Vegan lifestyle and Awareness about what we're eating!

Options

Replies

• samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Tom the turkey , Charley the steer and bob the bacon pig all in my freezer lead a happy ,grass fed , no chemical life right up to the end. My critters get top treatment and they are very tasty.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    While I am pretty sure no one visits these message boards mistaking them for peer reviewed journals...

Low-heat Pasteurization heats the milk to 145° and holds it there for 30 minutes, then it is quickly cooled to prepare for bottling. This is a third type that's mostly used by small dairy farmers shipping milk locally.

One of our Denver-local dairymen himself pointed out to me that ultra-pasturization is key to diminished milk quality of mass produced milk. Here are a few citations *building a case* for this as fact. I am not representing this post as a conclusive meta analysis of the topic, just food for thought.

"The Journal of Nutrition"; Ultra High Temperature Treatment, but Not Pasteurization, Affects the Postprandial Kinetics of Milk Proteins in Humans; Magali Lacroix, et al.; 2008

"The Journal of Nutrition"; Denaturation of the Folacin-Binding Protein in Pasteurized Milk Products; Jessie F. Gregory III; July 1982

University of Minnesota; Raw Milk vs. Pasteurization Debate Revisited; Suzanne Driessen; September 2003

"Nutrition and Dietetics, 2007 Edition"; Margaret McWilliams; 2006

Protein Denaturation
    One issue that arises with ultra-pasteurized milk is the denaturation of the whey protein in the milk. Registered dietitian Margaret McWilliams explains that he extra heat used in ultra-pasteurization breaks some of the structural bonds in the protein, thereby causing it to elongate. This can affect the protein's solubility and how it behaves in your body. A 2008 study published in the "Journal of Nutrition," shows that humans utilize more proteins from postmeal pasteurized or micro-filtered milk than from ultra-pasteurized milk. However, serum nitrogen levels were higher after consuming ultra-pasteurized milk, which the researchers conclude is likely the result of protein denaturation.

Nutrient Loss
    Adding heat to raw milk causes mild nutrient loss in pasteurized milk. The University of Minnesota reports that pasteurized milk loses 3 to 4 percent thiamin, less than 5 percent vitamin E and less than 10 percent of biotin during the heating process. Jesse Gregory III demonstrated in 1982 that the denaturation of milk's whey proteins through pasteurization can decrease how well your body absorbs the milk's vitamin B12. Ultra-pasteurization may further degrade these nutrients, though the increased shelf life of the milk often offsets the additional nutritional cost.

Sterilization
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that raw milk can carry dangerous bacteria like Salmonella, E. coli and Listeria, all of which may pose a significant risk to your health. Pasteurization kills these harmful bacteria, though it may leave other nonpathogenic bacteria that can still cause milk spoilage. Ultra-pasteurization effectively kills all bacteria in the milk. Removal of these bacteria may alter the flavor of the milk.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    @featherandfern: I notice you just joined MFP this month. You may not be aware that they are group forums with people who like to discuss this topic without rancor. Here are a couple: Happy herbivores and Team Vegan.

In my experience, most people who post on the open forums have figured things out for themselves. Most are perfectly satisfied, and may get insulted by someone coming on here and advocating a particular diet.

Please message me if you can't find your way to the group forums.

wait wait wait... so we're being rude and mean?

I have plenty of friends who are vegetarians (even a vegan but I don't see her much these days) I have never had an argument with them over food (other things yes) because they don't try and force me into how they eat nor do they use scare tactics. They eat their salads I eat my salad but mine has chicken.

If you post on an open forum expect open responses, anything else is childish.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    While I am pretty sure no one visits these message boards mistaking them for peer reviewed journals...

Low-heat Pasteurization heats the milk to 145° and holds it there for 30 minutes, then it is quickly cooled to prepare for bottling. This is a third type that's mostly used by small dairy farmers shipping milk locally.

One of our Denver-local dairymen himself pointed out to me that ultra-pasturization is key to diminished milk quality of mass produced milk. Here are a few citations *building a case* for this as fact. I am not representing this post as a conclusive meta analysis of the topic, just food for thought.

"The Journal of Nutrition"; Ultra High Temperature Treatment, but Not Pasteurization, Affects the Postprandial Kinetics of Milk Proteins in Humans; Magali Lacroix, et al.; 2008

"The Journal of Nutrition"; Denaturation of the Folacin-Binding Protein in Pasteurized Milk Products; Jessie F. Gregory III; July 1982

University of Minnesota; Raw Milk vs. Pasteurization Debate Revisited; Suzanne Driessen; September 2003

Protein Denaturation
    One issue that arises with ultra-pasteurized milk is the denaturation of the whey protein in the milk. Registered dietitian Margaret McWilliams explains that he extra heat used in ultra-pasteurization breaks some of the structural bonds in the protein, thereby causing it to elongate. This can affect the protein's solubility and how it behaves in your body. A 2008 study published in the "Journal of Nutrition," shows that humans utilize more proteins from postmeal pasteurized or micro-filtered milk than from ultra-pasteurized milk. However, serum nitrogen levels were higher after consuming ultra-pasteurized milk, which the researchers conclude is likely the result of protein denaturation.

Nutrient Loss
    Adding heat to raw milk causes mild nutrient loss in pasteurized milk. The University of Minnesota reports that pasteurized milk loses 3 to 4 percent thiamin, less than 5 percent vitamin E and less than 10 percent of biotin during the heating process. Jesse Gregory III demonstrated in 1982 that the denaturation of milk's whey proteins through pasteurization can decrease how well your body absorbs the milk's vitamin B12. Ultra-pasteurization may further degrade these nutrients, though the increased shelf life of the milk often offsets the additional nutritional cost.

Sterilization
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that raw milk can carry dangerous bacteria like Salmonella, E. coli and Listeria, all of which may pose a significant risk to your health. Pasteurization kills these harmful bacteria, though it may leave other nonpathogenic bacteria that can still cause milk spoilage. Ultra-pasteurization effectively kills all bacteria in the milk. Removal of these bacteria may alter the flavor of the milk.
    Thank you for proving we shouldn't worry about the milk pasteurisation process.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like my animals. The end. If you're worried about cows or milk, go to a local farm, buy cage free and grass fed, etc. My mom is a vegetarian ( a real one, not the kind that lives off of cereal), I am not, and guess which one of us never gets sicks and isn't borderline anemic?
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    @featherandfern: I notice you just joined MFP this month. You may not be aware that they are group forums with people who like to discuss this topic without rancor. Here are a couple: Happy herbivores and Team Vegan.

In my experience, most people who post on the open forums have figured things out for themselves. Most are perfectly satisfied, and may get insulted by someone coming on here and advocating a particular diet.

I have plenty of friends who are vegetarians (even a vegan but I don't see her much these days) I have never had an argument with them over food (other things yes) because they don't try and force me into how they eat nor do they use scare tactics. They eat their salads I eat my salad but mine has chicken.

Disagreement is ALWAYS viewed as a vicious attack.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Commonly accepted knowledge doesn't require a citation and that is how I clearly represented it.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Peace, BJ.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Where did you get that she said people are rude and mean from? VoV was just suggesting a group that may be beneficial to the OP.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Peace, BJ.
    I love it when you stalk me <3
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Protein Denaturation

Nutrient Loss

Sterilization
    Thank you for proving we shouldn't worry about the milk pasteurisation process.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, just to point out UHT pastuerization is not typically used for the milk that normal consumers buy. It's often used in food preparation in places like fast food restaurants and allows the milk to remain unspoiled at room temperature.

edit: typo
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: wait wait wait... so we're being rude and mean?

I never said anyone was being rude and mean. I said that it that this topic can stir up rancor (bitterness, ill-will, drama) on the open forums. I am merely encouraging the OP to join others who want to discuss the fine-tuning of vegan diets.
  • frando
    Options

Protein Denaturation

Nutrient Loss

Sterilization

lol of course we don't, that's why we ask for proof! Thanks for obliging, by the way.

Anyways, after a quick read, it supports what I said- there is a minimal loss of vitamin uptake, though it maybe the tiredness or the dyslexia talking here (dyslexics untie!) but I can't see anything I should be worrying about. Afterall I eat veggies (look, I had a meat free day today... unless you count fish!) so they would compensate for anything that the minimal shelf life of normal (non UHT) milk would give me. Unless there is a huuuuge dent in the nutritional values (I'm talking 40% plus) I don't see why we should be worried.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

Yes this^ You will find MFP to be often a bit hostile towards vegetarian and vegans especially when you post to the general boards. But I do think those of us who are vegans/vegetarians would be happy to discuss this topic. So I second the suggestion from the poster I quoted above. Welcome to MFP :)
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    By the way, the antibiotic argument is often invalid. In Idaho at least, antibiotics are not allowed in dairy, and that's not even the organic milk.
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The best source I have found for objective and scientific protein requirements is from the World Health Organization http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/nutrientrequirements/WHO_TRS_935/en/index.html - WHO essentially states that the average requirement is .66 g/kg protein a day for adults. For a 75 kg (165 lb) person that comes to 50 grams a day. I get that amount easily with a plant based diet. Maybe you just need more protein than the average person.

Perhaps I do, though I know at least three others in my yoga and gym circles who have had similar struggles trying to go plant-based. I conceded that it's entirely possible your diet works for you and that you're happy with your body composition. Your response may contain a link to a perfectly credible source, but it did nothing to help me understand if it's possible to have a high protein low carb vegan/nearly vegan diet that meets my needs. You just became another person who responded to my genuine question by with a non-answer statement about people requiring less protein than I find optimal in my own diet . Let's just be clear on that. :flowerforyou:

Edited to remove unintended snark.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that she said people are rude and mean from? VoV was just suggesting a group that may be beneficial to the OP.

Agreed, I thought VoV's response was very polite and thoughtful. OP, on the other hand, has not bothered to return and defend the fact that she's trying to inform us of the terrible evils of milk while at the same time having dairy in her food journal.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yes, it is healthier and yes it is a moral wrong to participate in the factory farmed foods. BUT---if a person has the stomach to kill his/her own food--that seems like the only ethical way to do it. It's true---we are too separated from the production of our meat to really grasp what it is to take the life of a fellow creature and eat it. I will not eat meat that has been factory farmed or from a source I do not personally know---that the animal has had a good life and was killed for food by the butcher himself---this doing is too profound to just pretend it doesn't happen. Have some respect. we are part of the food chain too; animals eat animals---but the way we do it with this factory farming is a perversion of nature.

The meat I eat I walk by it before hand, my family prefers to pay extra and go to the local farmer/butcher who raises, kills, butchers and sells the meat. I know he's just started to hang the Christmas turkey's as I didn't see them from the bus today :D

Yes, we are lucky to live in rural areas who can see that the animals are treated properly by our farming families. I'm not sure if people who live in the city like NY realize that this kind of local butcher is still alive and thriving out here in the boonies. The animals live in big pastures or free range chickens. At times they will butcher and sell the meat. I keep chickens and eat the eggs, but I can't kill them because I actually think of them as pets who work for the family. I do not have the stomach to kill an animal even to eat it but I don't see anything wrong with eating their eggs, or a bee's honey. They are not killed.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :smokin:
  • frando
    Options
    QUOTE: wait wait wait... so we're being rude and mean?

I never said anyone was being rude and mean. I said that it can stir up rancor (bitterness, ill-will, drama). I am merely encouraging the OP to join others who want to discuss the fine-tuning of vegan diets.

Rancor, someone with a grudge (http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/rancor), people with grudges are rude and mean (at least I am when I hold one) so yes. That's what I read from the word, at no point have I been rude or suggested I have a grudge against vegetarians (from the piece quoted I pointed out I had friends who are vegetarians). Maybe I just take things too literally?
This discussion has been closed.