I HATE RUNNING!

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it. I was running a couple miles a day on the treadmill and decided to start running outside at the end of July. Hated it. Well, honestly just disliked it a lot but I still did it some because it was a good calorie burn. One of the guys I work with runs all the time and he showed me what I was doing wrong. The answer, quit worrying about how fast you run and just run. Run at a comfortable pace and enjoy it.

I took his advice and I went from don't like, to sort of like, to like, and now I love it. I ran over 6 miles this morning, 4 miles yesterday, 5 miles the day before that... I might be addicted. Give it some time. It grows on you.

^^ quoted for truth^^
  • RagenGBrown
    Options
    I did at first too, even thought I ALWAYS wanted to do it but couldn't because I was so out of shape. I started the c25k app and it helps!! I highly recommend it!
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you hate it...don't do it. Find something else that you enjoy! Coming from experience, running isn't actually that great for your body. It puts a lot of impact on your muscles and the more you run, the smarter your body becomes at storing the fat so that it has energy for long runs. I trained for a half marathon and didn't lose a pound. Try weight lifting....you'll see better results and burn more calories resting because the muscle in your body burns more calories than fat. Just a thought...if you hate eating something you don't make yourself eat it...if you hate a certain type of exercise find something you do like so that you can be more successful!
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    If you hate running then don't do it.

Find an exercise that you enjoy and will stick to. If you dislike doing something you're not going to do it.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with this. If that were the case, then I never would have lost weight. I hated exercise at first! If after giving it a fair chance, you still feel the same way, then ok decide if you still want to continue. But give it a fair shot.

Deciding to lose weight and exercise is hard, and you may not like it a first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I absolutely agree with you 100%!!! I didn't like exercising at all but I'm to the point where I can run 2 miles!! I'm on week 6 day 1 of the Couch to 5k. I love it.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've only scanned a few replies, but yah, if you truly hate it and you're only doing it for calorie burn.. find something else.
    If you WANT to love it, than try and stick with it. It sounds like you're talking yourself out of doing it. I find myself doing that too. I just did my first 5k at Disney this weekend (I did do a 4k the weekend before that), and as soon as I started, I looked out at the hundreds of people on the trail winding in front of me, and I saw a lot people walking it. I told myself "I can't do this. I can't keep running this far.". And I kicked those doubts out of my head and I completed it. I squeezed my way thru all the walkers and ran the whole way. I ran so much, I actually kept going past the finish line. I forgot to stop! If it weren't for the lady standing there with the finishers medal, I might've ran even more!

I have never been a runner. I started the C25k program. I actually 'graduated' it the day I did my 5k. And I remember when I was doing the C25k run/walk intervals, I actually was loathing when the voice command would tell me to start running again. But as I saw myself improve, I started getting excited to hear the prompts telling me to run. I didn't want to walk anymore. I loved seeing how my body could adapt and improve! My body surprised me! And another thing that has helped me, besides not listening to that voice in my head that says I can't, is deep breathing. When I feel I'm getting winded, I slow down and concentrate on taking deep breaths.

Another thing that helps me stay excited -- cute costumes/outfits to wear to races! I've got some great ideas! My next two races are Glow (glow in the Dark) and a Pirate Invasion. FUN!!!:laugh:
  • mommycullen
    mommycullen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    my motto has always been I will not run unless I am being chased by a wilderbeast.

But I am on week 3 of the Couch 2 5K app and even though I feel like I might die, I dunno, there is something about the feeling of accomplishment when I do it and DONT die. LOL

There are tons of other things you can do besides running that are easier on the joints and stuff.

But there is something kind of bad *kitten* about doing something you dont think you can do.

Good luck!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Simple fact, running isn't for everyone. I"m glad. Then there would be way to many at all the races.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Running is not for me.

Still did a 'comfortable' 5k earlier.

Done a couple of 10k races and plan to do more.

Longest is 7.something miles; with 49 miles road cycling that day too; not a massive fan of that either.

However, we are talking very easy ways to get the exercise in and generally get fitter.
    Also, the fact I don't like it makes it more of a personal challenge.

From friends that run, most have found the 'fun' bit by the point I'm at.

If you're not enjoying it, I'd certainly consider looking at other sports - cycling is another obvious one which while it needs a bit more kit, can be done easily with little hassle.
    I'd prefer to be mountain biking or off-road motorbiking, but both require a good bit more effort rather than a quick half hour around the block.
  • runninggal30
    runninggal30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running. If you hate running then do something else you LOVE!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, don't do it. Find something that you like. I used to hate running in high school and college, but for some reason I have the drive to run now. I just want to. I like it when I'm doing it also. I enjoy it. Sure, I may be slow and out of breath, but I still enjoy it. It's a challenge.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just put up 2 items on my running. The thing I always liked about running is that it is the quickest way to burn calories. Ant excersize you do is going to cause your body to hurt somewhere. If you run everyday your body gets used to it really quick, however maybe you have to do it every other day until you get used to it. if you do it once a week or so it is always going to hurt and be unomfortible becasuse you don't ever get used to it. run kind of slow until you get into shape. I recommended to a lot of people starting out to walk and when your legs are loosened up then run easy until you are tired, then don't stop, just go back to walking, then when you are comfortible start running again. You keep that up and in several days you will notice that you are running more and walking less and you are losing weight

Let me know how you are doing

Basil
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I poste this on a friend's page:

I don't get that. It's the only time I feel free. When I lift I feel RAWR, when I teach I feel like a caricature of myself . . . my face but brighter and glossier, when I run I feel free. When I run the crap stays a quarter mile behind and I finally catch up to all the answers. The methodical thump thump of feet hitting floor is enough to induce meditation, and then come the hills. Lean in, grit teeth, head down, and attack.

But not every exercise is for everyone. Running Is right for me, do what's right for you.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I poste this on a friend's page:

I don't get that. It's the only time I feel free. When I lift I feel RAWR, when I teach I feel like a caricature of myself . . . my face but brighter and glossier, when I run I feel free. When I run the crap stays a quarter mile behind and I finally catch up to all the answers. The methodical thump thump of feet hitting floor is enough to induce meditation, and then come the hills. Lean in, grit teeth, head down, and attack.

But not every exercise is for everyone. Running Is right for me, do what's right for you.

I love this. I agree. Me too. That's what happened to me tonight on a run, and there is no other high. Not even sex. Running is a bit of an enigma -- a love/hate relationship. It's difficult, painful, but so freaking freeing. It's not for everyone.

But my guess is you haven't had the "encounter" yet. That moment when you go out for run feeling like crap, run through tears, and run right past your own emotion. I would encourage you to go for a run on a really bad day. Leave your watch, cell, Garmin and HRM at home. Run, think, and get in touch with what we were born to do since birth. Crawl, walk, run.

Or try Zumba, spinning, P90X. You'll find your thing.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you hate running then don't do it.

Find an exercise that you enjoy and will stick to. If you dislike doing something you're not going to do it.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with this. If that were the case, then I never would have lost weight. I hated exercise at first! If after giving it a fair chance, you still feel the same way, then ok decide if you still want to continue. But give it a fair shot.

Deciding to lose weight and exercise is hard, and you may not like it a first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Nobody is telling her not to exercise. Running is simply one form of exercise. People have been suggesting all sorts of other options for her in place of running.

It's more important to find something that she enjoys doing and will continue to do in order to get fit and lose the weight. If she hates running she will be less likely to want to get out there and do it, which isn't the goal.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running too. I had to for my bootcamp and noticed it got easier and easier and how many calories it burned. I then started setting small goals. i ran 1k without stopping. then 2, and then when i was going to shoot for 3 I didnt feel I needed to stop so I kept running till I did 4 miles!!! The next time I changed my route and ran 5 miles! Then it got cold. LOL. I live in canada and I dont do winter running outside. i still go 3 miles or so on the treadmill but I found I really like to zone out and run outside! Surprised myself!
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I don't see the point in doing something that you hate, it's just becomes a chore instead of being fun. Try a few different sports / exercises til you find something you genuinely love doing.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I love this. I agree. Me too. That's what happened to me tonight on a run, and there is no other high. Not even sex. Running is a bit of an enigma -- a love/hate relationship. It's difficult, painful, but so freaking freeing. It's not for everyone.

I feel exactly this way about Yoga! Some poses are uncomfortable but by breathing into the discomfort is the way to relaxing and freeing that tight spot.

I have had an on-off relationship with running, most runs I have done in order to be a fit enough runner to do those runs I really wanted to do like the barefooted run on the beach or the meditational plod along woodland tracks. I have never been competitive.

Then I became far more involved in Yoga and now find I must be doing enough cardio or yogic breathing at least to be able to enjoy those special running moments without being out of breath.

I like running - sometimes - but I absolutely love Yoga.

The secret is to find something that you absolutely love better than sex and chocolate and you'll never look back.

edit: spelling
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in doing something that you hate, it's just becomes a chore instead of being fun. Try a few different sports / exercises til you find something you genuinely love doing.
    Can go out at any time for a run and the dog gets exercise too.
    Even cycling is a bit more hassle - more kit needed (lights with the long winter nights, better warmer and more waterproof stuff, glasses to keep the rain out of eyes etc).

I did actually have a run I didn't dislike too much.
    After yesterday's "santa fun run" (free santa costume included), I did an easy 5k, 5 minutes down on yesterday's pace with a housemate. Possibly because I only got 3.5 hours sleep last night; but more likely taking it easy because my right leg was a bit dodgy today, wasn't constantly disliking it - a start, maybe.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you have to run...find something else to do for cardio
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I ran my first mile at 270 pounds. The first mile ever in my entire life. And I was 33 at the time. Its all mind over matter. If you tell yourself you can do it, you can. But if you can't run the mile, just run intervals to start. 20 secs on 20 secs off and keep building up your endurance. You will get there. It gets easier as you get lighter. I'm up to 3 miles now. Will start shooting for 4 soon. You should know that the first mile is always the hardest even now for me. You will get there. Just keep at it. Oh and make sure you have some awesome tunes on your mp3 player.