Gender Specific Toys...

Options

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    That seems silly to me but hey what do I know. My son has a grill that he loves. If your son will play with it why not?!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I think your husband is being stupid. Gender stereotyping doesn't help anything in our society.

When my son was 4, he loved to play with baby dolls, so that's what I got him for Christmas (in addition to other things that he enjoyed (books) or were good for him developmentally (legos)). It's about your kids being happy, not about what makes you or anyone else comfortable or uncomfortable.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When my boys were little we bought them a kitchen (not girly colors) no big deal. I don't see that as a girly toy even though my daughter now has a kitchen too (diff one...old one fell apart). I never bought the boys dolls or anything like that, but she will play with their old cars/trucks and dolls.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Get it, like you said, most top chefs are men. Does your husband shy away from the kitchen in case it turns him all pink and fluffy?
    My boys bake with me, we make cupcakes and all sorts. Doesnt stop them shooting me in the back of the head with a nerf gun 10 minutes later!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Does your husband do any cooking in your home?

Get the kid the kitchen, FFS!
  • mhaight85
    Options
    I got my son a toy kitchen to play with while I cooked... he does not use it like intended. The cupboard and oven make a great hiding spot for his action figures, but he never pretends to cook with it! He likes toy kitchens everywhere else he goes, but not at home. Like others are saying, if he won't play with don't waste your money! My son is 3 and takes everything his daddy says very seriously...would your husband discourage your son from playing with the kitchen?

I like the idea someone else said about getting the grill instead of the kitchen, it's the same idea just more "manly."
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Get the kitchen for your son, and a cook book for your husband!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My soon to be 4 year old would like his own vacuum. His sister wants a remote control monster truck. They both like to play dress-up (sometimes as transformers/super heros, sometimes they are both princesses).

A kitchen is hardly gender specific - and even if he wanted a barbie doll, does it really matter?
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had a discussion about it when we were looking for Christmas ideas. If my son showed an interest we would get it. However, I do know we would hear about it from other males in the family. Men sometimes get weird ideas in their head about what is gender "appropriate". My sister and I played with dolls, my brother played with action figures.
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Does he ever show and interest in one when at the toy store? If he doesn't then you might end up with a toy that goes unused.

That is where I found out he really liked it. I dragged him out of the store crying about it. He plays with the one at the childcare at the grocery store.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I always choose the toys for the boys. It is a sacred bond. Do not mess with the father and son tradition. I see the toys my wife would buy boys and just shake my head. Men, we never grow up. So, we know what to buy for kids. I do not put my nose in the purchases for the girls. Now, I know all you ladies will be up in arms about this statement. Does not make it any less true.
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    Let your husband choose. Guys know guys...period.
    facepalm_girl.png
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Want a happy kid? Get him the kitchen.

Want a happy husband? Get the kid a truck.

psst - happy kids > happy spouses. Especially since a three year old can do some real damage with a toy truck he doesn't want. My dad has the scars to prove it...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My son will play with them anywhere but at home. He will play with the food though without the kitchen. Maybe you could compromise and get some food sets for him. There are some pretty cute, fun ones out there. My son had one where he could build hamburgers and hot dogs and pizza - all wooden pieces so they didn't break easily.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Does he ever show and interest in one when at the toy store? If he doesn't then you might end up with a toy that goes unused.

That is where I found out he really liked it. I dragged him out of the store crying about it. He plays with the one at the childcare at the grocery store.
    Then by all means, get it for him.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Get the kitchen for your son, and a cook book for your husband!
    ^Winner.

Even my husband thinks your husband is ridiculous. Get the kid the flippin kitchen if he wants it.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I don't know. My wife tried making me use her toys, and it was not fun at all. :sick: :frown: :embarassed:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Want a happy kid? Get him the kitchen.

Want a happy husband? Get the kid a truck.

psst - happy kids > happy spouses. Especially since a three year old can do some real damage with a toy truck he doesn't want. My dad has the scars to prove it...
    I'll bet you were so cute with your toy kitchen!
  • flabbyjay
    flabbyjay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't know. My wife tried making me use her toys, and it was not fun at all. :sick: :frown: :embarassed:

I agree 100%
  • gingerjen7
    Options

Then by all means, get it for him.
    Concur. What's your husband going to say? "No, son, you can't play with that, that's for girls. I have a penis, just like you, so you'll like what I say your going to like."