cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    (and this, from the book brain rules)
    The human brain evolved under conditions of almost constant motion. From this, one might predict that the optimal environment for processing information would include motion. That is exactly what one finds. Indeed, the best business meeting would have everyone walking at about 1.8 miles per hour.

Researchers studied two elderly populations that had led different lifestyles, one sedentary and one active. Cognitive scores were profoundly influenced. Exercise positively affected executive function, spatial tasks, reaction times and quantitative skills.

So researchers asked: If the sedentary populations become active, will their cognitive scores go up? Yes, it turns out, if the exercise is aerobic. In four months, executive functions vastly improve; longer, and memory scores improve as well.

Exercise improves cognition for two reasons:

Exercise increases oxygen flow into the brain, which reduces brain-bound free radicals. One of the most interesting findings of the past few decades is that an increase in oxygen is always accompanied by an uptick in mental sharpness.
    Exercise acts directly on the molecular machinery of the brain itself. It increases neurons’ creation, survival, and resistance to damage and stress.
    :smile:
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Weight training IS my cardio
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It's pointless in weightloss because heavy lifting and diet will do it, but it's still an important thing to do every once in a while for other reasons like cardiovascular health, etc. I rarely do cardio so when I do it, it is a lot harder on me now when I used to be able to go an hour with no problem or run a certain distance.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Arnold looks like crap.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Statements that fail to consider goals and context are more pointless.

That being said, I don't do any cardio because it's not necessary given my set of circumstances.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.

There is absolutely NO NEED of any common sense in this thread. *high five*
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    inb4 you call me close minded for saying weight lifting is better then cardio

I don't think you are close minded. I just think you could have presented your case a whole lot better.

This really is about maximising results with the least amount of time commitment.

Let's take an overweight trainee. They have no difficulty with dietary adherence once they are shown what to do. They have no preference one way or other between weights and cardio. Their primary goal is to lose body fat / look good naked. They have a busy life and are time limited.

What would be the most efficient way for them to achieve their goals? Good diet to achieve a consistent calorie deficit and a resistance training programme to preserve LBM (and possibly even increase it slightly.) Cardio is not necessary as their diet is handling their deficit. They do not have an additional endurance goals (running a marathon, riding in the TdF) and so are content with the CV benefits of weights.

However, in the real world many people do not fit into those neat little boxes. Some people have difficulty with dietary adherence so cardio provides a useful insurance policy against over eating. Some people prefer to cardio and find it fun. Some people find weights tedious etc etc.

The statement weights is better than cardio is meaningless without context and bearing in mind an individuals strengths, weaknesses and goals.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Bumping because broscience (on both sides of this argument) makes be laugh :laugh:
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    i bicycle and walk simply because i was totally inactive..have mild breathing problems. so i want to build myself up a little before i even attempt anything else.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    HA.... butt hurt.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I would guess that 90% of the statements made on MFP fall into this category.

Eat more.
    Eat less.
    Cardio sucks
    Strength training is awesome
    Low carb is for everyone
    etc.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I would guess that 90% of the statements made on MFP fall into this category.

Eat more.
    Eat less.
    Cardio sucks
    Strength training is awesome
    Low carb is for everyone
    etc.

I hate people who...
    I love people who...
    I am sexy.
    You are sexy.
    Let's get sexy.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Prepare for a statement that will blow your mind:

Strength training IS cardio.
  • HardLocker
    HardLocker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    for me , cardio is my best choice. I must do cardio OR i will end up eating nothing.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I HATE cardio and LOVE lifting, but I try to do both because I have a layer of fat over my muscle that needs, to be gone, and its also good for your lungs and heart.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I HATE cardio and LOVE lifting, but I try to do both because I have a layer of fat over my muscle that needs, to be gone, and its also good for your lungs and heart.

Also, so I can eat some sweets once in a while :blushing:
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I don't think you are close minded. I just think you could have presented your case a whole lot better.

This really is about maximising results with the least amount of time commitment.

Let's take an overweight trainee. They have no difficulty with dietary adherence once they are shown what to do. They have no preference one way or other between weights and cardio. Their primary goal is to lose body fat / look good naked. They have a busy life and are time limited.

What would be the most efficient way for them to achieve their goals? Good diet to achieve a consistent calorie deficit and a resistance training programme to preserve LBM (and possibly even increase it slightly.) Cardio is not necessary as their diet is handling their deficit. They do not have an additional endurance goals (running a marathon, riding in the TdF) and so are content with the CV benefits of weights.

However, in the real world many people do not fit into those neat little boxes. Some people have difficulty with dietary adherence so cardio provides a useful insurance policy against over eating. Some people prefer to cardio and find it fun. Some people find weights tedious etc etc.

The statement weights is better than cardio is meaningless without context and bearing in mind an individuals strengths, weaknesses and goals.

when you put it like that, i some what agree with you, i guess the fact that most people dont even know how to weight lift and dont use percenteges in weight training. As well as their personal goals are, and yes i could of stated this better, as you can see thread was derailed pretty bad with broscience on all sides.

i still think that eating at a deficit and doing tons of cardio is doable, but its just not efficient in the long term.

and for the guy that said arnold looks bad, please take a look at your self in the mirror and repeat what you just said.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options

when you put it like that, i some what agree with you, i guess the fact that most people dont even know how to weight lift and dont use percenteges in weight training(real weight training takes math, patience, knowledge, strategy and actual know how, not just blindly lifting things up and putting them down), so most people here would disagree with my poorly written statement on the OP. As well as their personal goals are, and yes i could of stated this better, as you can see thread was derailed pretty bad with broscience on all sides.

i still think that eating at a deficit and doing tons of cardio is doable, but its just not efficient in the long term, if you are only doing that!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Life is a sport that requires cardiac fitness!
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

doing cardio is great for health reasons not just weight loss, overtime your heart rate slows down your blood pressure improves decreasing the risk of cardiac/renal and vascular disease among others.