Vegan lifestyle and Awareness about what we're eating!

Options

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My spouse and I eat a whole-food plant-based diet (healthy vegan) and it works great for us. There are many things to say about it, but one thing that I think is really misunderstood is the issue of protein. If you eat a whole-food plant-based diet you will get plenty of protein. MFP shows that very clearly. Any unprocessed starch food such as grain, potato, or beans has more than enough protein. Secondly, a starch-based diet is an excellent diet for losing weight. You can't possibly eat enough grain, potato, and beans to over-consume calories. The trick for losing weight was, for us, to eliminate the extra (added) oil. People who say otherwise simply have not seriously tried it. We also eat lots of vegetables. Anyway it works well for us in terms of both losing weight and feeling great.

Unfortunately, this is the answer I always get when I ask about high protein low carb vegan diets: some form of "you don't need as much protein as you think you do." I don't think this post was necessarily intended as a response to my previous post and I don't mean to sound combative, but I think it's kind of a cop out. Many of us, for whatever reason, find the MFP recommendations for protein extremely low for our bodies' needs. As for me specifically, this is not my first rodeo. I know from experience, education, and trial and error that my body responds best to high protein and lower carb (not necessarily low carb). I look better and I feel better. I am jealous that the individual whose post I quoted achieved results they're happy with consuming lower protein and am willing to concede that they may do fine with less.

Currently, I only eat cage-free, free-range animal proteins (plus fish... but I'm not nearly as concerned with the ethical treatment of fish). This has been a way for me to balance my desire to promote kindness to animals with my desire to have a smoking hot body. I would like to cut animal flesh completely from my diet, but as of yet I have not figured out a way to do so without eating 12+ egg whites daily.

I'm getting off topic here, but this has frustrated me immensely. I have great respect for vegetarians and vegans, and anyone else who is opposed to treating intelligent animals cruelly. I just wish I could get a straight answer when I ask about protein. I'm pretty sure the answer is "it's impossible."

Yes, I'm pretty sure the answer is "it's impossible", too. (to your original question, regarding high protein/low carb VEGAN eating, at least if you don't wish to use protein supplements). I wish I could help with that. I don't feel that my protein needs are very high, so I find a vegetarian diet to be fine for me. I applaud your efforts to maintain your choices ethically. With planning, I think you could do this on a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, so maybe if you check out some vegetarian or vegan body builders and what they eat daily, it would help?
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Calcium isn't what's stopping me from going vegan. I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought there was a chance I could do it without sacrificing protein or totally carbing out on grains/legumes. If anyone knows how I can get at least 120 g of protein a day without going over 120 carbs while eating a vegan diet and not living off supplements, please let me know.

Try checking out my intakes. I only joined yesterday, but everyday I will have new meals, and I will be trying to reach my iron, calcium, protein, carbohydrate, and (good) fat goals eating this way. I'm not perfect, and neither is this way of eating, but I believe it is much better than eating animals and processed foods.

So I took you up on that offer and took a look at your diary.

I have one question for you, what is a raw vegan doing eating toast, honey and eggs?

And granulated sugar.

WOW! How do you expect anyone to follow your advice if you don't even grasp the basics of the way of eating you are promoting. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but at least I know what it is! Haven't read the whole thread yet, but if you don't know that eggs and honey aren't vegan, then I'm guessing you are scratching your head wondering what is wrong with granulated sugar.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I recently tried vegan diet for a week out of curiosity. There was just no way I was going to hit my protein goal without blowing carbs through the roof except to use vegan protein powders. It was okay for a week and I didn't have a problem with craving meat (maybe because I kept protein level in usual range) but I found it to be much more expensive and time consuming than just adding a bit of chicken or fish now and then.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    @featherandfern: I notice you just joined MFP this month. You may not be aware that they are group forums with people who like to discuss this topic without rancor. Here are a couple: Happy herbivores and Team Vegan.

In my experience, most people who post on the open forums have figured things out for themselves. Most are perfectly satisfied, and may get insulted by someone coming on here and advocating a particular diet.

Please message me if you can't find your way to the group forums.
    Yes this^ You will find MFP to be often a bit hostile towards vegetarian and vegans especially when you post to the general boards. But I do think those of us who are vegans/vegetarians would be happy to discuss this topic. So I second the suggestion from the poster I quoted above. Welcome to MFP :)

I'm honestly surprised that those who are vegan are not offended by the OP's post. If you check her diary, she is clearly NOT vegan and obviously has no clue as to what it means.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

I'm not even through the first page yet, but a documentary and a livestrong article as conclusive evidence? And an apparent belief that beef can only be obtained from CAFO cattle? Oh yes, I'm in. (And no doubt, I'm sure many will be called "mean" for disagreeing.)

ETA: Looks like this thread spiraled into the ground before I got here. Oh well. Maybe I'll catch the next one.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't mind how or what people eat, much like religion. As long as they do NOT try scare tactics or forcing their opinion on me or my family.

I'm a 100% supporter of animals & their rights. Both with money & time. I do however still eat meat, drink milk & have animal byproducts.

You are happy with your choice as I am with mine. DO NOT try to use scare tactics to get my opinion changed.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    @featherandfern: I notice you just joined MFP this month. You may not be aware that they are group forums with people who like to discuss this topic without rancor. Here are a couple: Happy herbivores and Team Vegan.

In my experience, most people who post on the open forums have figured things out for themselves. Most are perfectly satisfied, and may get insulted by someone coming on here and advocating a particular diet.

Please message me if you can't find your way to the group forums.
    Yes this^ You will find MFP to be often a bit hostile towards vegetarian and vegans especially when you post to the general boards. But I do think those of us who are vegans/vegetarians would be happy to discuss this topic. So I second the suggestion from the poster I quoted above. Welcome to MFP :)

I'm honestly surprised that those who are vegan are not offended by the OP's post. If you check her diary, she is clearly NOT vegan and obviously has no clue as to what it means.

Yep someone who is vegan would clearly not eat eggs at the very least.
  • becketyblue
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of reading about a plant-based lifestyle. If you want the science behind it and don't mind a long, detailed, sometimes boring read, check out The China Study. It's fascinating.

I feel best and strongest when eating a mostly plant based diet, whereas many of my clients feel best eating more animal proteins. (I'm a personal trainer.) Everyone needs to find the way of eating that makes them feel and look their best--there is no one right way.

That said...I still love a good cheeseburger on occasion. :)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Vegans who post **** like this or say **** like this is why people hate vegans.

Shut up and keep your opinions to yourself. If people cared, they would find the information for themself.
    It is ridiculous to think you're going to change the world after submitting one "the government is against us, go vegan" post.

Plus I agree, documentaries can be faked, science is debatable between different studies, you're just, you're just making vegans look bad.

A little angry aren't we? You're making yourself look really immature being so harsh in a healthy discussion. And you're the only one that's mentioned any hate towards a specific group. Come back when you think you can express your opinion with more substance and less anger maybe?

I did 'lol at the fact this lady eats eggs and claims veganism. :( Just need educated I think... unless they are confusing themselves with vegetarianism.

I personally follow as close as I can to a vegan diet. I do it mainly because it's the diet that makes me the happiest and have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun with the cooking part of it. I make three cooked meals a day almost all from scratch so I feel very clean. But I don't limit myself and get snobby about it. There's so much fun to be had when you understand what you are putting in your body whether it's meat or diary or vegetables. I really recommend everyone to research as much as you can about what goes into our food. You'll come out more knowledgeable and healthier because of it. There is A LOT of garbage to sift through and all foods have an "unhealthy" version of themselves laced with chemicals and nasty additives.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cows are pumped up by antibiotics because they are treated so poorly and are milked 20x more than they should be, causing them to have lesions (open wounds) on their utters, which oozes into the milk. Because the environment that the milk is made in is so poor, including coming from unhealthy cows that are inhumanely caged 24/7 and are fed all kinds of crap to make them overweight, the milk has to be pasteurized so much that not only all of the bad bacteria is taken out, but also all of the good bacteria and essential nutrients that we need to digest the milk and the calcium that is in it. Essentially, milk is now TAKING calcium from our own bones in order to digest this liquid nothing/empty calories that we're ingesting. Horrible, right?

Not all cows are mistreated!! It must be hell where you live!
    I tried to use the 'quote' thing for op's post but it didn't work. PLEASE realise I'm quoting the OP !!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I see we added FoK and The China Study overnight.

Good work so far. We're picking up some more of the main points. Keep going.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

We're going to all the predictable places... HOORAY!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

This sounds a little cynical to me. New people should be able to hash around things we oldtimers have seen before. I, for one, have no desire to try to convince anyone of anything pertaining to diet. I have my own reasons for favoring veganism, and that's about all I want to say about it.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

This sounds a little cynical to me. New people should be able to hash around things we oldtimers have seen before. I, for one, have no desire to try to convince anyone of anything pertaining to diet. I have my own reasons for favoring veganism, and that's about all I want to say about it.

You're right... and I was a little snarky in my last post so I apologize.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I wish a vegan lifestyle had worked for me, but I had no energy and felt awful on it.

What you say about dairy cattle - not true - not around here, anyway. I lived in a valley full of dairy farms for 20 years and saw how the cows were treated. They had pastures, were milked twice per day, had special mats on the floor of the barn to protect the cow's feet (standing on concrete isn't good for you), etc.
    03428 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Stop with the vegan hate!
    Also, vegans, add me :)
  • TaraKathleen5
    TaraKathleen5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cows are pumped up by antibiotics because they are treated so poorly and are milked 20x more than they should be, causing them to have lesions (open wounds) on their utters, which oozes into the milk. Because the environment that the milk is made in is so poor, including coming from unhealthy cows that are inhumanely caged 24/7 and are fed all kinds of crap to make them overweight, the milk has to be pasteurized so much that not only all of the bad bacteria is taken out, but also all of the good bacteria and essential nutrients that we need to digest the milk and the calcium that is in it. Essentially, milk is now TAKING calcium from our own bones in order to digest this liquid nothing/empty calories that we're ingesting. Horrible, right?

And where, may I ask did you get this information. What "research" did it come from? Do you have any peer reviewed studies?

Many different documentaries. I recommend "Earthlings" for you!

It's all true. you tube some stuff.
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lol i agree
    such anger on this forum..if u dont like it jus close the page
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Vegans who post **** like this or say **** like this is why people hate vegans.

Shut up and keep your opinions to yourself. If people cared, they would find the information for themself.
    It is ridiculous to think you're going to change the world after submitting one "the government is against us, go vegan" post.

Plus I agree, documentaries can be faked, science is debatable between different studies, you're just, you're just making vegans look bad.

A little angry aren't we? You're making yourself look really immature being so harsh in a healthy discussion. And you're the only one that's mentioned any hate towards a specific group. Come back when you think you can express your opinion with more substance and less anger maybe?

I did 'lol at the fact this lady eats eggs and claims veganism. :( Just need educated I think... unless they are confusing themselves with vegetarianism.

lol exactly
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    A post like this might be better suited toward a group - feel free to search Happy Herbivores or Team Vegan.

Generally, a post like this that isn't made in response to someone's question about a vegan lifestyle garners nothing but negative attention.
This discussion has been closed.