the entire package (minus the addition of the heart rate monitor) that included all the DVDs, a poster of "The Diamond Dozen" positions, a workout and nutrition program guide, and received the bonus of all the workouts in MP3 format to do them anywhere with my iPod (after getting familiar with them on the DVDs first).

I cannot recommend this program enough. If watching Arthur's testimonial video doesn't move you or inspire you in some way, somthing ain't right.
  • casasnovas12
    Options
    I started this program this week, however I finished Insanity and I started to do a hybrid between both workouts, once the DDP workout schedule gets thougher and the days off start dissapearing I will do it full time. Because of my job I can't follow a strict diet or sometimes eat like 2 hours so that part would be hard but anyway at least I'm doing something...:wink:
  • olemanjake
    Options
    casanovas12 -

You don't have to wait to up your workout routine. You can mix and match: do FB+RHC in the mornings and then an afternoon Diamond Cutter.... that adds up to about an hour and 30 min per day...it's crazy but can be done.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Have been real interested in these after seeing Arthur's story about 6 months ago, but haven't ordered them.
    Options
    Wow totally forgot about this post!

thank you to all for your responses. Im definately interested in giving them a go. Are they good for someone who hasnt exercised for a long time!
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my sister does DDP she lives in america i am in the uk, we skype weekly and i can see huge changes! there isnt much difference in weight between us but since she has been doing DDP i have seen a huge change shes far more toned and her body has a lot of definition i really should take it up >< x
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Glad to see there are others doing this program. i discovered this because a buddy of mine posted Arthur's videon on Facebook and when I got to the end and realized he had achieved these results from DDP I immediately ordered.

What appealed to me so much was that DDP developed this progam as a result of a back injury very similar to mine, I herniated my L4 a couple of years ago doing cross-fit.

I started working out again back in March and through a combo of MFP, and using Power 90, I lost around 30 pounds. But I started slacking off a couple of months ago, put back on ten pounds and my sciatic nerve pain has seemed to come back with a vengeance. I started doing Power 90 again but the work out seems a bit tedious now and the pain hascome back with a vengeance so I thought I would give this a try.

Anyway, I just got the discs yesterday, I did the Diamond Dozen this morning, and I am planning on starting Energy tomorrow but I have a few questions:

1. What level should I start with? I am thinking of just doing Energy for at least one week but I also would prefer a bit longer of a work-out.

2. How many days per week can you do these work-outs? The guide seems to have an every other day schedule but I prefer to work out every day. I suppose I could mix it up and do some additional cardio on the off days.

3.. Is it necessary to supplement in addiional resistance training to maintain muscle mass and get definition? My overall goal is two lose weight and just feel healthy but I also want to at least have a semblance of definition.

Thanks!
  • KettydeDios
    KettydeDios Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump