cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    With a topic like this, you must be digging for responses. I'll play...

Thanks to my cardio routine, I've managed to cut in half my BP medication. I was diagnosed at age 14 with borderline high blood pressure. At age 38, my doctor decided it was finally time to get me on medication. We had to up the dosage once to get the desired results. After implementing an interval cardio program, my BP dropped and I now take the lowest possible dose of the medication.

Then there is the triglyceride issues I've battled for years. Guess what, they too are now under control. As a matter of fact I went from low 400's to high 70's.

So, if good health is pointless, then you have a point. Otherwise, your point is pointless! :wink: :laugh:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If y'all haven't read the OP's profile, you need to. Right now. It is some of the funniest whackadoodle *kitten* I have ever read.

with utmost respect, brah. :flowerforyou:
    Eeeekkkkk, you're right!
    He has really cute love handles though. I'd like to give them a squeeze!:bigsmile: I'm a love handle girl... what can I say?
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I personally think both are good for the body. I am trying to include more weights than previously, however, I did recently read about how the heart is a muscle and needs a workout just like every other muscle in the body. I found that interesting. The article went into the importance of getting the heart muscle to a good cardio rate to improve the heart muscle/function itself. So, in that way I can see it as an important thing to incorporate into a person's life. I do find though that when I am lifting my weights, my heart rate does increase quite a bit then also so that is good.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If it's good enough for my heart, lungs and brain it's good enough for me. And, yes, more deficit please.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Huh...so the 42 pounds I've lost is just my imagination??

Huh...so the "on top of the world" feeling I get when I finish a 5K is pointless??

...whatever...
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Having just seen Zombieland*, I can say for certain that we need cardio to survive.
    Also, it makes us feel good mentally. Without cardio, I wouldn't have made it through my teens.

*Why in goddess name have i not seen this before last week?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who have muscles but can't use them the way the human body is meant to be used.

Athletes are a great example of how the human body should work. A lot of male gymnasts are hugely muscular but they can move incredibly fast. Weightlighting junkies do not have the aerobic capability or flexibility and are only achieving a small percentage of what the human body is capable of.

But, if you are purely in it for vanity then I guess the weights only method works. Until you die of heart failure anyway.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Until the zombies come.......

Seriously though I think the aerobic benefits are better here then with just strength training. I like to incorporate both.

Exactly. About the zombies....Oh and the 2nd part too.

I seriously need a running shirt that references zombies. Putting that on my Christmas wish list.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who have muscles but can't use them the way the human body is meant to be used.

Athletes are a great example of how the human body should work. A lot of male gymnasts are hugely muscular but they can move incredibly fast. Weightlighting junkies do not have the aerobic capability or flexibility and are only achieving a small percentage of what the human body is capable of.

But, if you are purely in it for vanity then I guess the weights only method works. Until you die of heart failure anyway.

Absolutely!
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options

did you seriously just relate "heart failure" to doing weights? please, show me the data backing up you claim.

and this thread only shows how people cannot think out side the box and do not read the OP correctly, using context clues form the first post.

let me rephrase what i said, people that ONLY DO CARDIO are waisting their time, when compared to people that only weight lift. come on. lets see who looks better? a guy that doesnt do any cardio but does weights only or a person that only does cardio and no weights.

wild example, A marathon Runner form Kenya (120lb) vs Arnold (220lb) on stage?

everyone here is spilling broscience on how "cardio" is the only type of exercise good for your heart. lol, EVERY EXERCISE IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEART.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    My vote is for the Kenyan marathon runner.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Trollololol still going strong I see.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My vote is for the Kenyan marathon runner.

The Kenyan will be able to outrun Arnold, so Arnold will be eaten by the zombie. It's just common sense. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Trollololol still going strong I see.

captain%2520barbosa%2520believe%2520in%2520troll%2520threads.jpg
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    and this thread only shows how people cannot think out side the box and do not read the OP correctly, using context clues form the first post.

let me rephrase what i said, people that ONLY DO CARDIO are waisting their time, when compared to people that only weight lift. come on. lets see who looks better? a guy that doesnt do any cardio but does weights only or a person that only does cardio and no weights.

That's a pretty asinine example though innit?

Both the runner and Arnold have trained very specifically dictated by the needs of their goals and respective sports. The average punter just doing cardio or just doing weights won't end up looking like either so the comparison is pointless.

You know what else is pointless?

This thread.

And your face. If you didn't have a nose.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options

That's a pretty asinine example though innit?

Both the runner and Arnold have trained very specifically dictated by the needs of their goals and respective sports. The average punter just doing cardio or just doing weights won't end up looking like either so the comparison is pointless.

You know what else is pointless?

This thread.

And your face. If you didn't have a nose.

im just face paliming @ the close minded people that cant take a hypothetical situation and get butt hurt because i challenge their beliefs.

then these same people bring strawman arguments that have nothing to do with the OP, just like this thread became pointless when they started talking about "heart health" or wtf "zombies" , it really shows how people are drones to one way of thinking and cant for a second entertain the thought of other ideas.

but hey im not claiming i know everything, but this thread has a bunch of psudo intellegent people.

ppl here: "oh you dont do cardio, your heart health suckz Luz!",
    "i lost X amount of weight doing cardio, so you must be wrong Lolzz",
    "troll thread LoLZz" , "calorie defecit all day everyday" .

seriously?

same people that say "you need carbs to work out or else you cant run a marthon or cycle for 40miles"

close minded people

inb4 you call me close minded for saying weight lifting is better then cardio
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

Umm....this is wrong. Period. Want to know what sport needs aerobic fitness? Living. I have genetically high blood pressure and no matter what I eat it stays high. If I get in 30-40 minutes of cardio a day my blood pressure magically drops. Your heart needs the activity. While lifting does raise your heart rate it doesn't offer the same benefits as cardio does for training your heart.

I think it's hilarious when people offer such general sweeping statements. Not everyone is the same.
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    i do cardio because if i didnt i dont think id be able to pass a pt test and end up getting kicked out of the army
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You need anabolic steroids to look like Arnold. I read his book and that's what he said.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well when I was 315 pounds I was more concerned with NOT building muscle so cardio it was! Plus, I really enjoyed the elliptical machine. Squats and lunges are about the extent of my "weight training"