Vegan lifestyle and Awareness about what we're eating!

Options
One thing I know about losing weight is that it's really tough to keep it off and there is only one sure-fire way to do that and that is to change your lifestyle completely. It's been a challenge to change the way I think about food, but over the past year (I started October 2011) it has become easier and easier. I can now say that after fighting with myself for months and months, it's finally become natural, and even easy. And it helps learning more about how amazing eating a raw vegan diet is for you!

I've done a lot of research, and the myth that you can't get all the vitamins and nutrients you need out of eating mainly fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains (like quinoa) is a total farce and something that giant corporations like Cocacola and Walmart, and the government (which is essentially controlled by the big corporations), don't want you to find out.

As much as losing weight is important, I want this board to be a meeting place for all of us to talk about what we REALLY should be eating. And it would also be interesting for some of you to talk about the research you've found--debunking myths about certain foods!

I'll go first:

Cows are pumped up by antibiotics because they are treated so poorly and are milked 20x more than they should be, causing them to have lesions (open wounds) on their utters, which oozes into the milk. Because the environment that the milk is made in is so poor, including coming from unhealthy cows that are inhumanely caged 24/7 and are fed all kinds of crap to make them overweight, the milk has to be pasteurized so much that not only all of the bad bacteria is taken out, but also all of the good bacteria and essential nutrients that we need to digest the milk and the calcium that is in it. Essentially, milk is now TAKING calcium from our own bones in order to digest this liquid nothing/empty calories that we're ingesting. Horrible, right?

Lucky for us, there are many other amazing, natural sources of calcium! Here's the list:

Dried herbs - celery seed (124 mg per tbsp), dried thyme (57), dried dill (53), dried marjoram (40), dried rosemary (38), and sage, sisymbrium, oregano, spearmint, parsley, poppy seed, chervil, dried basil (21)

Chili powder

Sesame seed, flax seed, almond, brazil nut

Green, leafy vegetables - turnip green, spinach, dandelion green, kale, mustard green, collard green, amaranth green, kelp (seaweed), arugula, broccoli

Fruit (preferably dried) - rhubarb, apricot, raisin, plum, pear, orange

Blackstrap molasses

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't care who or what your agenda is and I want to focus on one thing;

You recommend dried fruit over fresh fruit. Really? Why?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Cows are pumped up by antibiotics because they are treated so poorly and are milked 20x more than they should be, causing them to have lesions (open wounds) on their utters, which oozes into the milk. Because the environment that the milk is made in is so poor, including coming from unhealthy cows that are inhumanely caged 24/7 and are fed all kinds of crap to make them overweight, the milk has to be pasteurized so much that not only all of the bad bacteria is taken out, but also all of the good bacteria and essential nutrients that we need to digest the milk and the calcium that is in it. Essentially, milk is now TAKING calcium from our own bones in order to digest this liquid nothing/empty calories that we're ingesting. Horrible, right?

And where, may I ask did you get this information. What "research" did it come from? Do you have any peer reviewed studies?
  • becki101_4
    becki101_4 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So you want me to eat a cup of spice so that I can get my 2000mg of calcium every day? No thanks. Also, pasteurization of milk has been practiced for hundreds of years. It is not a recent thing brought about in response to the "evils of the corporations." If you're that worried about milk, get your dairy products straight from a local farmer. I drank unpasteurized milk from the farm all the time when I was growing up. Guess what, I haven't died!
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lacto-ovo for 20+ years but finding less desire for dairy as I move toward a more Eastern diet. Food. Inc. is a great awareness movie. Food lobbies are real and mold our culture's idea of what is healthy - scary. Realizing how efficient a veggie lifestyle is and the diminished impact to the Earth has kept me committed to it. Looking forward to checking in with you again.
  • ToneItUp87
    Options
    Oh boy, it has started. This is going to just blow up into a huge zombie apocalypse bonanza.
  • cathdrew2
    Options
    Dried fruits offers some advantages over fresh fruits: a longer shelf life and portability. If you are watching your weight, dried fruits should be eaten in moderation as they contain significantly more calories per serving than fresh fruits. Some dried fruits contain sugars added in processing which increase its calorie content. However, dried fruits without additives offer numerous health benefits.
    High Fiber
    Dried fruits generally contains more fiber than the same-sized serving of their fresh counterparts. Fiber helps keep your digestive system running smoothly. Dried apricots, for example, contain 6. 5 g per cup, while fresh apricots contain just 3.1 g. A cup of raisins contains 5.4 g of fiber versus just 1.4 g for seedless grapes.

Antioxidants
    Some dried fruits are a good source of certain antioxidants, according to a 2005 study in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition." Phenols, a type of antioxidant, are more abundant in fruits like dates and figs than in some fresh fruits, leading researchers to advise that more dried fruits be included in the American diet.

Nutrient Density
    Because most of the water is extracted from dried fruits, their nutrients are condensed into a small package. Dried fruits like apricots, raisins, prunes and figs contain high amounts of beta carotene, vitamin E, niacin, iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium, reports the European Food Information Council.

Fat and Calories
    Dried fruits contains little to no fat. They also contain significant calories per serving, making them a natural source of energy for athletes. They are also a good supplement for people seeking to gain weight healthfully.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/231523-health-benefits-of-dried-fruit/#ixzz2CWFlvKQz
  • featherandfern
    featherandfern Posts: 6 Member
    Options

And where, may I ask did you get this information. What "research" did it come from? Do you have any peer reviewed studies?

Many different documentaries. I recommend "Earthlings" for you!
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Calcium isn't what's stopping me from going vegan. I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought there was a chance I could do it without sacrificing protein or totally carbing out on grains/legumes. If anyone knows how I can get at least 120 g of protein a day without going over 120 carbs while eating a vegan diet and not living off supplements, please let me know.
  • featherandfern
    Options
    I don't care who or what your agenda is and I want to focus on one thing;

You recommend dried fruit over fresh fruit. Really? Why?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/339303-vegetables-fruits-that-are-rich-in-calcium/
  • featherandfern
    Options
    So you want me to eat a cup of spice so that I can get my 2000mg of calcium every day? No thanks. Also, pasteurization of milk has been practiced for hundreds of years. It is not a recent thing brought about in response to the "evils of the corporations." If you're that worried about milk, get your dairy products straight from a local farmer. I drank unpasteurized milk from the farm all the time when I was growing up. Guess what, I haven't died!

You only need 1000 mg a day, and it would be unhealthy for you to eat a cup of spice.
  • cathdrew2
    Options
    http://preventdisease.com/news/10/111810_dangers_pasteurization_homogenization.shtml

Here's an easy-to-read starting point on the dangers of pasteurized and homogenized milk. If this information seems shocking to you, perhaps a few minutes Googling the topic would be time well spent. Knowledge is power.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Dried fruits offers some advantages over fresh fruits: a longer shelf life and portability. If you are watching your weight, dried fruits should be eaten in moderation as they contain significantly more calories per serving than fresh fruits. Some dried fruits contain sugars added in processing which increase its calorie content. However, dried fruits without additives offer numerous health benefits.
    So where exactly is the advantage? Don't buy more than you're going to eat and save yourself some cash shelling out for dried.
    High Fiber
    Dried fruits generally contains more fiber than the same-sized serving of their fresh counterparts. Fiber helps keep your digestive system running smoothly. Dried apricots, for example, contain 6. 5 g per cup, while fresh apricots contain just 3.1 g. A cup of raisins contains 5.4 g of fiber versus just 1.4 g for seedless grapes.
    This matters only if you give a flying monkeys about 'serving sizes'.
    Antioxidants
    Some dried fruits are a good source of certain antioxidants, according to a 2005 study in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition." Phenols, a type of antioxidant, are more abundant in fruits like dates and figs than in some fresh fruits, leading researchers to advise that more dried fruits be included in the American diet.
    How do you think the antioxidants got there? Perhaps they were there before they were dried....wouldn't that be crazy?!
    Nutrient Density
    Because most of the water is extracted from dried fruits, their nutrients are condensed into a small package. Dried fruits like apricots, raisins, prunes and figs contain high amounts of beta carotene, vitamin E, niacin, iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium, reports the European Food Information Council.
    Nutrient density usually refers to nutritional density versus calories than physical size, but even so, when is carrying a banana or apple deeply inconvenient compared to carrying a bag of dried fruit?
    Fat and Calories
    Dried fruits contains little to no fat. They also contain significant calories per serving, making them a natural source of energy for athletes. They are also a good supplement for people seeking to gain weight healthfully.
    This is just odd. Neither does fresh fruit. And I wouldn't call dried fruit in a bag natural.
    No. Livestrong is notoriously hit and miss with the information they present. Did you do any research as to the denaturing of nutrient profile of fruit that happens when you dry it?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Documentaries cannot be taken as fact. They are a great chance for people to manipulate circumstances to fit their agenda.

Your "research" is invalid.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have complete respect for people who chose a vegan diet. Personally, I'd find it far too limiting and restrictive. I actually eat a lot of diary...however, I try to consume organic whenever possible. I use Calon Wen full fat dairy products all the way (organic locally Welsh farmed diary products!) expect for yoghurts and eggs because they don't do them yet. I have Yeo Valley yoghurts and One Good Eggs instead. I refuse to consume value diary products!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Documentaries cannot be taken as fact. They are a great chance for people to manipulate circumstances to fit their agenda.

Your "research" is invalid.

^^^THIS! Plus, you can fake a documentary. People do it all the time.
  • cathdrew2
    Options
    Ironanimal, are you sure this is the topic for you? You seem very hostile in your responses. If you have some information counter to the original post, please share the URL. Otherwise, your aggression is unwelcome. I'm sure you haven't forgotten these boards are moderated.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Ironanimal, are you sure this is the topic for you? You seem very hostile in your responses. If you have some information counter to the original post, please share the URL. Otherwise, your aggression is unwelcome. I'm sure you haven't forgotten these boards are moderated.
    Please explain to me where I breached any guidelines. I still want to know why dried fruit is recommended over fresh fruit.

I'm sure this topic is for me. I want to know the answer :wink:
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    http://preventdisease.com/news/10/111810_dangers_pasteurization_homogenization.shtml

Here's an easy-to-read starting point on the dangers of pasteurized and homogenized milk. If this information seems shocking to you, perhaps a few minutes Googling the topic would be time well spent. Knowledge is power.

The "sources" on this article are hilarious. They even have an anti-vaccination section! The science gods are frowning at you right now.
  • featherandfern
    Options
    Calcium isn't what's stopping me from going vegan. I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought there was a chance I could do it without sacrificing protein or totally carbing out on grains/legumes. If anyone knows how I can get at least 120 g of protein a day without going over 120 carbs while eating a vegan diet and not living off supplements, please let me know.

Try checking out my intakes. I only joined yesterday, but everyday I will have new meals, and I will be trying to reach my iron, calcium, protein, carbohydrate, and (good) fat goals eating this way. I'm not perfect, and neither is this way of eating, but I believe it is much better than eating animals and processed foods.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me where I breached any guidelines. I still want to know why dried fruit is recommended over fresh fruit.

I'm sure this topic is for me. I want to know the answer :wink:

I am curious as well.
This discussion has been closed.